Halifax, NS

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Somewhere Don Cherry is crying at the Predators not taking good ole Ontario boys
You drafted one in the 7th this year in Adam Smith who went the NCAA route. Actually surprised by this, seems strange for an NHL team to have no prospects in the OHL. Not only does it have a lot of top Ontario talent, but some States that produce high-end talent feed into it (Particularly Michigan, but New York, New Jersey, Pensylvania, Wisconsin, Illinois and Missouri also help)

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I always love reading Brock's write-ups, but I rarely have opportunity to comment on them for my specific team because the Pens don't seem to draft much out of the OHL.

I believe the only guy of note in their prospect pool that Brock will have something to talk about is Connor Hall from Kitchener, who they took this past June.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Why do you say Dal Colle was back as 20 yo in the OHL when his birthday is june 20th 1996? He was not an "overage" player. Same for Vande Sompel next season. It will be his 19 yo season. Still eligible for the WJC.

Just a different way of interpreting it. I'm referring to the fact that he's turning 20 in the season (as a 1996 birth date).

Just as Vande Sompel will turn 20 in February of his next season.

I see overage players as turning 21.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Thanks Brock!

Interesting that you think Zacha was always the best Sting on the ice despite TK scoring more. Can you elaborate why? Awesome to see as a NJ fan

Konecny was amazing too. Was easily one of the best players in the OHL in the 2nd half.

But Zacha was equally as impressive. Konecny dominated with speed/skill off the rush, where as Zacha dominated using his size/skill at both ends of the ice. Was just so hard to stop.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
"I thought Zacha had a fantastic season. Every time I saw Sarnia this year, he was the best player on the ice."

"Travis Konecny - Sarnia Sting
He was good in Ottawa, but it wasn't until the trade to Sarnia that his game really turned around. IMO, he was maybe the best player in the league in the 2nd half of the season."

So Zacha is the best player on the Sting but Konecny the best in the league?

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
"I thought Zacha had a fantastic season. Every time I saw Sarnia this year, he was the best player on the ice."

"Travis Konecny - Sarnia Sting
He was good in Ottawa, but it wasn't until the trade to Sarnia that his game really turned around. IMO, he was maybe the best player in the league in the 2nd half of the season."

So Zacha is the best player on the Sting but Konecny the best in the league?

"Best player on the ice"

Not sure if they both played on the same line, perhaps?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
"Best player on the ice"

So you are saying that when Zacha played, he was the best in the ice....because Konecny was on another line. Makes sense.

It's just some honest digging because certainly NJ fans want you to say Zacha was better than Konecny, and Flyers fans want the reverse.

Nice to think you thought Konecny could have been best player in the league the 2nd half.

Last edited:

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
I always love reading Brock's write-ups, but I rarely have opportunity to comment on them for my specific team because the Pens don't seem to draft much out of the OHL.

I believe the only guy of note in their prospect pool that Brock will have something to talk about is Connor Hall from Kitchener, who they took this past June.

The Pittsburgh Penguins

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2016/08/30-teams-in-30-days-pittsburgh-penguins.html

Indeed, Hall is the only OHL prospect they have.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
"Best player on the ice"

This is indeed true. Zacha and Konecny did not play on the same line.

However, it's also just poor wording on my part.

Essentially, here's the way I see it. In the times I saw Sarnia play, Zacha was the most impressive player on the ice because of how well he controlled the play using his size, strength, and skill level. Where as Konecny's production in the 2nd half and overall consistency made him one of the better players (in terms of importance to his team) in the league in the 2nd half. If that makes sense. If it doesn't, I apologize. Essentially, there's a reason that Zacha was Sarnia's nominee for the Red Tilson and not Konecny.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The Pittsburgh Penguins

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2016/08/30-teams-in-30-days-pittsburgh-penguins.html

Indeed, Hall is the only OHL prospect they have.

Interesting read on Hall. I wonder if his skating has improved since your last viewing? In the Penguins' summer prospects camp, it was note that Hall stood out (positively), both because of his mobility and the unexpected offensive display he put on.

Who's a good NHL comparable at this point? Maybe a Radko Gudas? A younger Brooks Orpik?

Mar 15, 2011
NJ

Essentially, here's the way I see it. In the times I saw Sarnia play, Zacha was the most impressive player on the ice because of how well he controlled the play using his size, strength, and skill level. Where as Konecny's production in the 2nd half and overall consistency made him one of the better players (in terms of importance to his team) in the league in the 2nd half. If that makes sense. If it doesn't, I apologize. Essentially, there's a reason that Zacha was Sarnia's nominee for the Red Tilson and not Konecny.
Thanks for the clarification

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey

Cool to hear a professional agrees with my interpretation on that nomination. Nice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad