[4-3 WIN] Junior Team Shuts Eller's Mouth

McStanley

Dec 8, 2005
Both true. I dont think Schultz threw that check just because he saw that it was Eller. Not sure about Smid but there really wasn't a concerted effort to 'make Eller pay'.

On a side note it was good to see Schultz with a little more physicality in his game.

That's the "Lars Eller" effect in play!

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
The only problem with this line of thinking is that there is no evidence to support it. If Ellers comments were so motivating why did it take a period and a half for the team to raise its compete level? The Oilers played like a Junior team until halfway through the 2nd period. If they were so fired up by Ellers comments then they would have been snorting fire right from the opening drop of the puck. Didnt happen.

This Eller thing is way over blown...the only ones that got any value from it is the media.

You didnt even mention the main motivating factor for the team in this game...Hemsky.

On the money, as usual.

Hemsky picked this team up. Not Eller, and not so much Eakins.

He kept the puck instead of pissing it away to the gaggle of teammates with him, and took the shot. My god, he took the shot. From that point on, Price had to respect the shot. And the one-timers and rebounds came.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
On the money, as usual.

He kept the puck instead of pissing it away to the gaggle of teammates with him, and took the shot. My god, he took the shot. From that point on, Price had to respect the shot. And the one-timers and rebounds came.

Exactly.

Aside from the addition of Perron not being able to trade Hemsky was the best thing thats happened to this team this season.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
On the money, as usual.

Hemsky had Price's number. Price had no idea what he was going to do there, I don't think he even moved.
In the first Hemsky froze him as well with the toe drag move to the outside, just barely missed the net.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I know Hemsky has been somewhat of an underrated defensive player, but his commitment to defence and getting on the backcheck has been superb this year. He's even blocking shots as well. Gotta say, he's been terrific this year.

Yep, Hemsky has been terrific this season and it deserves more mention than it's getting to be honest. The only forward who is "bringing it" every night, his 2 way game has really improved as well.

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Yep, Hemsky has been terrific this season and it deserves more mention than it's getting to be honest. The only forward who is "bringing it" every night, his 2 way game has really improved as well.

I really don't want to jinx it, but he's healthy, and that's been huge. I was a little concerned last year because I just didn't see the same Hemsky as he was previous to his injury-filled dark years. This used to be the guy that would burn defensemen with his speed and hands, take it around them to the net and score beauties. He looks like he's starting to believe he can make those moves to the net without getting injured again, and that's gotta be good for his confidence.

Check out his game against Philadelphia a few years back, exact same moving blowing wide past the Dman to score two fantastic goals. If he's back to even 75% of that form, we've got a player.

djdub

This Space for Rent
Oct 1, 2011
Calgary, AB
Exactly.

Aside from the addition of Perron not being able to trade Hemsky was the best thing thats happened to this team this season.

I was trying to tell people this throughout the summer, no one would bite. Saying they would rather trade Hemsky for a 7th rounder than keep him on the team. I hope those people are prepared to eat their words. He's been one of our best players this season.

Boondockjock

Feb 8, 2013
Doesn't back check. Doesn't play defense and force turnovers. Doesn't shoot puck.

You serious?
Not sure if you have had your eyes closed for almost every game...but back checking is something Hemsky has done a lot more of this year. Haters gunna hate I guess...

All in all, **** 1st...good to see we could bounce back.

I was 1.4 EFFIN seconds away from FINALLY being correct on a prediction.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
David Perron ‏@DP_57 2m
Couple chipped teeth during last night's game, but worth it to beat my hometown team. Back in YEG, going for 3 in a row.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Just watched Gionta celebration again to make it 4-3. What a ****ing loser. :laugh:

Yeah this and the girl in the Habs girl dancing in the crowd. I guess I'm the only one who doesn't jump up and down wherever my team scores, regardless of the overall score.

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
Again...then why did the team not come out at the start of the 2nd period with a high compete level?

Not buying it at all. The evidence contradicts the 'Eakins motivated the team with Ellers comments' premise.

Mandating that the effect must be applied at a specific point of the period is just as fallacious.

For me it's not a point of science (since it can never be confirmed and the extra factor - the other team - can never be accounted for). It's a philosophical discussion and while it's perfectly valid to say "it can't be verified" it's also not something you can dismiss simply on the basis of lack of evidence. Dismiss it because you don't think it's a factor, but it's still philosophy.

The unfortunate problem is that human being do not have 100% control over their cognitive functions (even if they think they do). So while this may lead people to think that "hot streaks" are just reflections of a purely statistical aberration that makes a player look like they are overachieving in a particular game or over a sequence of games.

You're looking for evidence for something that has too many unknown variables (the human psyche) in a situation that you'll never be able to control the variables in order to substantiate your position either.

It's philosophy, not science. And it will possibly never be science.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad