GDT: #42| New York Islanders @ Columbus Blue Jackets | January 10th | 7:00 PM | F/W 5-2

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
Top 4 is, CBJ is good when healthy but NJD & Carolina are terrible.

Every division has a stinker or two. When your division contains at least 3 contenders you are no longer the red headed step-child of the league. PIT/NYI/NYR are all legit contenders.

BossyMVP

Die SABRES die
Jun 27, 2011
Long Island
My phallic member is impressive right now thinking of tuesday. I stopped drinking during the week but for this night, i may make an exception.

DeanCorso

Feb 20, 2014
Canada
I was looking at the standing if you took OT loser point the Isles would lead by 6pts!! shows how good this team is.

Isles - 56pts

Pens - 50pts

WSH - 44pts

Rags - 46pts

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
Exactly. Boychuk should've been launching bombs after that.

Always hated Dubinsky. I wanted someone to pound him after that slash, but I realized there was no one on the ice who was going to go after him.

I'm still pissed the refs saved his life a few years back when he was jawing to start with trevor gillies pre puck drop at the end of a game and the refs sent them both to the room.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
This game bought CJ and Stait some more games, ugh.

Columbus played a very cheap game. Lots of hacking, and hooking, and BS.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
That was a pretty good win from the team tonight.

Thought that offensively they were really creating some chances. Strome had a great night, as demonstrated by yet another multipoint game. Strait was a positive tonight, which is surprising and great, and Hickey rebounded as well. Johnson gave the team what they needed and made a few key stops when the game was still tight.

Savard is a POS.

Really big game against the Rags on Tuesday. Hopefully the team puts a little separation between the two because we know every time we scoreboard watch it doesn't do us any good. Need to handle our own business.

how does that even work? when a team gets another penalty on a 5v3?

The most recent penalty time will not start until the first one expires. It's a real ***** to stack penalties like that. All kinds of crazy consequences.

Here's the rule per wiki:

"When two players on one team are in the penalty box at the same time, it becomes a 5 on 3 situation. When a third player of the same team gets a penalty before either of the other two have expired, it remains 5 on 3 and it becomes a stacked penalties situation. This means that the third penalty will start when one of the others expire, whether the time expires or the opposing team scores on the powerplay. This is because there can be no fewer than three skaters for each team on the ice at one time. This also means that the player whose penalty expires first out of the three must wait for a stoppage in play, or the expiration of the second penalty, before leaving the penalty box so that it is appropriately 5 on 3, 5 on 4, and 5 on 5 in succession for each respective situation. In overtime, only 4 skaters are played per team. If a team gets two penalties before the first expires, the team keeps three skaters on the ice. Instead, the other team is allowed to play an extra skater for the duration, making it a 5 on 3 situation, rather than a 4 on 2.[20]"

Well, Johnson beat that monkey off. Now we can move on!

That damn monkey just keeps coming back for more.

KnishOfTheCrease

Chez Pierre Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2010
Las Vegas
Not a Cappy fan, but the team did re-apply pressure after slowing down in the 3rd. I'd like to think he's improving as a coach and he changed up sending out a line , sent a message and got the team refocused. But I doubt it.

That was Doug Weight chewing gum and sipping water. Look in his eyes and it breeds desire. Unfortunately it doesn't have that affect on the PP units.

Menwithouthat tricks

Dec 25, 2002
Visit site
I was looking at the standing if you took OT loser point the Isles would lead by 6pts!! shows how good this team is.

Isles - 56pts

Pens - 50pts

WSH - 44pts

Rags - 46pts

But that goes both ways - if you took out the Shoot-out winner point (i.e. if the game isn't decided by OT, then the game is a tie; alternatively, to recognize that the impressive shootout record we have is to a large part chance).

Then, Pittsburgh would lead the division with 54pts, Washington and the Isles would be tied at 51pts, and the Rags would be at 48pts with 4 games in hand.

The Isles are within a Ranger victory on Tuesday of essentially being in an even position with the Rangers. (As I write this, the Rags are up 2-0 on the Sharks).

Islesin93*

Jan 29, 2008
missed the game but watching the replay, Capuano is an idiot for putting on Tavares and Okposo at the end, like when he called a timeout against Detroit a couple of years ago when the Islanders were up by 3 goals with like a minute left, doing things like this can be costly as it will just piss off the opponent for the next time we play them, or it can create an injury like with Dubinsky slashing Okposo or that scum at the end of the game, Capuano is a real idiot

and if it is Weight who is responsible for this than he is the idiot, doing things like this will come back and bite us in the ass, not a good reputation to have

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
....like when he called a timeout against Detroit a couple of years ago when the Islanders were up by 3 goals with like a minute left

You can argue in this case he shouldn't have put Tavares on the ice, but the timeout made sense since Tavares played a long shift and the Islanders iced the puck

Islesin93*

Jan 29, 2008
You can argue in this case he shouldn't have put Tavares on the ice, but the timeout made sense since Tavares played a long shift and the Islanders iced the puck

there were 23 seconds left in the game and the Isles were up by 4, I agree with Don Cherry in this clip that that injury thing was an excuse, regardless of how long Tavares was on the Ice I am sure he could have sucked up the last 23 seconds or gone right to the bench after the puck dropped

Cherry was wrong however about the Wings winning their next game against us

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
there were 23 seconds left in the game and the Isles were up by 4, I agree with Don Cherry in this clip that that injury thing was an excuse, regardless of how long Tavares was on the Ice I am sure he could have sucked up the last 23 seconds or gone right to the bench after the puck dropped

Cherry was wrong however about the Wings winning their next game against us

I wonder what Maclean is looking at.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
rags win tonight again :cry:

Tuesday night is crucial.

Tuesday night is showdown time for bragging rights (for now).
We beat them already.
No Isles fan should fool themselves or be arrogant and ignorant about the Rags, they are a very good team. We are a very good team. I am saying very close to equal just depends on execution, momentum, maybe puck luck.

This should be a very good game. Both teams have a fast pace, fast skating team. They have Henrik and that is always an advantage no matter how good Halak is playing. Could be a real defensive game but not a borefest like the Devils. These two teams do not play Devils hockey.
AV is a very good coach and will have them prepared. Cappy/Weight?
If it sounds like I have respect for them you are right. It is not th various players there I hate.......it is their entitled, arrogant fan base that makes them Pee Smells.

Time for Tavares and Okposo to step up and lead. JT has been there lately, Okposo not so much.

I want this one. LGI

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Tuesday night is showdown time for bragging rights (for now).
We beat them already.
No Isles fan should fool themselves or be arrogant and ignorant about the Rags, they are a very good team. We are a very good team. I am saying very close to equal just depends on execution, momentum, maybe puck luck.

This should be a very good game. Both teams have a fast pace, fast skating team. They have Henrik and that is always an advantage no matter how good Halak is playing. Could be a real defensive game but not a borefest like the Devils. These two teams do not play Devils hockey.
AV is a very good coach and will have them prepared. Cappy/Weight?
If it sounds like I have respect for them you are right. It is not th various players there I hate.......it is their entitled, arrogant fan base that makes them Pee Smells.

Time for Tavares and Okposo to step up and lead. JT has been there lately, Okposo not so much.

I want this one. LGI

100% agree..they are blistering hot right now their special teams are both clicking and Henrik is locked in at the moment. Hopefully Jaro stays in the net and doesn't have a bone head stick handling mistake. I also don't want Kreider bowling over Jaro, something about that guy I don't trust.

Gonna be a tough game, definitely a playoff feel and sure the boys will be up for the challenge.

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
I REALLY hope Lubo is back for Tuesdays game, the idea of Strait in against the Rags makes me cringe (especially with Cappys crush on him).

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
I checked out the CBJ board to see what their fans thought of the Isles, and wow, they are like the polar opposite of Rags fans. I want to share these two quotes because I can't remember other teams' fans feeling this way about our beloved Islanders:

"We aren't supposed to be as good as the Isles, but we're not even in the same league."

"Now the Islanders...now there's a first class hockey team. They can fly out there, their passes are crisp and accurate, very dynamic team. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see them representing the East in the SCF this year."

I think CBJ is a good team having a bad stretch, but they looked bad from what I saw of last night (which admittedly wasn't much), but it's amazing to see a solid team's fans impressed by the Islanders after all these years.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
I checked out the CBJ board to see what their fans thought of the Isles, and wow, they are like the polar opposite of Rags fans. I want to share these two quotes because I can't remember other teams' fans feeling this way about our beloved Islanders:

"We aren't supposed to be as good as the Isles, but we're not even in the same league."

"Now the Islanders...now there's a first class hockey team. They can fly out there, their passes are crisp and accurate, very dynamic team. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see them representing the East in the SCF this year."

I think CBJ is a good team having a bad stretch, but they looked bad from what I saw of last night (which admittedly wasn't much), but it's amazing to see a solid team's fans impressed by the Islanders after all these years.

I thought they had won like 7 out of 10 coming into yesterday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad