News Article: 30 thoughts: Maurice extension possible + systems + Buff

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yeah, I remember this discussion from last year, and my feelings are that just making the playoffs this year would be invaluable for this franchise that's only qualified once in its history. Bogosian, Kane, Little, Scheifele, Trouba, Enstrom, O'Dell, Postma - none of these guys have ever made the NHL postseason. It's a different level of hockey and they need to experience it to learn what they need to do to succeed there and to get back there. Success breeds success and failure breeds failure. So that's the value-of-making-the-playoffs argument.

My other point is - how mad are the players going to be if you blow it up at the deadline for "the future". It's a stab in the back and they're not going to be understanding that "well it's for the longterm good of the team that we just sabotaged your playoff hopes so we can draft the next Carl Klingberg this June. Yeah, you were 2 points out of the 8th spot on March 3, but, come on - who are we kidding - you guys aren't contenders!" How do so many here fail to see this? "Nice season, Bryan Little - but it was all for nothing, as is every season for you I guess. But don't worry - I'm going to turn that 2nd rounder we got for Stu into the next Jeremy Morin!"

Edit: Oh, and the reason Atlanta's cupboard was bare was because the one time they made the playoffs, they massively overpaid for veterans at the deadline (Tkachuk and Zhitnik). Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting the Jets try that...

Nice post. Totally agree. More than anything this team needs team success to stop the tread-mill and move forward. Chevy has done a great job restocking the cupboard and I trust he will continue to draft well. However, this team making the playoffs will be far more valuable than a couple more mid-range picks. Though my exception would be Seto. What he brings can be easily replaced. It would be nice to get something close to what we paid for him so we have our full allotment of picks.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Nice post. Totally agree. More than anything this team needs team success to stop the tread-mill and move forward. Chevy has done a great job restocking the cupboard and I trust he will continue to draft well. However, this team making the playoffs will be far more valuable than a couple more mid-range picks. Though my exception would be Seto. What he brings can be easily replaced. It would be nice to get something close to what we paid for him so we have our full allotment of picks.

Somewhat related to the "cupboards were bare" problem here - there's a thread on the main boards to build your team with only players they drafted who are currently active (active somewhere - not necessarily the NHL). These players have to have played a regular NHL shift. Impossible to do under those terms with the Thrashers/Jets.

Kovalchuk-Little-Burmistrov
Kane-Scheifele-Heatley
Dwyer-Slater-MacKenzie
Colin Stuart?-Santala?-Morin? <- Whole line doesn't qualify

Enstrom-Coburn
Bogosian-Trouba
Exelby-Postma

Lehtonen
Pavelec

Worst bottom-6 ever?

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1600007

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba

In reality though all anyones really suggestins is one more player on top of seto being dealt.

I get the whole supporting the team and helping them make the playoffs, which i was ok with last year when we held onto hainsey. thing is, i don't see either stuart nor jokinens contributions to this team nearly as big as hainseys' were.

I totally believe that moving one of these guys plus seto will not amount to a giant slide. If this teams good enough to make the playoffs this season with 1 of these two guys, i Firmly believe they're good enough to make it with their minutes going to a guy like odell or postma/ellerby/redmond/etc

edit: unfortunately the alternative is moer accurate. I'm not entirely sure i beleive were capable of doing it this year with or without either of these guys.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
In reality though all anyones really suggestins is one more player on top of seto being dealt.

I get the whole supporting the team and helping them make the playoffs, which i was ok with last year when we held onto hainsey. thing is, i don't see either stuart nor jokinens contributions to this team nearly as big as hainseys' were.

I totally believe that moving one of these guys plus seto will not amount to a giant slide. If this teams good enough to make the playoffs this season with 1 of these two guys, i Firmly believe they're good enough to make it with their minutes going to a guy like odell or postma/ellerby/redmond/etc

edit: unfortunately the alternative is moer accurate. I'm not entirely sure i beleive were capable of doing it this year with or without either of these guys.

I'd be willing to split the difference. I'd move Olli well before Stuart. Ideally Stuart is on the 3rd pairing but his will to do what it takes goes a long ways. O'dell would likely be able to replace Olli just fine on the 3rd line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad