4 Blue Jackets Locked In

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
CD - Columbus

Columbus GM Doug Emerson confirmed to reporters this afternoon that the Blue Jackets have reached agreement on contract extensions with four players. Specific terms were not disclosed.

"I am pleased to announce the Brendan Shanahan and Slava Kozlov have agreed to multiyear contract extensions", Emerson beamed. "Brendan has been the heart and soul of this team since his arrival, and Slava has been a huge boost to our fortunes since he arrived earlier this year. We couldn't be happier that they want to remain Jackets for the rest of their careers."

Kozlov and Shanahan are 1-3 in team scoring, both just shy of a point-per-game. Kozlov is among the league leaders in goals with 17.

Pending RFAs Mike York and Grant Potulny also agreed to contract extensions. York leads the jackets in +/- with +6. The Blue Jackets had already qualified both players, but apparently Emerson didn't want them tempted by offer sheets over the summer.

"Mike actually gives up a year of UFA status with this deal - we're very pleased he'll be here for some time, he's extremely versatile and gives his all every day. Grant has tremendous character, and has been a huge asset to Syracuse. This contract assures that he'll be in the mix competing for a roster spot in Columbus as early as next season."

Phillippe Boucher's agent Reggie Swingstein reported that his client would be testing the Free Agent waters this summer, but would keep Columbus on his list of preferred teams. "I like it here", Boucher told reporters at practice, "and I'm committed to winning a Cup here, but I owe it to myself and my family to at least explore my options."

With Mike Modano, Henrik Sedin, Mattias Norstrom, Joni Pitkanen and Adrian Aucoin already committed to multi-year deals, today's signings should help ensure Columbus remains competitive for some time to come.

They do raise the question, however, of how Emerson expects to pay for all these players after a hard cap is introduced next season: as it stands, Columbus is already sitting a few hundred thousand dollars of salary committed over the soft cap this year, and it's a safe bet that those players signed for as much or more than they were getting. One can assume that York and Kozlov in particular had to expect significant raises over their present salaries.

Has Emerson signed away his budget?

Milo Minderbinder
Columbus Discoverer

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad