GDT: #41 | Blues at FLYERS | Sat., Jan. 6, 2018, 1:00 pm ET | SN, NBCSP, FS-MW

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Watching Hak's interview (I'm a hero, I know)......he admitted part of why he put Lehtera in was to face his former team. I thought he'd completely dismiss it, but he admitted it. This is a guy who benched Sanheim for the home opener when his parents flew into town. What a softy.

He really showed them!

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Body contact makes players nervous and makes players hurry the puck when the normally wouldn't. First goal doesn't happen without ghoul forcing the play. Skill and pounding are the best combo.
Like I said, I'm 100000% behind a skilled player who's also physical.

I've never been against hitting, I'm only against guys who ONLY hit and can't do the other necessary parts of hockey.

Reactions: AdamParrot

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
DS4uV-iXcAAeRU6

Simmonds' legs... How is that even possible?

I just love Simmer. He gives us guys with chicken legs a lot of hope. :D

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Backtracking much?

Goul was heads and shoulders above Leier, because while neither can make plays (Leier 1-3 isn't much better than Goul's probable 0-0), Goul is just as fast and he hits people from the moment he hit the ice. Not just the goal by Laughton, but in the 3rd period, he hits the D-man who ices the puck out of panic when he sees Goul gunning for him.

Hitting intimidates. Now you're not going to have a team of guys who hit unless you can clone Gordie Howe, but you want a few of these guys, the way Gudas makes people slow up at the blue line, Goul makes people hurry in their own D-zone and make mistakes.

This is why I want NAK over Leier, why I look forward to Ratcliffe when he grows up, etc.

And you need defensemen to clear the crease, early in the game St Louis D-men knocked down Filppula and literally shoved Simmonds all the way across the crease, eliminating screens. Size matters, put Allison in the crease and he'll be tougher to move.

Hitting and size aren't the be all and end all, but they make a difference. And their absence is obvious.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The other thing this game showed is that G, Couts and Voracek can't do it alone, when other players step up, it makes a big difference. Depth has been the problem on this team for 5 years. Weal becoming the player he looked like at the end of last year would help, Konecny is stepping up his game, now if only Patrick could find his legs.

Lehtera is terrible, I think Hakstol hoped playing his old team would give him an adrenaline rush, but forget it, just stick a fork in him.

My suspicion is that Lindblom is coming up in the next couple weeks, he's hit his stride in the AHL, and would fit right in the top nine.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Backtracking much?

Goul was heads and shoulders above Leier, because while neither can make plays (Leier 1-3 isn't much better than Goul's probable 0-0), Goul is just as fast and he hits people from the moment he hit the ice. Not just the goal by Laughton, but in the 3rd period, he hits the D-man who ices the puck out of panic when he sees Goul gunning for him.

Hitting intimidates. Now you're not going to have a team of guys who hit unless you can clone Gordie Howe, but you want a few of these guys, the way Gudas makes people slow up at the blue line, Goul makes people hurry in their own D-zone and make mistakes.

This is why I want NAK over Leier, why I look forward to Ratcliffe when he grows up, etc.

And you need defensemen to clear the crease, early in the game St Louis D-men knocked down Filppula and literally shoved Simmonds all the way across the crease, eliminating screens. Size matters, put Allison in the crease and he'll be tougher to move.

Hitting and size aren't the be all and end all, but they make a difference. And their absence is obvious.
Seriously. Just admit when someone’s point was correct. Now that it’s happened, it makes sense to inject physical play to a boring team with poor effort. Sends a clear message as to what your boss is looking for.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Apart from the obvious, my big positive from this game is Gudas having the 2nd most ES TOI on D.

Watching Hak's interview (I'm a hero, I know)......he admitted part of why he put Lehtera in was to face his former team. I thought he'd completely dismiss it, but he admitted it. This is a guy who benched Sanheim for the home opener when his parents flew into town. What a softy.

It's crazy to me that they benched Weise for Lehtera after making Weise the PP2 net front guy, but Lehtera should be in the AHL and unavailable to Hakstol, anyway. Weise being banged up would make more sense since he didn't practice yesterday.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
When this team is skating and hitting (in that order) they look like a playoff team.

When they slow down, and especially when they try to protect a lead by going into a shell, they are pretty bad.

That's why it's so good when you see guys like TK and Weal playing a fast, creative game.

That's also why it's so hard to watch a guy like Sanheim (who can play the up tempo game) sit in favor of less skilled players.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Apart from the obvious, my big positive from this game is Gudas having the 2nd most ES TOI on D.

Blow out. Save your best players for tomorrow.

It's crazy to me that they benched Weise for Lehtera after making Weise the PP2 net front guy, but Lehtera should be in the AHL and unavailable to Hakstol, anyway. Weise being banged up would make more sense since he didn't practice yesterday.

Lehtera went back to his net front PP2 spot again. Seems they're totally interchangeable on the PP (in their suckitude). New development today was Lehtera getting PK time too, paired with Flip. Doesn't seem like a guy on the outs.

Reactions: Curufinwe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad