GDT: 4/13/13 - CBJ @ Wild - 7:00 PM CT - FSN/FS-WI

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
I only caught the highlights but even from that it's clear that Bobrovsky was on a different level than the other goalies we've played recently. Wild can feel good about the point they got and come out strong in CGY tomorrow night.

As far as bias and reffing goes...it really hasn't been that bad this year. The refs goofed, so what, **** happens. Last year, Shanahan made enough baffling decisions that it became a suspicious pattern, but that's about the only time I've really seen anything coming close to bias against the Wild. There were some serious officiating struggles at the beginning of the season––not against the Wild specifically but just in general––but on the whole I don't think it's been particularly egregious this year.

Refs take pride in their work and in calling a fair game, and they're only human and occasionally **** up. And they, like everyone else, have bosses and supervisors and will almost certainly be hearing from them today.

Giles Ferrell

#believeinyeo
Mar 24, 2013
Minnesota
I only caught the highlights but even from that it's clear that Bobrovsky was on a different level than the other goalies we've played recently. Wild can feel good about the point they got and come out strong in CGY tomorrow night.

As far as bias and reffing goes...it really hasn't been that bad this year. The refs goofed, so what, **** happens. Last year, Shanahan made enough baffling decisions that it became a suspicious pattern, but that's about the only time I've really seen anything coming close to bias against the Wild. There were some serious officiating struggles at the beginning of the season––not against the Wild specifically but just in general––but on the whole I don't think it's been particularly egregious this year.

Refs take pride in their work and in calling a fair game, and they're only human and occasionally **** up. And they, like everyone else, have bosses and supervisors and will almost certainly be hearing from them today.

I have to disagree. I haven't complained about it much, but the officiating has been rather bad in all of hockey this year, not just Wild games. It was a big topic at the GMs meetings a month ago. Clearly, they feel the same way as we do.

frozenriverrat77

Do Vu's New Voodoo
May 20, 2011
Chicago
Guys, stop with the anti-Wild bias. It's annoying. It really is. The refs are horrible for all sides of the coin. Not the Wild. It's a new year and a new season. Last year is last year and this year is this year. I'm getting tired of the whining from some of our posters that there is an anti-Wild bias and how the league is conspiring against the Wild. They aren't. So stop bringing it up in threads. It makes our fan base look bad.

agreed, its classical selection bias, we only notice the "bad" calls when they go against us -- take a poll from any team and they will say similar things

should coyle have been kicked out of the game? I think a 10min misconduct would have been more appropriate but I actually don't mind crackdowns on head shots entirely (even if a player's head is lowered).

if the wild miss the playoffs it won't be because of the refs

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
agreed, its classical selection bias, we only notice the "bad" calls when they go against us -- take a poll from any team and they will say similar things

should coyle have been kicked out of the game? I think a 10min misconduct would have been more appropriate but I actually don't mind crackdowns on head shots entirely (even if a player's head is lowered).

if the wild miss the playoffs it won't be because of the refs

Unfortunately they didn't have the option of assessing a 10min. misconduct. Headshot major is an automatic ejection.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
By the letter of the law, sure, the penalty was justified. Even more so at the speed in which it happened.

But I still want to see a Wild player go out and destroy that player 10/10 times in that situation. Especially in the defensive zone.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
By the letter of the law, sure, the penalty was justified. Even more so at the speed in which it happened.

But I still want to see a Wild player go out and destroy that player 10/10 times in that situation. Especially in the defensive zone.

Agreed. But it's not an anti-Wild bias that happened.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Guys, stop with the anti-Wild bias. It's annoying. It really is. The refs are horrible for all sides of the coin. Not the Wild. It's a new year and a new season. Last year is last year and this year is this year. I'm getting tired of the whining from some of our posters that there is an anti-Wild bias and how the league is conspiring against the Wild. They aren't. So stop bringing it up in threads. It makes our fan base look bad.

Thank you, I'm so sick of this, it makes us look like idiots.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
The problem I have is how often it happens compared to previous years. I can't remember a time when there were so many missed high sticks in consecutive games. It's genuinely un-real. And the fact that Koivu gets no respect from the refs is pretty much self evident.

Yeah some of it is probably selection bias, but you have to admit that the refs have been ****ing awful this year, compared to previous years.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
The refs have definitely been bad, BUT complaining to other fans on the main board and telling them that refs are conspiring against us isn't going to help and just makes us looks stupid.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Yeah some of it is probably selection bias, but you have to admit that the refs have been ****ing awful this year, compared to previous years.

That is the thing. The Refs are bad but not just against the Wild but for every freaking team out there.

frozenriverrat77

Do Vu's New Voodoo
May 20, 2011
Chicago
The problem I have is how often it happens compared to previous years. I can't remember a time when there were so many missed high sticks in consecutive games. It's genuinely un-real. And the fact that Koivu gets no respect from the refs is pretty much self evident.

I agree the string of high sticks that have been missed is crappy...but its one thing to say that the refs are blind its another to say that they have some intent against the wild

they don't...its just bad luck that the refs have missed them

Northland Wild Man

Finnesotans?
Jun 14, 2011
Grand Forks, ND

The problem I have with the whole business is the timing of it. If the refs missed all those high sticks earlier in the year no big deal. It's just that the timing of the non-calls I believe killed momentum in some of those losses that could have swung the games in our favor.

It seems like as soon as the Wild get to the top of the division like last season the respect is not there. It's like we aren't supposed to be there with the top teams in the West. I would like to see GMCF come out and at least make a statement about it because people are talking. FSN had an official blooper reel of missed high sticks for **** sakes.

Are the forces of darkness conspiring against the Wild? I can't say anything for certain but I'm becoming a skeptic after a collapse 2 years in a row. There are plenty of reasons for it as well that everyone on these boards has heard plenty of times before (NBC's ratings, growing the game, etc). And no I'm not going to leave poor play and coaching out of it either, because it's been there. I just maybe see to much that could be happening behind the scenes.

JMO

frozenriverrat77

Do Vu's New Voodoo
May 20, 2011
Chicago
The problem I have with the whole business is the timing of it. If the refs missed all those high sticks earlier in the year no big deal. It's just that the timing of the non-calls I believe killed momentum in some of those losses that could have swung the games in our favor.

It seems like as soon as the Wild get to the top of the division like last season the respect is not there. It's like we aren't supposed to be there with the top teams in the West. I would like to see GMCF come out and at least make a statement about it because people are talking. FSN had an official blooper reel of missed high sticks for **** sakes.

Are the forces of darkness conspiring against the Wild? I can't say anything for certain but I'm becoming a skeptic after a collapse 2 years in a row. There are plenty of reasons for it as well that everyone on these boards has heard plenty of times before (NBC's ratings, growing the game, etc). And no I'm not going to leave poor play and coaching out of it either, because it's been there. I just maybe see to much that could be happening behind the scenes.

JMO

Dude u just went from weather balloon to phoning home with ET

Bad calls are often made in hockey games...refs r not perfect...but u really think there is a conspiracy from the NHL to keep the wild out of the playoffs? Weird that they would give us power plays in ot this year if that's the case...or did the refs those nights just not get the memo?

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
The refs have definitely been bad, BUT complaining to other fans on the main board and telling them that refs are conspiring against us isn't going to help and just makes us looks stupid.

Agreed. Please stop doing that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad