30 Years Ago Today- Devils clinch first playoff spot since moving to New Jersey

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016

One of the great memorable reg. season OT goals, one of the great finishes to a regular season (NJD went on a ridiculous March stretch run), and it began a long run in which the Devils, who had missed the playoffs their first 5 seasons in NJ after the move from Colorado, would make the playoffs all but three times from 1988-2012.

What are your recollections of this, if any?

Reactions: quoipourquoi

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Wow, nice memory there. I remember this really well. Big moment in New York-area hockey -- when the Devils joined the 'big-leagues'!

Some real characters on that team: Pat Verbeek, John MacLean, Sean Burke... two ex-1980 Gold medalists, Jack O'Callahan and Mark Johnson... the very talented Swede Patrick Sundstrom, who, 19 days after this, had an 8-point playoff game (!) against Washington... and Jim "have-another-doughnut" Schoenfeld behind the bench.

Darren Pang allowing the game-winning goal there... in one of his 81 career games.

Reactions: brachyrynchos

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
They deserved to get in, and it was hard to root against them, it was around this time that the Devils' reputation as a hard working team became firmly established. Schoenfeld had the backs of his players, and the players had his, (that postseason was the infamous "Eat another doughnut" incident). Playing 3rd fiddle in the metro area and being called a "Mickey Mouse" organization years earlier, never deterred that organization, they stayed the course and it eventually paid dividends. The Devils players, Schoenfeld, and Lamoriello get alot of credit, and deservedly so, but David Conte really helped build that team with incredible scouting, the drafting for a long stretch was amazing.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Before the season they were known as an up and coming team and there were actual expectations heading into 87-88. Until that big March run they were kind of a disappointment. Sean Burke played the best hockey of his life. The rest of his career he was chasing that Spring 1988 magic.

Game 6 vs the Isles was a weird one. I think we were up 6-1 midway through the third and then NYI, who still had that reputation for pulling miracles out of nowhere, puts up 4 goals and literally has a last second point blank shot that Burke saves for the 6-5 win.

The Washington series went pretty much the same as every single Capitals 2nd round series. Devils won a Game 7 at the Cap Center on a late tip in iirc

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Before I got into hockey but was a good 1st run to the playoffs for the team for sure. Going to be good to see them back in the playoffs this year (Haven't clinched yet but I think they will).

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Wow, nice memory there. I remember this really well. Big moment in New York-area hockey -- when the Devils joined the 'big-leagues'!

Some real characters on that team: Pat Verbeek, John MacLean, Sean Burke... two ex-1980 Gold medalists, Jack O'Callahan and Mark Johnson... the very talented Swede Patrick Sundstrom, who, 19 days after this, had an 8-point playoff game (!) against Washington... and Jim "have-another-doughnut" Schoenfeld behind the bench.

Darren Pang allowing the game-winning goal there... in one of his 81 career games.

And you know watching the game Pang doesn't stick out too badly as some monumental midget. Probably because the rest of the players of the ice aren't all that big either.

Daneyko of all people, opened the scoring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad