4 Random Hockey Things

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A

I was watching Leafs vs NJ last night. Fun game to watch. Hate to say this, but I like watching the Leafs -- for their porous defense? No -- for the sheet entertainment and ability of their offense. If you guys could get away from the Tavares hate for just a moment, you might enjoy it too.

What would happen if Toronto played NYR in playoffs? You'd have to root for the Leafs. You'd have to.

Ya know how teams have the "long change" in the second period? Has there ever been discussions to moving one of the teams benches to the other side of the arena? So the benches face each other in the same spot in the rink? Kinda level out that long change thing as both teams would have same changes for entire game.

They'd have to move a lot of the hockey ops equipment, but they wouldnt lose any seating at all. I dunno. Edible kicked in on that one. LOL

Leafs on TSN. Between periods, they had a team of hockey analysts discussing the game, the play, momentum shifts, and one of the analysts us "F3". I've never heard any Isles broadcast mention that before. Coaches? all the gime, but not in Isles broadcasts. I guess we get the "dumbed down" version? We get gambling ads, Shannon learning to skate, and Butches incoherent analysis.

2003 Heritage Hockey Classic. Does anyone know the value of this stuff? Does anyone know a good site to get estimates on this? Or is it $20, like most of my stuff.. LOL

EDM4.jpgEDM2.jpgEDM1.jpg

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Leafs on TSN. Between periods, they had a team of hockey analysts discussing the game, the play, momentum shifts, and one of the analysts us "F3". I've never heard any Isles broadcast mention that before. Coaches? all the gime, but not in Isles broadcasts. I guess we get the "dumbed down" version? We get gambling ads, Shannon learning to skate, and Butches incoherent analysis.
It’s the NY market. We get the “nobody cares about hockey, Boomer.” version.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
#2 I like this very much in theory but besides the hockey ops people where would you put the penalty boxes to keep it fair for both teams?
Put it behind the other team's bench and make it a gauntlet to get out . . . great entertainment value!

Seriously, I watched the D3 championship as a Hobart alum and they had that (Trinity College was the location). It seemed to work fine and you could just put the penalty boxes near the other team's bench. If I remember, didn't the old Montreal Forum have them next to the team's own bench at some point? If you put them next to their team's bench, would it really make a difference in game flow?

Reactions: islesmb

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
If it was the first round...easily pull for the Rangers (not that that can happen these days, for the most part). If it were the finals (which could not happen) i would pull hard for them both to lose. Past that...sure, i could pull for the Leafs :)

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

I usually watch the games on delay, then fast forward through intermission, commercials etc.

But even so, I do recall Thomas Hickey using very specific hockey terminology when providing analysis.

Hickey ultimately had a solid playing career, but he’s a gem on the broadcasting end.

Reactions: Lek

Torrey Redux

Please!
Apr 25, 2022
Philadelphia, PA
1. When they do their games, Chris Cuthbert and Craig Simpson are one of the best tandems in hockey, if not the best. I won't want the Laffs to ever win, but I watch them quite a bit.

Rags v Laffs: I've wrestled with the question without resolution and so will just hide in my garage rearranging screws and nails and such until its over. Actually, might be good if it happens somewhere along the line this year. My garage really needs it.

2. I've played in rinks with benches on opposite sides and it's fine, but at the pro level, especially for TV and such, the wide shot of both benches is key, not to mention the ice level commentator can access both benches and coaches easily. Also, the long change is one of the main features of the pond hockey OT. Oh, and it would cut way down on chirping, which is very much a part of the game.

On Edge

Nov 26, 2005
Long Island
Easy answer on Rags vs Leafs. I’d wanna see the Rangers destroy them. Tavares is just a pimple on my ass level of irritation but my real hatred starts with Darcy Tucker. I will never forget what he did to Peca or the reaction of the Leaf fans. He is at the top of my list when it comes to villains right next to Dale Hunter. I hate the Rags but I have no similar type of hatred of any player of theirs in the past. Caps and Leafs: may they never with again as far as I’m concerned

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
Easy answer on Rags vs Leafs. I’d wanna see the Rangers destroy them.
I find it hard to believe you’re located in the NY area with this answer. When it comes to Leafs vs Rags, usually only Isles fans that live in non-NY locations prefer the Leafs to lose that matchup.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I find it hard to believe you’re located in the NY area with this answer. When it comes to Leafs vs Rags, usually only Isles fans that live in non-NY locations prefer the Leafs to lose that matchup.
As a Floridian I would hope for a measles outbreak that disqualifies both teams

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY

I was watching Leafs vs NJ last night. Fun game to watch. Hate to say this, but I like watching the Leafs -- for their porous defense? No -- for the sheet entertainment and ability of their offense. If you guys could get away from the Tavares hate for just a moment, you might enjoy it too.

What would happen if Toronto played NYR in playoffs? You'd have to root for the Leafs. You'd have to.

Id find a tavares jersey to wear for this series

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
I used to like the Leafs back in the Dougie Gilmore days.
But After The Marcy Darcy Tucker/Peca event in that Playoff series along with Shane The "Punk" Corson's antics, I swore them off.
Then Pajama Boy did what he did, and that made the "Creeps" Radioactive to me forever....

IslandersGER

Dec 29, 2015
Deutschland
I used to like the Leafs back in the Dougie Gilmore days.
But After The Marcy Darcy Tucker/Peca event in that Playoff series along with Shane The "Punk" Corson's antics, I swore them off.
Then Pajama Boy did what he did, and that made the "Creeps" Radioactive to me forever....
I still have a Mats Sundin jersey, but never wore it since the Pajama Boy actions. All of my three 91 jerseys now have a "Traitor" sign on back and I'll never ever wear it again

Reactions: MarsTBOW

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I still have a Mats Sundin jersey, but never wore it since the Pajama Boy actions. All of my three 91 jerseys now have a "Traitor" sign on back and I'll never ever wear it again

I have to ask.

You have three JT jerseys?

Even if we had McJesus on our team -- don't think I'd have more than one. Is there a story here?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad