Pre-Game Talk: 4/24 ECQF GAME 3 7:11 PM - THE BEAR arrives in Toronto ( series tied 1-1 ) - NESN, ESPN, CBC, SN, TVAS, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
maybe Pastrnak goes nuts the next 2? Better yet, 3

I can dream

He needs to be a problem for the leafs every shift if the bruins are going to win.

The excuse I keep seeing about him being “covered by the leafs “ is silly since that literally happens to every good player in the playoffs. That’s nothing new and has been happening since the beginning of time.

We make fun of the leafs for being all offense and a shaky D+ goalie. But also Pasta is covered so well? Doesn’t make sense

You get paid to fight through it and produce anyway. 2 pts in 2 games is good but I think he has another level.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
He needs to be a problem for the leafs every shift if the bruins are going to win.

The excuse I keep seeing about him being “covered by the leafs “ is silly since that literally happens to every good player in the playoffs. That’s nothing new and has been happening since the beginning of time.

We make fun of the leafs for being all offense and a shaky D+ goalie. But also Pasta is covered so well? Doesn’t make sense

You get paid to fight through it and produce anyway. 2 pts in 2 games is good but I think he has another level.

Hmmm, 'yes and no' I'd say to this. Yeah, most of the best players get a lot of attention in the playoffs. Yes if they're good enough they'll fight through it. But I'd also say that the Leafs are going exceptionally hard in covering Pasta so far in this series - they have 2 guys all over him a lot - and more importantly the problem for Pasta and the Bruins is they can get away with this without much consequence.

Not so long ago if Pasta's drawing a lot of heat that means you've got a free Bergeron or Krejci or prime Marchand, or even a Hall. And that's a problem. But now it's an overachieving Heinen plus Zacha, who's a fine enough player but lacks finish. Or even in terms of the amount of effort you're putting into Pasta's whole line, the guys that should be making things a bit easier for are Coyle, an aging Marchand, DeBrusk and the 3rd line. But so far Jake's the only one taking advantage of that.

All of which means the Leafs can really hone in on Pasta and potentially largely get away with it - they shut down our best forward without giving up too much to other players. Boston's either going to have a find a way to help David get some more time and space to make good things happen, or some of the other guys are going to have to step up and fill the breach.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
They've given the Bruins fits in their own end much like Florida. Less punishing, but they're causing the Bruins to go Benny Hill trying to get pucks out. It's tough to watch how bad this d-core is under pressure. They make the wrong play more often than not, and that's a cause for concern.

Blindly sending the puck up the boards is the new version of mindless transition. The new D to D behind the net from Claude Julien hockey. Reaves is the only Toronto player being physical on the forecheck yet the Bruins cannot execute transition. Brutal showing game 2.

Gryz hearing Reaves in his nightmares.

Maroon needs to contribute something this game. The rest of the Bruins need to be forechecking as they did game 1.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Also I went with another guy who is member here and US coach program and we were discussing how we would shade Pastrnak

We discussed a simple game plan to put the body on 63 but with Pastrnak shade and close with 2 guys and reduce time and his space - but whoever has that side needs to be aware and in vicinity

The Leafs were doing it because we were commenting on how Keefe should play this game

Honest no BS hit the D, get moving traffic not stationery and shade and close on 88

They did this - I’m proud of Keefe I wasn’t sure he was as smart as us hockey wise

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Blindly sending the puck up the boards is the new version of mindless transition. The new D to D behind the net from Claude Julien hockey. Reaves is the only Toronto player being physical on the forecheck yet the Bruins cannot execute transition. Brutal showing game 2.

Gryz hearing Reaves in his nightmares.

Maroon needs to contribute something this game. The rest of the Bruins need to be forechecking as they did game 1.

You’d think with Gryz, Mac, and Lindholm on the back end, guys who historically have had the ability to make a good first pass, wouldn’t be panicking and tossing the puck away for easy turnovers.

I have to think it’s a coaching problem.

GahdenRinkRat

Bruins' Den Mother
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2008
By the Dirty Watah
My theory goes back to the Gallery Gods.

They used to say the Gallery Gods didn't root for the Bruins, but rather they sat in judgement of them. I get the feeling the players still feel that vibe. Bruins fans have always been quick to turn on the team when things go badly during a game. Players do not respond well to it.

Just a theory.

Any of our season ticket holders sense that at all?
Fans rarely turn on the players on the ice( the crowd gets silent when disappointed)fans including STH can quickly turn the blame on coaching staff, management and (especially here) on ownership. That’s my take from spending about 60+ years of living and dying with the seasonal fate of the Bruins.

TobanWest

Jan 28, 2020
Bruins need to bring it physically. Watching a few games and man they are intense with energy levels and hitting. They showed they can do it in the first game, just need to get back to it. Can have many more injuries. Nice to have Wotherspoon back there as well as maybe Forbs and Brazeau. They will be needed if they can get by the Leafs... I know they can. 3-2 Bruins no overtime.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Our local radio station talked incessantly about Matthews and the Leafs as if they just won their 3rd consecutive Stanley Cup (just for winning one f**king playoff game against the B's) ...and they made Matthews sound like the greatest scoring machine to ever lace up a pair of skates

I can't even imagine how bad they'll be if the Leafs win this series

So Bruins .........PLEASE BEAT THESE PRICKS!!

bruinshoper

Sponsor
Jan 20, 2011
when was the last time the Bruins were up 2-0 after the first 2 games at home in the playoffs?
I seem to remember alot of splits aside from that toronto series where pasta went nuts the first 2 games.
Why is this team so bad at home in the playoffs?
I think part of it is the new playoff format which is bull**** and we don’t play the actual lower matching seeded team in the conference. “Parity”

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Tonight's Officials

1713946811241.png
1713946834953.png

Referees Francis Charron (6), Graham Skilliter

(24),Kendrick Nicholson (30)

Linespersons Ryan Daisy (81), Devin Berg (87),Tyson Baker (88)

bruinsfan1970

Global Moderator
I just do not feel good about the series being tied 1-1 and going up to Toronto because you know the Leafs want to win this series and turn it around. If the Bruins want to win this series they better play the entire game like they did in game 1 and even better than that. Do not lose this game because the pressure of being down in the series makes it much worse. I am not trying to sound so negative but as a Bruins fan of 56 years I bet others feel the same way.

So let's just play the one way and that is the winning way. Just WIN DAMN IT and take away my thoughts of worry.
"Here we go Bruins, Here we Go" :thumbu:

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I just do not feel good about the series being tied 1-1 and going up to Toronto because you know the Leafs want to win this series and turn it around. If the Bruins want to win this series they better play the entire game like they did in game 1 and even better than that. Do not lose this game because the pressure of being down in the series makes it much worse. I am not trying to sound so negative but as a Bruins fan of 56 years I bet others feel the same way.

So let's just play the one way and that is the winning way. Just WIN DAMN IT and take away my thoughts of worry.
"Here we go Bruins, Here we Go" :thumbu:

I feel they can split the 2 road games and still come away with a very reasonable chance of winning the series. But it will be much easier to do that by winning G3 than going 2-1 down and having the Leafs with a wet sail going into a home G4 with the chance to take what could be a decisive 2-game lead.

So while I don't see tonight's game as an absolute 'must win', I think the Bruins will put themselves in a much better position if they can, rather than having to chase the series from behind across a final 4 games where their home advantage, such as it is, has essentially been lost.

In short, yeah, get it done here, and make us all feel that bit better!

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
One trend unsettles me as the Bruins have now lost 4 of the last 5 playoff games at TD Garden ( all in Round 1 )

@DominicT I am hearing the Bruins win or lose will head north to cottage country after Game 3 to escape the Toronto media during the 2 off days similar to what they did in 2011 and Lake Placid.

I can't confirm it but 2 people have told me that is the plan.

If true the location is easily the most Bruins-friendly town in Ontario.

1713949220131.png

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
The Bruins have a good record of winning in Toronto, the Leafs don't usually play their best at home. Sway will be in net and hopefully in their heads, Pasta has also been great in Toronto, Debrusk will love the Canadian crowd. Tons of pressure for the Leafs to win, I hope the curse of Harold Ballard is still haunting them.

Go Bruins!

One trend unsettles me as the Bruins have now lost 4 of the last 5 playoff games at TD Garden ( all in Round 1 )

@DominicT I am hearing the Bruins win or lose will head north to cottage country after Game 3 to escape the Toronto media during the 2 off days similar to what they did in 2011 and Lake Placid.

View attachment 858747
Yet still haven't got past the Bruins, so there is that too.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

View attachment 858747
There have been rumblings. Parry Sound would be a great place for such a retreat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad