Prospect Info: #36 - Shai Buium

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yup, the picture they use in the article confirms that...:laugh:

Those journalists are unbelieveable. They go and write, "he is a right-shooter".

And nowhere, at internet, exists any other mistake about that. Even his brother is a lefty.

And you add a picture on same article, which clearly shows him shooting left... :D

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Gonna have a big year, sign his ELC 3 years post draft and Yzerman will have sprinkled in his ELC's nicely during the rebuild. Thats the hopes anyways, seems like one of our more boom or bust guys picked in the earlier rounds.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
While I'm not a fan of our NA scouting on the macro level, I do like this draft pick. I think the college route worked out very nicely for Shai, Denver is a very well coached team. I hope we do sign him following this year.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Do we sign him at the end of this year or do we risk losing him?

1701721432711.png

Would be cool to draft his brother as well. His brother is a fantastic player. If he's available when the Wing's pick, and we don't draft him, I'll be furious. It'll be like missing out on Hughes again (assuming he improves his speed just a tad).

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
I will be more than a little disappointed if we don’t sign him and Gylander

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
Trouble is if he decides not to sign he becomes a free agent and can sign anywhere. If he has a good year there will be a bit of a bidding war

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Trouble is if he decides not to sign he becomes a free agent and can sign anywhere. If he has a good year there will be a bit of a bidding war
Again if you want him, you don't leave anything to chance and you offer him a contract. He is very mature physically and ready for pro hockey.

Reactions: HoweFan

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I think he gets a contract, if only barely. In the end, it won’t matter much, he’s a career AHLer with a cup of coffee in the NHL at best.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I think he gets a contract, if only barely. In the end, it won’t matter much, he’s a career AHLer with a cup of coffee in the NHL at best.
Can't this kid actually skate tho? Or am I confusing him with someone else?

A 6'3" 220lb defenseman that can move and produce at the college level should get a fairly decent look. And he wasn't a throw-away pick like a Mazur or something. 36th overall so there is clearly something believed to be there.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
There won't be a bidding war because ELC has a max. The problem is that he might choose a team with an easier path to the NHL.

All ELCs are two way contracts, he'll get one from somebody even if only for the AHL team. Wings could start clearing some of the backlog by not re-signing ZAR, McIsaac, etc.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
He was drafted in 21, college kids give NHL teams 4 years to sign them, why would we have to sign him this year? Shouldn't his rights expire in '25?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
He was drafted in 21, college kids give NHL teams 4 years to sign them, why would we have to sign him this year? Shouldn't his rights expire in '25?
We are getting old, dude. The discussion is him needing to be signed after this current season. Which ends in '24. If he doesn't and goes back for his senior year he can sign with anyone he wants in '25.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Can't this kid actually skate tho? Or am I confusing him with someone else?

A 6'3" 220lb defenseman that can move and produce at the college level should get a fairly decent look. And he wasn't a throw-away pick like a Mazur or something. 36th overall so there is clearly something believed to be there.
When I saw him last season his skating wasn’t there. Nonexistent first three steps, questionable edges. Without significant improvement, he’ll get swallowed up by NHL speed. As always with prospects, hoping for the best, but I don’t love how he projects.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
When I saw him last season his skating wasn’t there. Nonexistent first three steps, questionable edges. Without significant improvement, he’ll get swallowed up by NHL speed. As always with prospects, hoping for the best, but I don’t love how he projects.
I must be confusing him then. I thought being a big guy with skating was his thing, much like Wallinder, just less Swedish.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
I must be confusing him then. I thought being a big guy with skating was his thing, much like Wallinder, just less Swedish.
I think he had scouting reports on draft day that seemed to indicate he was a better skater than he turned out to be.

His straight-line speed is decent. He’s a better skater than Tuomisto I think. That’s about as far as I can go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad