GDT: 4/12/2022 PREDS vs SJS Time to fish or cut bait

Status
Not open for further replies.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Watched this one in a random Knoxville bar with some other preds fans. Sometimes you just need a win however and regardless of who you’re playing.

(Whiskey. Whiskey. Beer. Etc. I did my part!)

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
723A791B-64A2-4538-8B00-AEF589ABAFBC.jpeg

Reactions: Adz

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
I mean, defense was amazing last night but our offense was just unable to find the back of the net again. It's a bad time of the year to go cold. Hope we can shake off the rust or whatever is ailing us.

Reactions: AnalogKid

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I mean, defense was amazing last night but our offense was just unable to find the back of the net again. It's a bad time of the year to go cold. Hope we can shake off the rust or whatever is ailing us.

Yep- in 120 minutes of regulation we scored 3 total goals against Ottawa and San Jose, two pretty bad defensive teams. And 1 against Florida and even they had been giving up a ton of goals lately.

Need to get it going again for sure

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Well, son in law was le sad -- the way it should be where SJS and NSH are concerned, right? After the waived off goal he wrote me that Izzy / aka Jr Jailbait was their "good luck charm" but I didn't respond. That was a karma statement, you know. Don't blow it, self. So after the game was won and I knew there weren't going to be any challenges I wrote him back that she's MY good luck charm.

12 goals for, 1 against...pretty decent in-stands fight while I was out there...not a bad showing for the Preds in this series.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Yep- in 120 minutes of regulation we scored 3 total goals against Ottawa and San Jose, two pretty bad defensive teams. And 1 against Florida and even they had been giving up a ton of goals lately.

Need to get it going again for sure

I really think they need to put Duchene and Forsberg back together. I get the idea of trying to spread them out so we aren't reliant on a single line, but Forsberg's 5 v 5 production has dropped drastically since the change.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I really think they need to put Duchene and Forsberg back together. I get the idea of trying to spread them out so we aren't reliant on a single line, but Forsberg's 5 v 5 production has dropped drastically since the change.
They were together for a good bit of time last night. When it was time for one of the top center/winger pairs to come out for a faceoff and the sharks had their lower line/pairing on the ice the coaches would pull either Tomasino or Tolvanen and put 9 and 95 out with either 92/64. It was a good way to get them together, get them extra time, and still limit the minutes 26/28 played. So it's not like the coaches have just thrown the load it up option away.

Putting them back together on a permanent basis would probably drive up their individual scoring but whether or not that helps the team overall it's hard to say since you lose all hope of having second line scoring at this point. Even if it does help in the short term for the remainder of the regular season what does that do for the playoffs? What happens if whatever team they play is successful at shutting down 95/9 when they are together and you get no scoring from the second line?

To me, this is more of a move for the playoffs. Give Tomasino and Tolvanen the opportunity to get used to playing with more talented forwards over the last 10 games and see if they can develop any chemistry and consistency which will balance out the scoring. If they don't find a rhythm then the coaches can always go back to one top line.

I think we've already seen some changes/adjustments by both of them, especially Tolvanen. He was open for several passing plays with the intent to shoot last night in a way that we haven't really seen from him to date. I think he really only got the one shot on net but you can see his mindset changing from, "go hit someone, retrieve the puck, get it to the point, and crash the net" to "where is the open ice that I can settle into and get a shot". I know he hasn't put the puck in the net so we can't say it's a success but you can see the signs of changes in mentality. A little confidence and encouragement from the likes of Granlund and Duchene can't hurt the kid either. Tomasino is more of a possession player that drives the play by himself so his progress is more linear this season, you can see that he belongs on that line and should start producing more before the end of the season. His speed and quickness will be vital to winning battles and possessing the pucks in the offensive end for his bigger slower linemates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad