GDT: #42| New York Islanders @ Columbus Blue Jackets | January 10th | 7:00 PM | F/W 5-2

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
I checked out the CBJ board to see what their fans thought of the Isles, and wow, they are like the polar opposite of Rags fans. I want to share these two quotes because I can't remember other teams' fans feeling this way about our beloved Islanders:

"We aren't supposed to be as good as the Isles, but we're not even in the same league."

"Now the Islanders...now there's a first class hockey team. They can fly out there, their passes are crisp and accurate, very dynamic team. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see them representing the East in the SCF this year."

I think CBJ is a good team having a bad stretch, but they looked bad from what I saw of last night (which admittedly wasn't much), but it's amazing to see a solid team's fans impressed by the Islanders after all these years.

They don't have 70+ years and only winning 1 championship to make them bitter. That said they saw one of our most complete games of the year. It would be interesting to see them and us playing their A game.

Jiggs

Mar 1, 2003
Paradise
Big win for Chad Johnson's confidence last night, although he didnt have much work, he made some timely saves. Most importantly, he didnt look shaky- he stood his ground and limited his bad rebounds(Foligno's goal)which have been his achillles heel thus far.

Capuano's got to put this guy in against the lower scoring teams and the lesser lights in order to give Halak some rest- because, no Halak= no chance. This is something Capuano has surprisingly not focused on and with Halak not being known as a workhorse you dont want to risk injury to the most important Islander(sorry JT).

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
I REALLY hope Lubo is back for Tuesdays game, the idea of Strait in against the Rags makes me cringe (especially with Cappys crush on him).

I agree, but we have to give credit where it is due. I am not a Strait fan, but he has played well in two back-to-back games. I am not sure if he has figured it out, or just has had a lucky couple of games, but he really played well last night (and in the NJD game) and I am not just referring to the goal and assist. He played solid D. I, too, want Lubo back, though.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
Big win for Chad Johnson's confidence last night, although he didnt have much work, he made some timely saves. Most importantly, he didnt look shaky- he stood his ground and limited his bad rebounds(Foligno's goal)which have been his achillles heel thus far.

Capuano's got to put this guy in against the lower scoring teams and the lesser lights in order to give Halak some rest- because, no Halak= no chance. This is something Capuano has surprisingly not focused on and with Halak not being known as a workhorse you dont want to risk injury to the most important Islander(sorry JT).

CJ looked pretty bad last night. That second goal was pathetic, he just fell down... couldnt get over. He must have the worst lateral movement in the league. Reason we won is we gave up like 18 shots... he was still below .900, again.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
CJ looked pretty bad last night. That second goal was pathetic, he just fell down... couldnt get over. He must have the worst lateral movement in the league. Reason we won is we gave up like 18 shots... he was still below .900, again.

I dunno... I thought he was pretty good. If he plays like he did last night every game he plays then I think he will be an adequate backup.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Thank god we're complaining about a backup goalie and not our entire 2nd line or top 4 dmen like a few seasons ago.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
Tuesday night is showdown time for bragging rights (for now).
We beat them already.
No Isles fan should fool themselves or be arrogant and ignorant about the Rags, they are a very good team. We are a very good team. I am saying very close to equal just depends on execution, momentum, maybe puck luck.

This should be a very good game. Both teams have a fast pace, fast skating team. They have Henrik and that is always an advantage no matter how good Halak is playing. Could be a real defensive game but not a borefest like the Devils. These two teams do not play Devils hockey.
AV is a very good coach and will have them prepared. Cappy/Weight?
If it sounds like I have respect for them you are right. It is not th various players there I hate.......it is their entitled, arrogant fan base that makes them Pee Smells.

Time for Tavares and Okposo to step up and lead. JT has been there lately, Okposo not so much.

I want this one. LGI

Yup, well stated. Rangers are no slouches by any stretch, and just because we've been ahead of them most of season doesn't mean that we are all that much better. I think our offense is better than the rags, but its close; rags defense is better than us, but its close; Lundqvist is better than Halak, but again its close. I think our guys have a higher "battle level" however :sarcasm:

Their fans are the worst, and that was the single worst thing about them being in the finals last season. I have these idiots-bandwagon types--looking at me like I'm crazy when i tell them I *hate* the rangers. If they win tuesday night, every non-hockey dumbass will be proclaiming the rags as the superior team. (Francessa drives me crazy with this, he doesn't know squat about the game, and think he can give a valuable opinion on it)

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
I checked out the CBJ board to see what their fans thought of the Isles, and wow, they are like the polar opposite of Rags fans. I want to share these two quotes because I can't remember other teams' fans feeling this way about our beloved Islanders:

"We aren't supposed to be as good as the Isles, but we're not even in the same league."

"Now the Islanders...now there's a first class hockey team. They can fly out there, their passes are crisp and accurate, very dynamic team. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see them representing the East in the SCF this year."

I think CBJ is a good team having a bad stretch, but they looked bad from what I saw of last night (which admittedly wasn't much), but it's amazing to see a solid team's fans impressed by the Islanders after all these years.

Very nice to see people taking notice.

Biggest take away last night, CJ getting some confidence back. That could mean more to us down the stretch than the 2 points.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
That was a pretty good win from the team tonight.

Thought that offensively they were really creating some chances. Strome had a great night, as demonstrated by yet another multipoint game. Strait was a positive tonight, which is surprising and great, and Hickey rebounded as well. Johnson gave the team what they needed and made a few key stops when the game was still tight.

Savard is a POS.

Really big game against the Rags on Tuesday. Hopefully the team puts a little separation between the two because we know every time we scoreboard watch it doesn't do us any good. Need to handle our own business.

The most recent penalty time will not start until the first one expires. It's a real ***** to stack penalties like that. All kinds of crazy consequences.

Here's the rule per wiki:

"When two players on one team are in the penalty box at the same time, it becomes a 5 on 3 situation. When a third player of the same team gets a penalty before either of the other two have expired, it remains 5 on 3 and it becomes a stacked penalties situation. This means that the third penalty will start when one of the others expire, whether the time expires or the opposing team scores on the powerplay. This is because there can be no fewer than three skaters for each team on the ice at one time. This also means that the player whose penalty expires first out of the three must wait for a stoppage in play, or the expiration of the second penalty, before leaving the penalty box so that it is appropriately 5 on 3, 5 on 4, and 5 on 5 in succession for each respective situation. In overtime, only 4 skaters are played per team. If a team gets two penalties before the first expires, the team keeps three skaters on the ice. Instead, the other team is allowed to play an extra skater for the duration, making it a 5 on 3 situation, rather than a 4 on 2.[20]"

That damn monkey just keeps coming back for more.

I thought grabner had a great game, do you agree?

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
I dunno... I thought he was pretty good. If he plays like he did last night every game he plays then I think he will be an adequate backup.

He was a .890 last night. The second goal he fell to the left when the guy was shooting from his right.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002

he also over commits to one side or the other which might make it look like his lateral movement is poor. he's just always too far out of position!! i mean, i can see this, other fans can see this, the goalie coach must see this, why can't johnson fix it?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I thought grabner had a great game, do you agree?

I wouldn't use the term great to define his play. He looked alright, but was one of the least noticeable players on the ice offensively for the team. A few looks, but nothing crazy.

He's still coming back from that surgery and then being banged up again, so he still has time. I just don't think he's good enough to warrant the team living with poor play while he's trying to get back to game shape if there are alternatives (not suggesting he played poorly, purely a hypothetical).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad