Recalled/Assigned: 4-3: Sabres Recall Forwards Alex Nylander and Kevin Porter

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Get real, those who are criticizing the call up of Nylander. In all professional sports, first round picks get treated differently, the guys in the minors and the majors know it, it's a fact of life. The guys in Rochester aren't going to be bent out of shape that they are playing better than Nylander and Botterill and Sexton have stated you have to earn call ups because they know Nylander being a high draft pick is an exception to that rule.

Botterill wants to see how Nylander looks on NHL ice and I think more so he wants to give Alex a boost motivationaly heading into the off-season.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I’m not sure who is saying that. Probably just people who look at a box score. Those who have watched the games know how bad his game is. He made marginal improvements. Apparently that’s enough.

I hear ya. I'm not saying he earned it, but it's getting down to the wire with this high pick and sometimes you need to be creative. I do feel that Nylander does not have anyone to play with down in the AHL. Wouldn't hurt putting him next to an skilled center to see what they have and try and get him thinking about where he needs to get to.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Get real, those who are criticizing the call up of Nylander. In all professional sports, first round picks get treated differently, the guys in the minors and the majors know it, it's a fact of life. The guys in Rochester aren't going to be bent out of shape that they are playing better than Nylander and Botterill and Sexton have stated you have to earn call ups because they know Nylander being a high draft pick is an exception to that rule.

Botterill wants to see how Nylander looks on NHL ice and I think more so he wants to give Alex a boost motivationaly heading into the off-season.
Some common sense

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I’m not sure who is saying that. Probably just people who look at a box score. Those who have watched the games know how bad his game is. He made marginal improvements. Apparently that’s enough.

Or people with differing opinions...:laugh:

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

So what you're saying is you're happy Nylander is off the Amerks for a while, amirite?

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I still think Nylander will be a better NHL player than an AHL player
Curious as to why? More talented players to set him up? Either way, he needs to up his intensity a lot. He can be a perimeter player in the NHL, but he still needs to get his nose dirty a bit and show some hustle.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Curious as to why? More talented players to set him up? Either way, he needs to up his intensity a lot. He can be a perimeter player in the NHL, but he still needs to get his nose dirty a bit and show some hustle.
I didn't hate his game when he was played up here last time.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site

Maybe, maybe not but you were the one preaching that Casey Nelson wasn't even an AHL dman and should be removed from the Amerks. There is no harm in giving Nylander a look.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Maybe, maybe not but you were the one preaching that Casey Nelson wasn't even an AHL dman and should be removed from the Amerks. There is no harm in giving Nylander a look.
And Nelson was terrible in Rochester. He’s playing much better in Buffalo. Much better. Maybe Nylander will be similar.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

MightyMuffins

Jan 17, 2017
9wGMD.gif

1TuchAnd1NoTuch

Jul 26, 2011
Buffalo
I mean every player is different but if this is a taste of the big leagues with the purpose of “motivating” Nylander, then I disagree with it. I think keeping him down and letting him know that an NHL career is not a sure thing for him would light more of a fire. That being said, every player is different, some need a kick in the ass and some need a pat on the back. I’ll trust management knows what he needs

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Nylander is always going to be a good who leaves you wanting more, he's never going to be a guy whose always engaged or battling out there, as long as he gets his points and is a threat offensively i think we will just have to live with that.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
Isn’t Nylander playing with Blackwell and Fasching right now? And isn’t that our hottest line?

The coach said he’s playing the right way. The same coach who said he was playing like garbage and not listening to direction earlier in the season.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Are we doing squares for what each of them will wind up on the IR with before they go back?

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
And Nelson was terrible in Rochester. He’s playing much better in Buffalo. Much better. Maybe Nylander will be similar.

Let's hope so. This team needs him to come into his own. If Taylor says he has been working hard, spending more time after practices with the coaches to get better then a quick call up shows him what he still needs to do to get to the ne t level. If Nylander can develop and can slot next to Eichel or Mittlestadt in the next couple years that is huge for this team. His skill is world class it has always been his assertiveness that has been the problem. Hopefully it is a confidence issue that he overcomes as he gets stronger and finds it easier to compete against men.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
This is probably the last year he gets the courtesy call-up, no big deal. If he's not earning it next year, he'll be staying put. It's a good time to just see if the system is helping him develop to play the way the big club wants them to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad