DET: 1-2-0_______________NYR: 2-1-0

TIME | 8:00 PM ET VENUE | MADISON SQUARE GARDEN - NYC, NY TV | NBCSN

[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="ONLINE STREAMS/RADIO"]
ONLINE STREAMS: NOT ALLOWED | RADIO FEED: CLICK HERE

[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="NEWS & NOTES"]

GAME LINKS:

Game Preview - Last Matchup; NYR@DET 4/9/16 - NHL.com - RANGERS.com - REDWINGS.com
Larry Brooks - NYDN - Rangers Report - MSG.com - Yahoo Sports - ESPN - CBC - SNET - TSN

AROUND THE LEAGUE:

aroundtheleague.png

OCTOBER SCHEDULE:

octoberschedule.png

[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="QUOTES TO NOTE"]

It was definitely just pure joy. I think I expressed it a little bit on the ice.
I think I gave two fist pumps, and I just couldn’t be happier to get that one out of the way.
Especially to do it at home in front of our fans, the ovation after that was awesome and what I dreamed about as a a kid.
I’m really happy to get that one.
- Jimmy Vesey

If you’re a goalie, you have to make a save on that third goal.
Then it was 5-3, then a couple minutes and it was 5-4, and heavy panic inside the goalie’s head.
- Antti Raanta

Some teams improve and some teams don’t improve and fade away.
We need to be one of those teams that continues to improve.
- Alain Vigneault

[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="DETROIT RED WINGS"]

TEAM STATS / STANDINGS:

GP | 3 | GF | 10
W | 1 | GA | 11
L | 2 | GF/G | 3.33
OTL | 0 | GA/G | 3.67
Pts | 2 | PIM/G | 21:19
HOME | 1-0-0 | PP% | 37.5
AWAY | 0-2-0 | PK% | 72.7
L10 | 1-2-0 | FO% | 49.2
STREAK | W1 | S/O | 0-0

Division | 8th
Conference | 13th
League | 23rd

TEAM LEADERS:

Goals | Green, Helm | 3 Assists | Nyquist, Vanek | 3 Points | Green, Vanek | 5 + / - | Darren Helm | +4 Shots | Brendan Smith | 8 Hits | Justin Abdelkader | 9 Blocks | Danny DeKeyser | 9 PIM | Jonathan Ericsson | 24 FO% | Luke Glendening | 48.8 TOI/G F: | Henrik Zetterberg | 16:40 TOI/G D: | Mike Green | 23:42

PROJECTED LINES:

LW | C | RW
justin ABDELKADER (A) | frans NIELSEN | riley SHEAHAN
tomas TATAR | dylan LARKIN | henrik ZETTERBERG (C)
gustav NYQUIST | darren HELM | thomas VANEK
andreas ATHANASIOU | luke GLENDENING | drew MILLER

LD | RD
danny DEKEYSER | mike GREEN
brendan SMITH | xavier OUELLET
jonathan ERICSSON | alexey MARCHENKO

Scratched
steve OTT |
ryan SPROUL |

STARTING GOALIE:

HowardJimmy.png

Jimmy Howard

GPI: 0 | W: 0 | L: 0 | OT: 0 | PIM: 0
SV% .000 | GAA: 0.00 | SA: 0 | GA: 0 | SO: 0

INJURIES / SUSPENSIONS / MISC:

|

[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="NEW YORK RANGERS"]

TEAM STATS / STANDINGS:

GP | 3 | GF | 14
W | 2 | GA | 10
L | 1 | GF/G | 4.67
OTL | 0 | GA/G | 3.33
Pts | 4 | PIM/G | 8:39
HOME | 2-0-0 | PP% | 20.0
AWAY | 0-1-0 | PK% | 83.3
L10 | 2-1-0 | FO% | 55.6
STREAK | W1 | S/O | 0-0

Division | 3rd
Conference | 7th
League | 11th

TEAM LEADERS:

Goals | Chris Kreider | 3 Assists | Kreider, Zibs | 3 Points | Chris Kreider | 6 + / - | Mats Zuccarello | +4 Shots | Chris Kreider | 18 Hits | Chris Kreider | 11 Blocks | Derek Stepan | 7 PIM | McIlrath, Miller | 4 FO% | Mika Zibanejad | 63.9 TOI/G F: | Mats Zuccarello | 18:00 TOI/G D: | Ryan McDonagh | 26:29

PROJECTED LINES:

LW | C | RW
jimmy VESEY | derek STEPAN (A) | mats ZUCCARELLO
chris KREIDER | mika ZIBANEJAD | rick NASH (A)
j.t. MILLER | kevin HAYES | jesper FAST
mike GRABNER | brandon PIRRI | josh JOORIS

LD | RD
ryan MCDONAGH (C) | nick HOLDEN
marc STAAL (A) | kevin KLEIN
brady SKJEI | adam CLENDENING

Scratched
dylan MCILRATH |

STARTING GOALIE:

LundqvistHenrik2.png

Henrik Lundqvist

GPI: 2 | W: 1 | L: 1 | OT: 0 | PIM: 0
SV% .870 | GAA: 3.03 | SA: 46 | GA: 6 | SO: 0

INJURIES / SUSPENSIONS / MISC:

Pavel Buchnevich | Back (DTD)
Dan Girardi | Groin (DTD)
Oscar Lindberg | Lower body (IR)

[/FIELDSET]

bannerboys5.png

Last edited:

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I hope Klein is back for this one, but it might be too early.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
According to the Rangers site--and it was posted yesterday Klein is expected to play. I would expect McIlrath will be sitting.

Problematique

Apr 3, 2011
Australia
According to the Rangers site--and it was posted yesterday Klein is expected to play. I would expect McIlrath will be sitting.

On a scale of 1-Glass, how much favoritism is AV offering Holden over McIlrath as all I read in these GDT's is how bad Holden has looked in every game.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
On a scale of 1-Glass, how much favoritism is AV offering Holden over McIlrath as all I read in these GDT's is how bad Holden has looked in every game.

The issue is that neither one is doing well, IMO - though in Holden's case it's explanable by the fact that he's on his off side. Were everyone healthy, I'm pretty confident AV would be sitting both.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway

I agree, and his extremely slow reflexes - maybe normal for a 50+ years old guy, but Holden is only 29. :shakehead

JayMan82

Apr 5, 2006
South Carolina
The issue is that neither one is doing well, IMO - though in Holden's case it's explanable by the fact that he's on his off side. Were everyone healthy, I'm pretty confident AV would be sitting both.

I'm not totally sure what people are seeing (or not seeing) in Holden, but I've seen a handful of times where he makes high difficulty outlet passes right on the tape (see Rangers 4th goal against Sharks). At a relatively low cap hit, he's played out of his position and on a higher pairing than expected and certainly hasn't looked out of place from my perspective.

I think there's a sense that McI is entitled to special treatment according to 90% of the fanbase... Get over it guys and girls, he's a fringe NHLer. I don't want to take away that he's a great young man and says all the right things. He also seems great in the room, but it's hard to determine if he's done anything outside of his fists that separates him from the other dmen. If anything, it creates more complication when you're down 1 defenseman anywhere between 5 and 15 minutes of a match.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Would like to see the D tighten up. Too many high quality chances against. Teams are able to exploit hitting a wide-open trailing player in the high slot too often.

LGR

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Hoping this game is one where Hank gets his groove going. Need strong showings from him with the D as it is.

Kreider for another 1G 1A game, please? :yo:

Hope the Vesey-Stepan-Zucc line keep truckin'

Need McDonagh to keep playing like a Norris candidate

TheKing30

Nov 20, 2011
NJ
really hope clendening stays with staal, thought they playing very well together the other day. LGR

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I think AV will drop Clendening to the third pair. Then we can talk about how Clendening will be scratched once Girardi returns if Holden and Klein are still healthy.

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

I think people are going to have to get used to the idea that McIlrath's days with the Rangers are numbered. Right now, I think it's safe to assume that if the Rangers have 6 other healthy D he's just not going to play.

I'd assume if we were to send him to Hartford for anything other than a conditioning assignment he'd be picked off of waivers by some team. I don't know what we would get if we tried to trade him. A 3rd? A 2nd seems a reach. Maybe as an addition in another deal. Just sitting a 24 year old game in and game out after putting all this development time in on him seems like a ****ing waste. It's not good for the Rangers and it ain't good for him. I'm thinking his days are numbered.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I'm not totally sure what people are seeing (or not seeing) in Holden, but I've seen a handful of times where he makes high difficulty outlet passes right on the tape (see Rangers 4th goal against Sharks). At a relatively low cap hit, he's played out of his position and on a higher pairing than expected and certainly hasn't looked out of place from my perspective.

Yeah. I mean, Holden pretty clearly isn't a long-term solution as a top-4 D, but is serviceable when there are injuries. He can fill in and not look out of place, but he shouldn't be a permanent fixture.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I think people are going to have to get used to the idea that McIlrath's days with the Rangers are numbered. Right now, I think it's safe to assume that if the Rangers have 6 other healthy D he's just not going to play.

I'd assume if we were to send him to Hartford for anything other than a conditioning assignment he'd be picked off of waivers by some team. I don't know what we would get if we tried to trade him. A 3rd? A 2nd seems a reach. Maybe as an addition in another deal. Just sitting a 24 year old game in and game out after putting all this development time in on him seems like a ****ing waste. It's not good for the Rangers and it ain't good for him. I'm thinking his days are numbered.

A 2011 first overall pick with over 250 games under his belt just netted a third round pick. Granted that Yakupov makes more money, but I don't think an older defenseman without that first overall pedigree and who has yet to solidify himself as an NHL player is worth more than a 4th or 5th.

The best you can hope for is a change of scenery deal where another team sends us their struggling prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad