Player Discussion: 40th Anniversary of the Jimmy Mann / Paul Gardner incident

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Not condoning it but at least the good did something goo worthy and beat up the ***that tried to injure a player.

Nothing worse than the staged fights as retribution...usually a waste of time. Or, when a big check happens and the closest guy jumps the offender and they wrestle to the ice ('cause that 'll teach him).

Reactions: Guardian17

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
I'm assuming that Gardner didn't literally break his stick on Doug Smail's face for nothing. I wonder what triggered all that?

Also, he couldn't have been surprised by Mann's payback shots. Like what was Gardner's excuse "hurr durr it was an accident".

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
He deserved it.

Smail did nothing to deserve that pretty clean player fun to watch.

I loved Jimmy. Fergie saw the junior scoring stats when he drafted him. Someone noted years later he must of got those goals in front because everyone was scared to get him mad and move him out lol.

The other story I read was he had one of the first remote start caddies back then. Apparently Jimmy and the boys were standing at the old barn door starting and stopping the caddy in awe.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
He deserved it.

Smail did nothing to deserve that pretty clean player fun to watch.

I loved Jimmy. Fergie saw the junior scoring stats when he drafted him. Someone noted years later he must of got those goals in front because everyone was scared to get him mad and move him out lol.

The other story I read was he had one of the first remote start caddies back then. Apparently Jimmy and the boys were standing at the old barn door starting and stopping the caddy in awe.
I remember everybody loving Jimmy Mann, he never scored but there was a buzz when he got the puck on his stick......or even just when he was on the ice.

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
The first Bruins game was awesome. Right off the bat we had Hoyda and Mann battling Schmatz and O'Reilly. The place went nuts.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
The first Bruins game was awesome. Right off the bat we had Hoyda and Mann battling Schmatz and O'Reilly. The place went nuts.

The Kluzak v Kyte fight a few years later was pretty damn good too!

For the record I am not big fan of fighting in hockey particularly staged fights or in the modern games, fighting due to one guy laying out someone via a clean hit. A legit in the heat of the moment fight I can handle.

As for Mann. There has never been or will ever be any need for plays like that in hockey. I was a huge Smail fan too but just not acceptable. Gardiner was an idiot.

I was at this game. Saturday night v the Bruins. The old barn was a rocking!

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
When the Pens came back to town the next season, Gardner caught the "Winnipeg Flu" and did not play.

The Pens did not have another case of the "Winnipeg Flu" until Mario Lemieux caught it in the 1990's! :laugh:

thai jet

Aug 13, 2021
Winnipeg
Dumbest 1st round pick of Fergies time here. Next picks were 1152 pt man Goulet then multi cup winner Lowe. Messier and Dale Hunter were available too. I never had any use for Mann or Jimmy Kyte.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
The Kluzak v Kyte fight a few years later was pretty damn good too!

For the record I am not big fan of fighting in hockey particularly staged fights or in the modern games, fighting due to one guy laying out someone via a clean hit. A legit in the heat of the moment fight I can handle.

As for Mann. There has never been or will ever be any need for plays like that in hockey. I was a huge Smail fan too but just not acceptable. Gardiner was an idiot.

I was at this game. Saturday night v the Bruins. The old barn was a rocking!

If that fight happened in the current NHL everyone on the ice would be in concussion protocol!

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Pens centre Paul Gardner cross-checked Winnipeg's Doug Smail in the face, breaking his stick on impact. Before the next faceoff, Mann approached Gardner from behind and punched him twice, breaking his jaw in two places.
"Doug had just come off a broken jaw. He got caught up in the whole thing and I hit him, I smacked him," says Mann. "It's the way it was. "
"It happened and I don't have any regrets about it, either. None at all."

The National Hockey League Thursday suspended Winnipeg Jets' enforcer... - UPI Archives

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad