3rd line centers on cup winning teams

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
There is portion of the Rangers board that thinks Brian Boyle is a decent 3rd line center. So I was wondering how many cup champions had strictly shutdown centers on the 3rd line. Doesn't seem like it's many.

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
Sammy Palsson in 07 had a Conn Smythe worth effort as a 3rd line center in a shut down role.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
There is an old belief that top six and maybe even top nine player should score at least 20 goals.......The standard has come down a bit since expansion, but not sure there is such a thing as a pure shutdown center. Fwiw, I like Boyle but can see why others would want a quicker, more versaitle player.

Well Boyle is a guy that can give you 12 goals. A little over 20 points. The problem is you put him on any line and it automatically becomes a 4th line offensively. Some people think his production is ok, but it's more than that. I want my 3rd line center to have at least average passing skills. I don't even need 20 goals. Hell our 2nd line center is a fringe 20 goal scorer. Any cup winning teams have "two fourth lines" offensively? Seems like in recent memory every cup champion had their 3rd line contribute. Teams can shut down a top line with their top D, they can do the same with the 2nd line and their secondary D, but then your 3rd line should be able to take the heat off the other two lines.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Devils "3rd line centers" were Bobby Carpenter (16 points in 41 games regular season games), Bobby Holik (46 points in 79 games) and John Madden (41 points in 80 games) the three years they won the Cup.

I think the standard has probably come down after the 2005 lockout with more parity.

original islander

Oct 12, 2011
Not sure who would've been considered the 3rd center on the Isles on their third and fourth winning teams- Butch Goring, Brent Sutter or Wayne Merrick.

Also Doug Risebrough on Montreal behind Mahovich and Lemaire.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad