Prospect Info: 47OA: Brady Cleveland

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
Not to get upset about our third pick in the second round, but this is a complete waste.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
3rd pairing dman that leads your pk. Skates extremely well and plays with violence. Big one here is the skating at 6’5” 210 with a long runway in college at Wisconsin. Certainly would have picked other players but he has NHL projectable qualities.

I see a bunch of this group didn’t learn from the hot take Bertuzzi thread. Also feels like we have been criticizing not using our back yard USMNTDP more.

Last edited:

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
It feels like most recent years they've gone off-board in the 2nd round. Besides maybe perhaps Mazur, it's proven to be real stinkers. So not getting my hopes up on this one.

This draft smells 2017 to me.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
3rd pairing dman that leads your pk. Skates extremely well and plays with violence. Big one here is the skating at 6’5” 210 with a long runway in college at Wisconsin. Certainly would have picked other players but his has NHL projectable qualities.

I see a bunch of this group didn’t learn from the hot take Bertuzzi thread. Also feels like we have been criticizing not using our back yard USMNTDP more.
He does not skate extremely well. I don't know why you would say that. Compare him to Brandon Carlo if you want to see someone of a similar frame skate extremely well as a draft eligible.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Laughed after reading this.

- Every team wants to find the next Cale Makar – a fast, puck-moving defenceman who can control the play and create offensive chances every time they’re on the ice, regardless of size.
- Brady Cleveland is not the next Makar. Measuring nearly 6-foot-5 and 210 pounds at the NHL Draft Combine, he is a lumbering behemoth on the National Team Development Program’s (NTDP) blue line.
- But if the Vegas Golden Knights’ Stanley Cup win taught us anything, it’s that there’s still a place for big, bruising defensemen who can wear down the opposition, and in the 2023 NHL Draft class, there isn’t a player that can do that better than Cleveland.
- Known for being a punishing hitter, he’s one of the toughest players at the United States Hockey League (USHL) level. This season, he led the NTDP with 106 penalty minutes, 30 of which came in a single game after he removed his helmet in a fight.
- He doesn’t do anything halfway, so when he commits to a hit or a fight, he gives it his all.
- It’s made him one of the most feared players on the National Team, even though he is usually the seventh defenceman on the roster.

This guy is a killer. Have to love it. :D

This is the old Red Wings. Gibson from same mold.

Leibinger6

Jul 26, 2018
Just an awful pick here.

Steve and Drapes looked stressed and confused on all those picks. As if they hadn’t communicated until 5 minutes before and didn’t know any players names to draft. If you were planning to reach that far down the board, what took so long to trade down? If they missed on a forward who went just before them, the move was to trade up. Baffled at not just the positions, but the players. Literally grinding out for 3rd pairing D in the 2nd round. Wow.

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
I'm sure fans were ecstatic to draft Erik Cernak in 2015, 2nd round.

He's got a couple of cups now.

Pronman on Cernak:

Pronman on Cleveland:
"Cleveland is the type of big, hyper-physical, “mean as hell” type of defenseman that NHL teams covet. He skates quite well for a big man too. He would be a highly-rated prospect if he had any offence, but he has very little puck game. He struggles to consistently execute outlet passes or provide any type of secondary offence. I get the temptation to compare him to former U.S. NTDP defenseman Kleven. They are similar in some regards, and Kleven currently looks like a very good pro prospect, but I think Cleveland has less puck game than Kleven and it’s why his coaches limited his ice time in games this season. He’s a unique and highly coveted player type if he hits, but the path to him getting there is a bit of a longshot.”

Reactions: Henkka

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Big and physical d-men are great but to ever build any meaningful NHL career you need some level of puck skills, period. Generally, minimal point production in U17/U18 hockey isn't a great sign of that.

With that being said, I've never seen him play and hope that he has some hidden skill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad