GDT: #4 - Avs @ Sharks - Aww, Not Another Rerun! - 1/26/13 - 1:00pm - CSNCA NHLN KFOX

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Good, glad he's honest because I think so too. You got a link?

It was tweeted by Datar, who's an Avs guy. Datar doesn't think it was clean.

adater ‏@adater
Landeskog called the hit on him "clean", though he hadn't seen replay. Coach Sacco had seen it and didn't think it was clean

Thought while Irwin had some miscues, they tended to be behind the net and he usually cleaned up after himself. He really gives Boyle a lot of freedom if you ask me.

Not looking forward to demers return just yet.

Irwin made one blatant misplay on a keep in but otherwise nothing too bad. He's a great partner for Boyle. Frees up Vlasic to play with one of Burns or Demers, and thereby Stuart for the other.

In addition, it'll allow Boyle to play easier minutes and transition Burns to shutdown minutes.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
I really worry the old demers is a pipe dream, but I will withhold judgement until I see him

I also still like Murray as the nice stay at home. Many will say he's getting poor shot differential, but Braun is a very unpredictable partner, activates at wrong times often, and Murray usually keeps everything outside.

Coaches will have tough decisions to make regarding the demers situation.

NWShark*

Real curious to see what they do after Gomez get acclimated and the other defensmen come back. Each game I'm more sold on Irwin. His lateral movement is pretty good and he used it at the right time on the point. Handzus looks great IMO. He had a rush up the ice with the puck and until he showed his back I could figure out it was him because I'm just not used to seeing him do that. Maybe Gomez signing will push him which is only good for the team. Love the chances the 4th line started to get with Gomez dishing. As long as the other teams 4th line doesn't kill gomez that could end up being a genius lineup. Love the changes to the powerplay. They don't stand around like they did last year which should keep them from getting stagnant especially in the playoffs when teams are really aggressive on the kill.

Although this was Clowes best game he needs to go the the 4th line or scratch and move up galiardi or wingles until he can find his game or they trade him.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
I am, especially if he's even half as good as he was in Europe. The sooner we scratch Murray the better imo.

Me too. While the competition in Europe isn't NHL-caliber, it sounded like Demers was excellent over there, playing big minutes in all situations and dominating. I want to see where his game is at.

NWShark*

adater ‏@adater
Landeskog called the hit on him "clean", though he hadn't seen replay. Coach Sacco had seen it and didn't think it was clean

coaches never think hits are clean that knock out their captains...

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
coaches never think hits are clean that knock out their captains...

Exactly. Full quote from Landeskog:

"I thought it was a clean hit — or felt like a clean hit, no elbow or anything. It was hard, I'll tell you that much," said Landeskog, who had a sizable shiner under his left eye. "I was kind of reaching for the puck and didn't brace myself enough. He stepped up and that's the way hockey goes; you give some and you take some. Tonight, I took a pretty big one."

NWShark*

Also, final TOI for Gomez is 15:03, which led the bottom 6.

I think that's because he plays on the PP and they had more PP than PK today. In a game where they get into penalty trouble zeus will probably end up with more TOI.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Video looks like a forearm right to the face. Not sure if you can determine head as initial point or not.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Real curious to see what they do after Gomez get acclimated and the other defensmen come back. Each game I'm more sold on Irwin. His lateral movement is pretty good and he used it at the right time on the point. Handzus looks great IMO. He had a rush up the ice with the puck and until he showed his back I could figure out it was him because I'm just not used to seeing him do that. Maybe Gomez signing will push him which is only good for the team. Love the chances the 4th line started to get with Gomez dishing. As long as the other teams 4th line doesn't kill gomez that could end up being a genius lineup. Love the changes to the powerplay. They don't stand around like they did last year which should keep them from getting stagnant especially in the playoffs when teams are really aggressive on the kill.

Although this was Clowes best game he needs to go the the 4th line or scratch and move up galiardi or wingles until he can find his game or they trade him.

If Gomez continues to make great passes to guys like Burish and they don't finish (and Burish won't, let's be honest), I have no doubt Larry Robinson will push for this lineup. The third period would have been a great time to experiment with this, but at this clip the Sharks will have other opportunities to try such a lineup in a game:

Marleau-Thornton-Pavelski
Couture-Gomez-Havlat
Wingels-Zeus-Galiardi
Clowe-Sheppard-Burish

Today was just one game, but if Gomez day in and day out makes passes that lead to scoring chances that don't get buried, he's going to get some 2nd line time. As I've said and keep saying, Couture and Havlat could use a playmaker (Gomez) to center them, not dead weight on the left wing (Clowe).

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
If you move clowe you might as well scratch him. I don't like him against energy guys all night.

Marleau-jt-pavs
Gomez-couture-havlat
Galiardi-Zeus-wingels
Sheppard-desi-burish

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Part of the reason I would have him on the Wing were we to ever bump clowe. But doesn't seem likely anyway.

I don't really like the D side of Gomez's game, I say keep things as they are. Clowe did have two point tonight, but he is getting a lot of cover defensively.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Let's not get too high on Gomez after only one game. I'm not even convinced he has the conditioning to handle top-6 minutes on a nightly basis.

psh, you can't tell me what to do.

Gomez - Thornton - Pavelski
Couture - Gomez - Havlat
Marleau - Handzus - Clowe
Wingels - Sheppard - Burish

Boyle - Irwin
Gomez - Vlasic
Irwin - Gomez

There we go. Perfect team. :sarcasm:

ChubbChubby

Using tilt controls!
Nov 28, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Part of the reason I would have him on the Wing were we to ever bump clowe. But doesn't seem likely anyway.

I don't really like the D side of Gomez's game, I say keep things as they are. Clowe did have two point tonight, but he is getting a lot of cover defensively.

Clowe is easily the worst defensive forward on the team, unless you mean his linemates are covering for his inefficiencies, in which case then yeah you're right. I'm still not impressed with his play at all, but at least he's not as bad as he was for the first three games.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Clowe is easily the worst defensive forward on the team, unless you mean his linemates are covering for his inefficiencies, in which case then yeah you're right. I'm still not impressed with his play at all, but at least he's not as bad as he was for the first three games.

The latter is exactly what I meant. He's less and less behind the play, though, so I'm still curious as to his fit in the puzzle.

Hertl Power

May 7, 2010
Bay Area, California
Marleau-wow.

Gomez was better last night than I thought he was going to be. Was showing effort in all three zones and was finishing checks and helping with puck possession. He couldn't bury a goal when he had the chance which isn't to surprising. If he plays with that king of effort I will be fine.

Good job Irwin on goal #1. 409 until he ties Bourque.:sarcasm:

NWShark*

Let's not get too high on Gomez after only one game. I'm not even convinced he has the conditioning to handle top-6 minutes on a nightly basis.

How bout more like over 800. This guy aint a rookie. He's been working out apparently and he's been playing on that minor team in Alaska. He'll have to adjust to the system and his line mates but this guy is a minimum 2nd line player when he's healthy and confident.

Grave

Mondo Cool
Jun 23, 2009
Northern California

adater ‏@adater

Irwin made one blatant misplay on a keep in but otherwise nothing too bad. He's a great partner for Boyle. Frees up Vlasic to play with one of Burns or Demers, and thereby Stuart for the other.

In addition, it'll allow Boyle to play easier minutes and transition Burns to shutdown minutes.

If you heard Dater's opinion on the lockout and who's the best team in the western conference I bet you'd have a lot less respect for what he believes. You don't have to believe every ginger ya know'

Hertl Power

May 7, 2010
Bay Area, California
If you heard Dater's opinion on the lockout and who's the best team in the western conference I bet you'd have a lot less respect for what he believes. You don't have to believe every ginger ya know'

That is because the only players the sharks have are Thornton and Marleau and they are getting older.

Sharks 23
Oilers 3

vilpertti

Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
Video looks like a forearm right to the face. Not sure if you can determine head as initial point or not.
I posted a picture earlier of the contact, or an inch before Landeskog's face hits into Stuart's arm which is tight to his body. It can't be Stuart's fault if Landskog runs into him face first.

Eid Ma Clack Shaw

Jul 5, 2007
San Jose, CA
Another good game by the Sharks. Another slow start but luckily they have been overcoming those.

2 more goals for Patty. He won't keep this up but it's real nice to see him tearing it up right now. Suck it Roenick.

Congrats to Greiss for his first shutout and congrats to Irwin for his first goal.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
I'm just glad it was Stuart hitting Landeskog and not Murray, then both Landeskog and O'Byrne probably would have been injured right now. ;-)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad