GDT: 4/22/23 - 7:00PM EDT - #2 Toronto vs #3 Tampa Bay [ECQF GAME 3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Watch Cole in the replays of goal #1 and #3 and explain to me how that is good NHL defense. That's miles away from "not perfect defense".

I don't expect perfection from Vasy, and I expect even less from Cole. I do expect Vasy to make the occasional save when the defense lets him down. And we would all be a lot more forgiving on those goals if the other goals weren't complete gifts.

The defense hasn't really been a problem because it's been a lot better than Toronto's defense. Goaltending wouldn't be a problem if it was a lot better than Toronto's goaltending, but here we are.

Reactions: zeykshade

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Pointing out the glaring shortcomings of the defense on some of the goals isn't the same as claiming the goalie has been playing well.
Except it's over the 3 games. He's got a .853 sv%. And if losing Rutta and McDonagh is to blame, then Vasy isn't nearly as good as we all thought if he can't do it without them.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
Watch past Vasy performances in years past. The comparison is jarring. He's not reading the game nearly as well as he has in the past and he's not seeing pucks well at all. Consistent .920+ down to .853...Sub .900 is literally not NHL quality. I don't care what D you have in front of you.
I agree with you on everything you just said about Vasy, cause it's all true. People seem to not be able to accept that I'm also pointing out Cole was equally to blame on goals 1 and 3 for how badly he played them. That's it, not sure why it's so controversial.

Reactions: Renopucker

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I agree with you on everything you just said about Vasy, cause it's all true. People seem to not be able to accept that I'm also pointing out Cole was equally to blame on goals 1 and 3 for how badly he played them. That's it, not sure why it's so controversial.
Because if Nikita Kucherov doesn't score another point in this series, nobody's going to say Pat Maroon was equally at fault because he didn't score either.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
And I'm saying it's comical to blame a bottom 4-6 Journeyman D when the much larger issue is our $9.5m/year Hall of Fame goalie can't stop a beachball...

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
And I'm saying it's comical to blame a bottom 4-6 Journeyman D when the much larger issue is our $9.5m/year Hall of Fame goalie can't stop a beachball...
I'd love to know what your expectation is for a bottom 4-6 defenseman in this league.

When Acciari is coming down the middle of the ice with the puck and you are between him and your goalie, is jumping of the way and allowing him to have a free shot the slot the right play?

When a bottom 4-6 defenseman is trying to help hold a one goal lead in a playoff game with one minute left, would you expect them to leave O'Reilly uncovered in the crease and let him have a clean shot at the rebound?

If so, that would be comical.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Watching this DAL/MIN game and seeing a goalie absolutely dominating. If DAL has Vasy in net at this point, they're down at least 2 goals.

I'd love to know what your expectation is for a bottom 4-6 defenseman in this league.

When Acciari is coming down the middle of the ice with the puck and you are between him and your goalie, is jumping of the way and allowing him to have a free shot the slot the right play?

When a bottom 4-6 defenseman is trying to help hold a one goal lead in a playoff game with one minute left, would you expect them to leave O'Reilly uncovered in the crease and let him have a clean shot at the rebound?

"Captain, auxiliary bilge pumps 4 and 7 are non-functional. In other news, there's a hole through a full 1/3rd of the hull from that iceberg you hit."

"WHAT THE F*CK'S WITH THOSE BILGE PUMPS!?"

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Even the best NHL goalies are bi-polar with how awful they can be on some nights, I think the concerning thing is what makes Vasy the best is his consistency, and I don't think we've ever seen him string two horrible games together in the postseason like this.

Having said that, Toronto did give him fits last year too, whatever it is he just turns into wet toilet paper against them.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Even the best NHL goalies are bi-polar with how awful they can be on some nights, I think the concerning thing is what makes Vasy the best is his consistency, and I don't think we've ever seen him string two horrible games together in the postseason like this.

Having said that, Toronto did give him fits last year too, whatever it is he just turns into wet toilet paper against them.
Nah RS, the thing we need to spend time talking about is bottom pairing D and how they played 1-2 goals against of the 14 given up by our HoF tender.

• Haha
Reactions: Rschmitz and DFC

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
As someone who lives in Toronto and hates the Leafs, I can't believe Tampa is going to lose this series to Toronto. I get that all dynasties end, but to lose to Toronto, and even worse to lose because of goaltending, stings.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
As someone who lives in Toronto and hates the Leafs, I can't believe Tampa is going to lose this series to Toronto. I get that all dynasties end, but to lose to Toronto, and even worse to lose because of goaltending, stings.
And it's not like Samsonov is blowing his doors off. Samsonov is just barely less shit than Vasy, but that's really the difference. Imagine either of these teams playing Jake Oettinger in the finals or Shesterkin in the ECF...

• Haha
Reactions: DarrylshutzSydor

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
And it's not like Samsonov is blowing his doors off. Samsonov is just barely less shit than Vasy, but that's really the difference. Imagine either of these teams playing Jake Oettinger in the finals or Shesterkin in the ECF...
Won't have to worry about that cause Toronto won't make it past Boston. Highly doubt we do unless Vasy clears the cobwebs but Toronto, for all their glory winning two games and potentially one round, will not advance to the ECF. Mentally weak and nothing amazing. 90% Vasy eliminates them in 5 or 6 given how they've played.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I'm pretty sure the ECF will be NYR/Toronto.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Sure he's uncovered, that's on Cole. It was also a weak ass shot that went in through a wide open gap short side by our 9.5m goaltender. That's one of those plays your "elite" goalie can bail out a defensive mistake. It's not like ROR had room or half the net to shoot at.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
I honestly don't think so. I think Toronto will beat Boston. I think Boston has some key guys, like Bergeron and Krejci, who are more injured than the team is obviously letting on.
They can still get it done. Ullmark isn't the hot mess Vasy is. Boston is looking better as that series goes on and if they end it Tuesday, they're already resting.

Reactions: Renopucker

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
They can still get it done. Ullmark isn't the hot mess Vasy is. Boston is looking better as that series goes on and if they end it Tuesday, they're already resting.
I'm hoping that Tampa can at least take this series to 6 games to put a couple of extra miles on the Leafs players.

Reactions: Stammertime91

Renopucker

Jan 17, 2019
Reno
B’s simply find a way to capitalize on small mistakes, and win. BTW, deBrusk has found his game. Takes the heat off 88 and 63.

Reactions: Stammertime91
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad