Post-Game Talk: #4 | FLYERS 5 at Predators 6 | Tue. Oct. 10, 8:00 pm ET

Pet Charles

Oct 10, 2017
I get why they put that rule in place to penalize teams for losing a challenge on offsides. Teams were abusing it last year and using it as a timeout/trying to kill momentum of the opposing team. I dont have an issue with it. Teams/coaches just have to be smart now on when to use it.
How was it abused? The old rule required the requesting team to have a time out, which they would lose along with the right to challenge any future ruling in the game.

The purpose of replay is to get questionable calls right, not make it so punitive that teams will avoid using it. That's typical NHL policy, to take a useful technology or idea and implement it in a way that makes everyone long for the good ol' forward-thinking days of 1633, when a person could be imprisoned for life for daring to suggest that the Earth revolved around the Sun. Okay: /drama.

Point is that rather than accept a poor implementation, smarter minds could come up with a more reasonable way to do it that doesn't include strict punishment. They could do this by limiting the number of challenges or putting more effort into a league-sponsored review system which has a goal of efficiency. The game length argument is weak sauce. Get the ruling right (which they did last night, for what it's worth).

Reactions: Curufinwe

Pet Charles

Oct 10, 2017
I used shots and goals.
Two years is a pretty large sample size.
And the eyeball test confirms, he just doesn't shoot well, especially his wrist shot, which is the key to scoring in today's NHL.
Compare to Konency, for example. That kid paired with Patrick may score 40 goals in the future, get him the puck in the right spot and he'll send it home.
I got something different, but I only do elementary math these days. We're all in the same ballpark.

I think your sample sizes are fine (150+ samples (games) in the last two years is way more than enough). I'm not sure of what it means though. Obviously, I know it means that when we count his recorded shots and compare it to his recorded goals we get a number, but it's not a zero-sum game.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Challenge was bad, result was bad, and the rule is especially bad.

This situation will happen again (hopefully not to us) but it will be on a goal that actually is clearly offside but that the refs refuse to overturn as they did many times last year. Then the NHL will have a real fiasco to deal with.

Reactions: Rebels57

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
07-minister.jpg

why is the male version of KellyAnne Conway in this thread?

ahhh my eyes

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Challenge was bad, result was bad, and the rule is especially bad.

This situation will happen again (hopefully not to us) but it will be on a goal that actually is clearly offside but that the refs refuse to overturn as they did many times last year. Then the NHL will have a real fiasco to deal with.

it happened in the Blues/Isles game. game situation was different but Doug Weight called for a review that he should not have.

explosive skating

Jul 5, 2015
Awesome! We could have still won the game!
Wait.. what do you mean the clock resets 30-seconds and we have to start killing a 6-on-3 all over again?

It's not a matter of being right or wrong, it's matter of risk/reward. The risk was being down 5 v 3 in a tie game with time remaining. The reward was being down 6 v 3 with time remaining. Or, there's option C where we could have been 5 v 4 in a tie game with time remaining and a legit clearing attempt away from OT.

Clueless coach who lacks critical thinking and fails to assess critical in game situations.

Unfortunately it's 100% true.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Thats either bull**** and hes just falling on the sword OR hes so stupid he didnt even consult with him.

It feels like he is trying to make it impossible to support him, like he is doing it on purpose :laugh:

Striiker was right, this is all just one massive troll job, but it was Hexy who trolled us with this ass clown.
Still love you, Hexy, but please rocket this nugget out of Dodge.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It feels like he is trying to make it impossible to support him, like he is doing it on purpose :laugh:

Striiker was right, this is all just one massive troll job, but it was Hexy who trolled us with this ass clown.
Still love you, Hexy, but please rocket this nugget out of Dodge.

Im not sure whats worse, his coaching or his personality.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Man a 3-1 start would have us all flying high right now.

Thanks to the Usual Suspects, we are 2-2 and possibly going to be below .500 after 5 games with the Caps coming in fresh off a loss.. Not the end of the world but the schedule doesnt let up at all and it could really snowball if they start pressing. We shall see. Hope they surprise me.

Pet Charles

Oct 10, 2017
In Frankie's article on TSN, Hakstol said they only had one angle when deciding to review, and it is implied that it was the bird's eye view we all had. If so, the inability to see where Johansson had the puck because he was on the boards near the camera but particularly Forsberg's reaction made them think it could have been offside.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
In Frankie's article on TSN, Hakstol said they only had one angle when deciding to review, and it is implied that it was the bird's eye view we all had. If so, the inability to see where Johansson had the puck because he was on the boards near the camera but particularly Forsberg's reaction made them think it could have been offside.

Not conclusive enough to risk it though.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
the fact that you make the decision to challenge when you can't even see the puck, makes it even worse. He cost the Flyers 1...maybe 2 points. Time will tell is that matters or not.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Maybe this 1 or 2 points lost due to this blown call will put us in 13th spot for the draft and we'll win a lottery pick again.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad