GDT: 4/21/2013 - Flames@Wild - 5:00 PM CST - FS-N, FS-WI‎

Northland Wild Man

Finnesotans?
Jun 14, 2011
Grand Forks, ND
I have officially given up on this years Wild team. They "might" give me reason to change my mind "if" they can somehow pull a magic act and beat LA in the next game. But I don't give them much if any chance considering how we have played the past month.

I'm about to say that old Minnesota sports fan saying..."Well there is always next year."

ARGGG

PS: If this team can't handle just trying to make it into the playoffs by beating lowly teams like the Flames and that minor league lineup they fielded, the Wild have NO business even being in the playoffs.

My dad hated Bud Grant because he always said that after every big loss. He never won anything either despite the fact that he is a legendary coach.

I'm sick of watching losers. This team had no excuse to lose to a bunch of bums tonight.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
A lot of it is where we take our shots from. A good portion of them are from way out from the point or that hail mary centering pass from behind the net.

Someone said earlier tonight that when the Wild were winning, they weren't dumping and chasing all the time. Well, now they are, and now they suck again. It's this ****** system that Yeo is having them play. It does not generate decent scoring chances, it does not generate consistent offensive pressure, it requires the guys to work too god damn hard to score goals, and I have a feeling its part of the reason that a lot of our guys are dealing with hidden injuries.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Power Play is terrible. All three forwards behind the net. Terrible defensive zone. Yeo is terrible at who he's putting out there

TheeNorthStar

Ok, dis hockey
Jun 2, 2012
MSP
A lot of it is where we take our shots from. A good portion of them are from way out from the point or that hail mary centering pass from behind the net.

Someone said earlier tonight that when the Wild were winning, they weren't dumping and chasing all the time. Well, now they are, and now they suck again. It's this ****** system that Yeo is having them play. It does not generate decent scoring chances, it does not generate consistent offensive pressure, it requires the guys to work too god damn hard to score goals, and I have a feeling its part of the reason that a lot of our guys are dealing with hidden injuries.
hammer-on-nail-from-austinloft-blogspot-400px.jpg

Billy Mays Here*

This. I noticed this tonight more than I ever have before. This team just doesn't get any good shots from the slot. It's all about shots from the point and passing it along the perimeter. Where did all of Calgary's goals come from tonight (aside from the empty netter)? The slot and the face-off circles, not the perimeter.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Out of 35 shots, 21 were by Parise, Koivu and Suter alone. That's a big problem right there. The others need to be able to do more. Now this team's fighting for its life and those guys are worn out in every game.

We should've won this game, no doubt about it. The fight for the playoffs isn't over yet, but now we absolutely NEED to win two out of three. I'd like to see the entire team fight for those points, not just three players.

vitogor

Oct 26, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
Or...we just don't have skilled offensive forwards. Seriously watch other teams...they take way better shots than we do.

I'm starting to lean toward this theory as well. Our top line is basically a collection of high-end grinders, and it goes downhill from there. The closest we have to a gamebreaker is Suter, and he can only do so much in terms of offense.

Stll, this doesn't excuse the fact that no one outside of that first line is willing to go into the slot. Beating the puck to death around the perimeter will not get us a whole lot of goals...

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
Watched the 1st period and went to sleep after that. Woke up and saw the score. Can't put my thoughts here due to filters and the profanity-hating by mods.

I'm confused. Why do we suck so badly now? Quit playing perimeter hockey with low % shooting chances and do some net-crashing plays. Drive drive drive! Get physical! DO SOMETHING!

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
This team is just, at its core, ******* terrible. We have good players playing a worse than terrible system. All the talent we have? The fact that this is by far the most talented roster this franchise has ever had? WASTED. Wasted with a **** system that can neither defend well or attack competently.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
I'm starting to lean toward this theory as well. Our top line is basically a collection of high-end grinders, and it goes downhill from there. The closest we have to a gamebreaker is Suter, and he can only do so much in terms of offense.

Stll, this doesn't excuse the fact that no one outside of that first line is willing to go into the slot. Beating the puck to death around the perimeter will not get us a whole lot of goals...

Where we take our shots from and how we enter the zone is a coaching decision, and that's a big thing they "practice."

We're constantly shooting from the point, or more on the outside because Yeo believes that this will then cause a great rebound that we wukk be abke to put in.

I think the results of this are clear enough at this point.:help:

Ladde

Apr 28, 2012
Our system has us playing our forward lines like they are all 3rd/4rd lines. No offensive skill allowed.

Why this worked in Pittsburg(when they won the cup) was because of the fact they had more than 1 d-pairing who could actually move the puck out of the zone. Also they had the team built around the system with 3 elite/very good centers with two-way players/grinders on their wings. That leaved the centers to be creative and find good passing lanes basically providing the offensive talent to the system. This team dosn´t even compere in the center depth and our wingers are made out to play the grinding game just the same expect all of them aren´t really made for it.

Even the Penguins today have the players to play this system correctly even with added winger talent. Because the players they added can still play the grinding game very vell.

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Neal-Malkin-Iginla
Morrow-Sutter-Cooke
Kennedy-Jokinen-Glass

Orpik-Letang
Martin-Niskanen
Murray-Engelland

This is their line up when healthy.

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
I feel like this:

1. Make the playoffs, Yeo stays for another year.

2. Columbus and Detroit take the 7th and 8th seeds, Wild get bumped, miss playoffs, but Yeo immediately gets fired.

Well... 2 is very tempting.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
If they miss the playoffs Fletcher needs to go as well. You don't give up that much for a player at the deadline "for next year". Between that and the Leddy trade, he's botched the trade deadline twice and two head coaching hires...unacceptable. Finding a couple second round gems doesn't make up for that.

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
If they miss the playoffs Fletcher needs to go as well. You don't give up that much for a player at the deadline "for next year". Between that and the Leddy trade, he's botched the trade deadline twice and two head coaching hires...unacceptable. Finding a couple second round gems doesn't make up for that.

You're absolutely right. They are a package deal. They both need to go.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
if we miss this is EPIC FAIL II , if we had our top players out with injury maybe but with parise, pommer, koivu & suter all healthy (enough to play) this shouldnt be happening. hey fletch your plan isnt working we need a new plan!

TheeNorthStar

Ok, dis hockey
Jun 2, 2012
MSP
I have ONE gasp of optimism left ..

After a nights rest.. I feel they can come out HARD and i mean HARD against LA.

Not saying we win but i think they could. Im saying this.. If we lose. Well ... you know.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Game thoughts...

What the hell happened to Zucker? He has been TERRIBLE since his call up. He was great before being sent down. Awful last night.

Setoguchi is clearly a passenger who has no impact on the game unless somebody gets him going. Not a guy the Wild should hang on to. Just like Bouchard.

Gilbert I thought had a good game. At least offensively in taking shots and creating chances.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i just dont see the fire & passion i would expect from a team so close to making the playoffs. i think we only have 3 wins in our last eleven games???? how can the team flush our first trip in 5 years down the toilet? wheres the leadership? why isnt anybody stepping up? i just dont get it.

CG5

Jan 18, 2011
Waukesha, WI
well if their coach talks to them like he does the media, then everything is hunky dory. why should anyone step up?

fallsviewafro*

Oh great, nothing gets called against them and we get a weak penalty like that? While being unfairly down 2-1 in 3rd? Good job refs. Once again, ****ing good job. :facepalm:

It seems like destiny that this ****ing team can't have nice things. Honestly, they DESERVE the 2 points. Flames deserve 0. Yet we're "losing".

lol, what? its not the refs fault minny got spanked by an ahl team and a backup journeyman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad