'31 Teams in 31 Days' - OHL Prospect Reviews

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017

Wow, not a lot of love for Saginaw or the players as stated in the first sentence of this article and pretty much in all your articles on Saginaw.

Not a lot of players had great years in Saginaw this past year. The team was a disappointment in a stacked Western Conference.

Pretty tough sledding for just about every player on this team. Night in and night out this team had to face the tough Western team with full rosters of NHL prospects. Pretty tough to put up good numbers against those odds. Put this team in the East and I am sure your opinion would be different. Better yet, place some of YOUR highly touted players on this team without the support cast and see how they do! This team has had to face many challenges over the year with coaches leaving and the top players traded.

I don't think you take some of these under consideration before you tear apart players. Again, place these players with the support cast that most have and you'd see how good they are.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Wow, not a lot of love for Saginaw or the players as stated in the first sentence of this article and pretty much in all your articles on Saginaw.

Not a lot of players had great years in Saginaw this past year. The team was a disappointment in a stacked Western Conference.

Pretty tough sledding for just about every player on this team. Night in and night out this team had to face the tough Western team with full rosters of NHL prospects. Pretty tough to put up good numbers against those odds. Put this team in the East and I am sure your opinion would be different. Better yet, place some of YOUR highly touted players on this team without the support cast and see how they do! This team has had to face many challenges over the year with coaches leaving and the top players traded.

I don't think you take some of these under consideration before you tear apart players. Again, place these players with the support cast that most have and you'd see how good they are.

When analyzing players it's important to put your personal bias aside.

Sure, the Spirit went 12-8 against the Eastern Conference this year, but that's not the point of my articles. The point is to analyze the progression of each team's NHL prospects. And Saginaw's (overall) didn't have a terrific year and that's why they didn't play well against the best of the Western Conference. You pretty much proved my point when you said, "Night in and night out this team had to face the tough Western team with full rosters of NHL prospects. Pretty tough to put up good numbers against those odds. Put this team in the East and I am sure your opinion would be different."

Saginaw is a team that started the year with 5 players drafted within the first 4 rounds of the NHL draft, including three defenders and a goalie. You know how many other Western Conference teams can say they started the year (or even finished the year) with that sort of pedigree on the backend? Not Erie (only one), Not Kitchener (only one), Not Owen Sound (zero), Not Sault Ste. Marie (only one). Heck, London only started the year with three, but finished with four thanks to the addition of Mitch Vande Sompel. Yet, even with these NHL prospects you speak of, Saginaw finished in the back half of the OHL in goals against.

So there goes your support cast argument. This is a team that was set up to have a big year with high NHL draft picks heading into crucial leadership roles, along with former high OHL priority picks heading into their draft season, yet, they fell flat. And as such, they had to move Mitchell Stephens out. And now, they're rebuilding again because they've lost Hronek and Niemelainen and failed to get a young roster player back for Mitchell Stephens.

Sometimes a spade is a spade. Don't think I'm "tearing any kids apart." More just giving an honest reflection.

Mar 12, 2009

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad