3D Printing Thread

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Kind of surprised there hasn't been a thread on this yet, but I am curious if anyone on here has their own printer and what they use it for. I have only recently begun to dabble it it as we have picked one up for my shop and have begun to try and teach students how 3D print and create their own models.

Currently we are running a Snapmaker 2.0 A350 but also have access to three Ender 3 in our Comm Tech lab. So far this is the crown jewel of what a student has made so far.

150503245_10165107210655221_5123911476640117175_n.jpg

Reactions: tacogeoff

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I have a Lulzbot Mini at work that I use sometimes. I really hate the thing and find most of the options to be overwhelming. The quality of the prints are always, meh, and you wouldn't want to use it for anything serious.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
I have a Lulzbot Mini at work that I use sometimes. I really hate the thing and find most of the options to be overwhelming. The quality of the prints are always, meh, and you wouldn't want to use it for anything serious.

I know a colleague of mine always calls the 3d printer a nick nack maker. But the thing to keep in mine is that you will have to put in a significant amount of time a labour into the finishing process to get anything really nice.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I know a colleague of mine always calls the 3d printer a nick nack maker. But the thing to keep in mine is that you will have to put in a significant amount of time a labour into the finishing process to get anything really nice.

Definitely a nicknack maker, because the structural integrity of anything I've ever made is questionable at best. If you're using it for a shower curtain ring or something, it's fine, if you're trying to use it for anything that will have any stress on it, nope. I definitely appreciate the effort people put in to make things like the helmet you posted but I don't have the interest to do it.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Definitely a nicknack maker, because the structural integrity of anything I've ever made is questionable at best. If you're using it for a shower curtain ring or something, it's fine, if you're trying to use it for anything that will have any stress on it, nope. I definitely appreciate the effort people put in to make things like the helmet you posted but I don't have the interest to do it.

I guess it depends on what you are printing with. PLA is easy to print with, but not very strong, even at 100% infill. PETG is stronger, but can be really hard to print with from what I have heard and read (haven't tried it myself yet, too scared of destroying the Print bed.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I guess it depends on what you are printing with. PLA is easy to print with, but not very strong, even at 100% infill. PETG is stronger, but can be really hard to print with from what I have heard and read (haven't tried it myself yet, too scared of destroying the Print bed.

I've only ever printed with PLA and I know there are other materials that are better. The medical stuff is really interesting and so is the construction ones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad