Prospect Info: #46 Overall, RD Seamus Casey US-NTDP

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I’m not down on this pick but I find it interesting that Fitz has not prioritized size, physicality and pure defensive defensemen at RD when previous statements ran counter to these selections. Sure, Warren and Chesley were off the board just barely but I can’t help but think of either player was coveted, there would have been a trade up (not as much Chesley because they used it as part of Washington trade). Then again, this GM has been completely passive when it comes to moving up to get a targeted player.

For the record, I do like the Nemec pick a great deal but would have slightly preferred Jiricek.
They obviously saw something they liked. He played for about the highest profile junior program around and must have been scouted in person multiple times by multiple NJ scouts. Presumably a number of scouts had to buy in on him. He may project as a good partner for a bigger more defensive oriented player. NJ has several of those and more on the way.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
sheamus-20.jpg
Seamus in a few years hopefully...

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Casey is not boom/bust. He's got a nice, high floor.

I disagree. He's got ways to go to brush up on his defense and overcome his size "issues". Not to mention, he's not fast for his size. I consider him boom/bust because this kid has very good offensive potential but so far it hasn't really happened in production as much as I would've liked to see, and his defense is still not quite there yet imo.

I don't see how an undersized, and not so fast d-man can be considered safe, high floor.

I do like the pick though because I see it as an upside pick.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Reading some things, he looks like a right-handed Ty Smith on paper

That was my first thought too.

Can't help thinking management drafted college bound and European players to temper expectations and use the "we're building for the future" canard that works for the Rangers.

My3Sons

Sponsor
That was my first thought too.

Can't help thinking management drafted college bound and European players to temper expectations and use the "we're building for the future" canard that works for the Rangers.
I’m not sure what you intended here but as I read your post you are suggesting the team drafted college bound and European players so the fan base isn’t excited? I know you are skeptical of the regime/ownership but this doesn’t logically flow. Players from Europe and college bound in rounds beyond the first make sense as they are almost unhversally going to need development time. They all have a place to play while they do that and the Wuropean players can sometimes present good upside as they might be under scouted. I can understand being disappointed with any pick but I’ll guess the NJ scouts saw something in the players they picked beyond them going to school or playing overseas.

My3Sons

Sponsor
"We had guys in our group that had him at potentially No. 1 in the US." - Dennehy

That's a pretty weighty statement. Very intriguing pick.
I'm not sure I understand that comment. Some of the NJ scouts saw him as the single best US player for this draft? If so, that's high praise to quote Andy Samberg quoting Nicholas Cage.

Reactions: mdj12784

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
I’m not down on this pick but I find it interesting that Fitz has not prioritized size, physicality and pure defensive defensemen at RD when previous statements ran counter to these selections. Sure, Warren and Chesley were off the board just barely but I can’t help but think of either player was coveted, there would have been a trade up (not as much Chesley because they used it as part of Washington trade). Then again, this GM has been completely passive when it comes to moving up to get a targeted player.

For the record, I do like the Nemec pick a great deal but would have slightly preferred Jiricek.
Washington got one up on Fitz swapping the second rounders Chesley would have been the better pick imo and has the physical play we needed....

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey

Chesley taken with our 2nd kinda sucks for the reasons you mentioned

Reactions: longislanddevil

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Who knows who they liked there. Maybe they pick Casey anyway at 37 with the glowing reviews Dennehey offered.
True we don't know if Casey is the pick at 37 anyway and don't get me wrong I liked the trade for the goalie but in the end the better RHD prospect went to the Caps....Chesley should have gone in the first round...

My3Sons

Sponsor
True we don't know if Casey is the pick at 37 anyway and don't get me wrong I liked the trade for the goalie but in the end the better RHD prospect went to the Caps....Chesley should have gone in the first round...
I have given up trying to figure out what NJ’s scouts see in the players. They watch these players a lot more than me so I have to assume they are fair and honest in their evaluations and you have to imagine some of them are competent. Who knows what goes on behind the scenes that we don’t see. You know some of these kids drink smoke pot have a kid already failed out of school have an arrest record etc. some are probably jerks or make a terrible impression. Some have parents that are awful and some are probably using PEDs. Without all that background we only get part of the picture.

Reactions: mdj12784

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I had him at 6 in my final rankings (I know I'm in minority) but this kid has some seriously special talent. Can't believe he was available at 46 and we got him.

I can't remember the last time I really approved of a devils draft, but it's hard to complain much about this year, even for me.

He's going to be our next Rafalski.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
I had him at 6 in my final rankings (I know I'm in minority) but this kid has some seriously special talent. Can't believe he was available at 46 and we got him.

I can't remember the last time I really approved of a devils draft, but it's hard to complain much about this year, even for me.

He's going to be our next Rafalski.
Mind giving a little sum-up of what you think makes him so special?

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008

The kid was really special a while ago but hasn't really progressed as much as I would've liked. Kinda similar to Wright, although not with nearly the same status. He had insane offensive talent and potential pre us development program. Even in his first year there, he showed a lot of promise but idk, this past season.... just hasn't really shown much improvement imo. His size was a major concern before and still is. At where we picked, it's a great value pick but anyone thinking he's top 10 is a bit in denial imo.

I briefly mentioned him here: Prospect Info: - 2022 NHL Draft Prospects and here: Prospect Info: - 2022 NHL Draft Prospects

He was once a guy who considered to be in same tier as Nemec and Jiricek. Nemec really popped off this past season but Casey didn't, so here we are...with both of them haha. It can turn out to be an absolute steal.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He is an incredible retrieval and breakout defender and makes great reads to break forecheck pressure. Positionally sound, and great defensive instincts around the net. While he lacks size, he knows how to get under bigger players and create leverage.

Offensively, he's extremely talented in his ability to walk the blue line and open up passing opportunities. Possesses a very dangerous wrist shot, similar in technique to Justin Schultz, and uses his deception skills to create open shooting lanes. Dynamic lateral mobility and transition skating allows him to explode into open ice, leaving wingers in the dust. He's also the best puck handling defenseman in the draft.

Devil made me do it

Nov 28, 2009
California
The kid was really special a while ago but hasn't really progressed as much as I would've liked. Kinda similar to Wright, although not with nearly the same status. He had insane offensive talent and potential pre us development program. Even in his first year there, he showed a lot of promise but idk, this past season.... just hasn't really shown much improvement imo. His size was a major concern before and still is. At where we picked, it's a great value pick but anyone thinking he's top 10 is a bit in denial imo.

I briefly mentioned him here: Prospect Info: - 2022 NHL Draft Prospects and here: Prospect Info: - 2022 NHL Draft Prospects

He was once a guy who considered to be in same tier as Nemec and Jiricek. Nemec really popped off this past season but Casey didn't, so here we are...with both of them haha. It can turn out to be an absolute steal.

Nemec has been good for the last 3 years. He was already considered a top defensive prospect in 2020.

I see Casey's ceiling as a solid bottom pairing defenseman. A more skilled version of Will Butcher.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad