#40 Pettersson vs #40 Zetterberg - Who will be regarded better when it's all said and done?

#40 Pettersson vs #40 Zetterberg

• #40 Elias Pettersson

Votes: 24 31.2%
  • #40 Henrik Zetterberg

Votes: 51 66.2%
  • Too close to call

Votes: 2 2.6%

• Total voters

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Better player or better career ? Picked Zetterberg because you never clearly stated what you meant

Chris5225

Dec 29, 2019
Petterson likely ends up with more career points in a higher scoring era, but it's unlikely he matches Zetterberg's post-season accomplishments so I'm giving it to Z.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Hard not to go with Zetterberg as of now given a full career and the Conn Smythe, and the fact that Pettersson only really has the one big year so far. I think ‘08 Zetterberg is probably better than what we’ll ever see from Petey as well, though I definitely hold him in high praise that year. At the same time, Zetterberg was a bit of a late bloomer, and his first big year wasn’t until 25, which is the age Pettersson is now, so there’s still lots of time for Pettersson to add to his resume, and he has the type of game that seems like it would age well. And while Zetterberg aged fairly well as a really good player, his back problems seemed to keep his peak as one of the best a lot shorter than it could have been. If Pettersson can stay at his current level or improve over the next 5 or so years and then have a healthy aging curve, he could end up the better career.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Would take a hell of a peak by Pettersson to be better than Zetterberg before all the injuries took him down a notch.

Zetterberg was a literal two-way monster for a few years there.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Pettersson didn’t have the good fortune of joining a franchise that made the playoffs 12 years in a row, won 3 Cups and went to 4 Finals during that time span, had 116, 111, and 110 points during the 3 seasons since they drafted him, and won the Cup the season before his rookie campaign.

Reactions: Frankie Blueberries

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Pettersson didn’t have the good fortune of joining a franchise that made the playoffs 12 years in a row, won 3 Cups and went to 4 Finals during that time span, had 116, 111, and 110 points during the 3 seasons since they drafted him, and won the Cup the season before his rookie campaign.
Doesn’t matter how you spin it, as of now Zetterberg is the better player. And had more of an effect on his team than Pettersson

Reactions: Three On Zero

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Doesn’t matter how you spin it, as of now Zetterberg is the better player. And had more of an effect on his team than Pettersson

I’m already more impressed by Pettersson. Put him on a squad with the modern day equivalents of players like Yzerman, Lidstrom, Federov, Hull, Shanahan, Chelios, and on and on and on grooming him, and you would be right there picking him too. Wildly different situations these players joined.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Hard not to go with Zetterberg as of now given a full career and the Conn Smythe, and the fact that Pettersson only really has the one big year so far. I think ‘08 Zetterberg is probably better than what we’ll ever see from Petey as well, though I definitely hold him in high praise that year. At the same time, Zetterberg was a bit of a late bloomer, and his first big year wasn’t until 25, which is the age Pettersson is now, so there’s still lots of time for Pettersson to add to his resume, and he has the type of game that seems like it would age well. And while Zetterberg aged fairly well as a really good player, his back problems seemed to keep his peak as one of the best a lot shorter than it could have been. If Pettersson can stay at his current level or improve over the next 5 or so years and then have a healthy aging curve, he could end up the better career.

This.

Zetterberg didn't finish top 10 in points until he was 27, then "only" did it one other time.

Petterson finished 10th in points at 24 and just turned 25, he also started gaining noticeable selke traction a year earlier than Zetterberg.

Obviously anything can happen and players have all kinds of career paths, but it's very possible Petterson has the better and lengthier prime, and he still has time to match zetterberg's peak.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
This.

Zetterberg didn't finish top 10 in points until he was 27, then "only" did it one other time.

Petterson finished 10th in points at 24 and just turned 25, he also started gaining noticeable selke traction a year earlier than Zetterberg.

Obviously anything can happen and players have all kinds of career paths, but it's very possible Petterson has the better and lengthier prime, and he still has time to match zetterberg's peak.

I mean, it was kinda hard for Zetterberg to shine up until he was 25 considering 02-03 and 03-04 he was playing in the middle 6 of an absolutely loaded Detroit roster, and there was no 04-05.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I mean, it was kinda hard for Zetterberg to shine up until he was 25 considering 02-03 and 03-04 he was playing in the middle 6 of an absolutely loaded Detroit roster, and there was no 04-05.

In 03-04, Fedorov had left, Yzerman was 38 and no longer a top line scorer, Hull and Shanahan were both slowing down and Datsyuk led the team with 68 points. It was an elite team but it was elite because the roster was deep. Zetterberg still played over 18 minutes per game (only 1 second behind Datsyuk for most among forwards on the team). Yea the minutes were spread out and he’d probably score more that year in more minutes on a team that wasn’t as deep, but he still only had 43 points in 61 games and his per minute numbers weren’t particularly strong (just under 2 P/60 at ES). If he was capable of being a top line scorer that year, I think the opportunity was there for him.

Also, the quality team is a bit of a double edged sword. He got to learn from a bunch of hall of famers and see what it takes to win from early in his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad