GDT: #4 - SJ @ NJ - Revenge of the Swedes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I don't get the Kalinin hate. I didn't think he looked bad. Not amazing either but he is still adjusted to new country. Etc.

I don't think seems like some of the hate is over the top.

I agree. With him and Schlemko too.

Kalinin looks to be here what he was in Russia -- a bottom six forward. I feel like he has a good skill set if he can continue to improve his game. Could be a nice bottom six piece for the future, he's got great size and good skill for his size.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think he belongs in the AHL first, let him adjust his game there first.

I don't see any need for him on this team, I'd rather try some guys with more skill and that can actually score.

Luckily Hynes has scratched him a few times and isn't forcing him in the lineup, he's probably sitting again if Trav plays tonight.

I don't see what he brings at all right now, I just don't see it.

It can't be too long before that Irish dude is sent to Albany to try and bring his superior AHL play to their team. I doubt he'd be claimed on waivers if waived now.

Sad thing is Paul Thompson might be the guy to call up to replace him. I don't see him having much better luck in the NHL than O'Neill.

As far as Schlemko goes, I don't find him useless as much as unnecessary. I don't thin he's been bad at all, as long as he's kept off the power play. I just don't like that they see him as an every night defenseman. It's not that he's not an every night defenseman to me, I just think we're better off with the guys we already had in there every night. He's certainly better defensively than a couple guys back there, not at offense though. And with 1.5 goals for per game, we need the offense a lot more than the defense.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I agree. With him and Schlemko too.

Kalinin looks to be here what he was in Russia -- a bottom six forward. I feel like he has a good skill set if he can continue to improve his game. Could be a nice bottom six piece for the future, he's got great size and good skill for his size.

And he is still young. So it's not like he has no room for improvement.

And ya I don't see Schlemko doing anything to warrant hate or a desire to get benched.

The PP thing isn't his fault and honestly it's more to do with rolling 4 forwards (and I suspect trying to not have Lars play 30 minutes a night which would happen if he was on the PP too).

I think Lars can handle it at this point but I can at least understand the thought process. Hynes obviously has no issues marching Severson and Gelly out there on the PP.

It's not like we are 20-30 games in and guys are sitting for 10 games straight. It's early. System is still being learned and new coach is going to rotate a lot.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Constellation doesn't exactly roll off the tongue

No, the announcer definitely struggles with it.

The 3 on 3 was highly entertaining.
Reminded me of hockey from the late 80s.

I disagree. I think it's awkward as hell, and almost "makes fun" of the sport. It's sometimes chaotic, but not in an exciting way IMO, but in a, this looks like trash pick-up hockey way.

And going to 4x3 when there's a 3x3 penalty called is just strange. I feel like this 3x3 is to hockey what Caddyshack II was to golf. May as well bring out the clown with the open mouth and a windmill and put that on the ice.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
I just don't understand people acting surprised that the team might actually be the worst in the league

People talk about Schlemko and O'Neill like they're not good enough for their New Jersey Devils. Lol.

Sure it's only been 4 games, but just because we are younger does not mean we are better. In these 4 games we haven't really looked much better than last year - not that there was the expectation that we would, but there has been a narrative thrown around that we are in better shape because we are younger.

Being younger provides the potential for a better future outlook, but these growing pains are nothing that people shouldn't be surprised about.

Can't really have any expectations this season and that's why I'll be able to enjoy it, as painful as it may be.

That was one of the worst professional sporting events I've had the misfortune in attending.

The entertainment value was zero for most of the night. They're not just bad, they're boring'

Said this in another thread, but this was probably the most uninspired overall atmosphere I've experienced at a game in this arena - from the game to the crowd.

Was at the game tonight....there is nothing worse than the "woo" chant thing they kept playing. My god. What are we the Hurricanes?

It's horrible, but par for the course with the people making the decisions in this area of the organization.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
No, the announcer definitely struggles with it.

I disagree. I think it's awkward as hell, and almost "makes fun" of the sport. It's sometimes chaotic, but not in an exciting way IMO, but in a, this looks like trash pick-up hockey way.

And going to 4x3 when there's a 3x3 penalty called is just strange. I feel like this 3x3 is to hockey what Caddyshack II was to golf. May as well bring out the clown with the open mouth and a windmill and put that on the ice.

if 3v3 is a circus clown on the ice then the shootout is like dressing up like hitler to attend a bar mitzvah.

awkward and insulting to the game

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
On a couple of the PPs tonight, I'm not sure if it's part of Hynes' PP strategy and trying to be more attacking/aggressive, but several times on them we had 3 guys behind the goal line fighting for the puck which caused plenty of those opportunities we saw for SJ to clear it.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
On a couple of the PPs tonight, I'm not sure if it's part of Hynes' PP strategy and trying to be more attacking/aggressive, but several times on them we had 3 guys behind the goal line fighting for the puck which caused plenty of those opportunities we saw for SJ to clear it.

Felt like miscommunications to me but would have to see more against teams with worse PKs to get a better idea.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
randy savage…"oh yeah"

**** flair

I would mark the **** out if we started doing Macho Man stuff.
I'm a HUGE Macho Man fan! I once had one of those stuffed Macho Man guys, at an embarrassingly old age (like 14 or 15, maybe even 16 haha) and I had it for years after that just plopped up on my dresser next to a bunch of stuffed bears my girlfriend my ex girlfriend had gotten me. I still have the stuffed bears packed away, Macho Man didn't survive though. One of my dogs got ahold of him one day when I wasn't home and bit a hole through his crotch area haha, I kid you not!

The scene where Macho Man's life ended is only a mile or so from my house. He crashed into a tree (and had a heart attack which is what killed him I believe) was in the town I now live in. I hadn't officially moved here yet, he died in May 2011 and I moved in a few months later in September of 2011.
If you aren't watching the games, at least look at the rosters...

Not to mention the fact that it ended in a shootout.
Pete hardly outcoached anyone. I've watched all 4 games of the Sharks this year and this may have been their most underwhelming game so far. It was absolutely their most underwhelming game so far. They do have a history over the last few years of playing down to their competition.

Pete's teams also have a history of playing down to their opponents also, even during that 11-12 season.

Sascha Goc

Mar 9, 2014
the worst thing about the ric flair is it doesn't go away, even walking out of the building there are people doing it.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
They did it wayyyyy too much tonight.

They only did it once from what I noticed on Tuesday night.

Trying to pump up the crowd or something? I remember some politician using Ric Flair to pump up the crowd during his campaign for presidency a few years back. Probably before the 08 election, I think it was that Huckabee character.

I thought it was cheesy. Aside from my feelings on Flair, I still think they overdid it tonight.

I soured on Flair in the 00s, after having to continuously see his flabby boobs on my TV screen still. And then going back on his retirement and competing in TNA after Michaels retired him in WWE the year before that.

Yeah I know they pushed him out, but give it up already dude. He's so ancient that he's gotta be a liability out there. I wouldn't even wanna have a match with him, you'd have to carry him so delicately.

But whatever, Macho Man is better! We really need a Macho Man themed GDT with videos of classic promos and Slim Jim commercials.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
the worst thing about the ric flair is it doesn't go away, even walking out of the building there are people doing it.

It's also too Hurricanes for me. It's become so synonymous with the Hurricanes, at least as far as the NHL teams using it goes.

Mostly cause Flair is from North Carolina.

Now I'm seeing Flair in my head, after having to hear that chant so much! Old face with like a zillion cut marks and scars from years of blading himself.:laugh:

Sascha Goc

Mar 9, 2014
It's also too Hurricanes for me. It's become so synonymous with the Hurricanes, at least as far as the NHL teams using it goes.

Mostly cause Flair is from North Carolina.

Now I'm seeing Flair in my head, after having to hear that chant so much! Old face with like a zillion cut marks and scars from years of blading himself.:laugh:

This was my first thought when I heard on opening night.

This was my face
dyzO2wO.jpg

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I don't get the Kalinin hate. I didn't think he looked bad. Not amazing either but he is still adjusted to new country. Etc.

I don't think seems like some of the hate is over the top.

Didn't he mess up coverage on the first goal? I'm also aware he comes from the big rinks, just that for such a big man he loses most battles along the wall and isn't very physical.

big mish

Aug 26, 2009

With a tie off the table, how would you go about it?

I kind of hoped they would split it in two shorter OT periods, maybe 4 minutes 4x4, 3 minutes 3x3 (although that would add 2 minutes). Just hate seeing games end in a shootout, and the league is clearly done with the tie.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
if 3v3 is a circus clown on the ice then the shootout is like dressing up like hitler to attend a bar mitzvah.

awkward and insulting to the game

You're preaching to the choir.

I'd extend 4x4 to a full 10 minutes, which would take approximately the same amount of time as previous 4x4 + Shootout.

If it's still tied after 10 minutes of 4x4, the game ends in a tie, JUST LIKE IT DID FOR MOST ALL OF HOCKEY'S HISTORY, and you end these farcical gimmicks.

I never understood the "ties dont sit well with people" nonsense. Oh really? Like in Soccer, the biggest sport on the entire planet that dwarfs all others?
I always felt the "ties dont sit well with people" thing was completely the invention of marketers who wanted shootouts in the first place.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
this was probably the most uninspired overall atmosphere I've experienced at a game in this arena - from the game to the crowd.

My gf was shocked how empty it was on a Friday night.

If wins dont start coming (and why would they), I think you're going to see Stubhub prices start to crash for most games. As in, $10, $12, $15 ticket prices, etc..

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Didn't he mess up coverage on the first goal? I'm also aware he comes from the big rinks, just that for such a big man he loses most battles along the wall and isn't very physical.

Kalinin is the least of the team's issues.

We don't have any 1st line forwards.

Can't score, can't win in this league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad