3 year anniversary of the collapse: Would things be differently today?

Josh92

Mar 29, 2016
As many of you know it's the 3rd anniversary of the Leafs collapsing against the Bruins in game 7. The general consensus seems to think that if we didn't collapse things would be much different today (management, scouting, players, etc). However, I don't see it that way. The way I see it is the next year would of still been the same and we D still be pretty much where we are today. What do you guys think Leaf nation, was the collapse the reason we are on the path where we are today or did it just speed up the inevitable aka our epic rebuild.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
As many of you know it's the 3rd anniversary of the Leafs collapsing against the Bruins in game 7. The general consensus seems to think that if we didn't collapse things would be much different today (management, scouting, players, etc). However, I don't see it that way. The way I see it is the next year would of still been the same and we D still be pretty much where we are today. What do you guys think Leaf nation, was the collapse the reason we are on the path where we are today or did it just speed up the inevitable aka our epic rebuild.

:laugh: Who keeps track of such anniversarys?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
TSN apparently. I saw something on their site (side nav) about it

Figures.
I have enough trouble remembering my own anniversary, let alone an insignificant one.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I wish they had never made the playoffs in the first place. It directly led to the Kessel and Dion resigning a (both of whom should have been traded in the fall for much better value than what we eventually got for them) and the signing of Clarkson to provide depth goal scoring.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I don't think anything would have been done differently if we won that game, other than the trade for Bernier.

Management still had a false sense of faith in that group just because we went the distance with the Bruins in that series.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Getting Barkov/Mack/Jones would have been much better than making the playoffs. As great as the run was it lead to Nonis thinking we were a couple of guys away from being legit contenders. Bolland, Clarkson, Tobias etc were not the answers for this team. We traded picks for 3rd liners and gave 7 years to a 25 pt player.

Josh92

Mar 29, 2016
Getting Barkov/Mack/Jones would have been much better than making the playoffs. As great as the run was it lead to Nonis thinking we were a couple of guys away from being legit contenders. Bolland, Clarkson, Tobias etc were not the answers for this team. We traded picks for 3rd liners and gave 7 years to a 25 pt player.

But if we got barkov or Jones would we of been bad enough to get Mathews this year? Lol

Mad Brills*

Actually, the 2014 collapse (2-12 down the stretch), which caused them to fall and get nylander is the turning point. Shanahan was hired then and the rest is history.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
No.

I think dummy Nonis still buys Grabo out, lets Macarthur go and uses their combined salaries to buy Clarkson.

So the same damage still happens. Yes that team was imperfect, but Nonis made it even worse.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
But if we got barkov or Jones would we of been bad enough to get Mathews this year? Lol

Depends. We would have done a full on rebuild (I hope.) So tanking in 14 and 15 drafts. If we came out with ekblad/drai/Reinhart(since these were the top 3 guys taken and I expect if we tanked we would be bottom 3) and added marner/hanifin/Provorov in 15, I think we would have a better future than we wI'll have with Matthews. Barkov, Rielly, Ekbad, Marner is an elite core that you could win with. It's all hypothetical so who knows maybe we draft Virtanen 2nd overall. I wouldn't be happy with Nonis picking that high.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I'm glad that collapse and horrible off-season happened.

It led us to where we are today.

If we didn't make the playoffs/got knocked out in 5/won the series... who knows. Maybe they make the same moves. Maybe they don't. We don't know, and can't know, until we gain access to parallel universes.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Depends. We would have done a full on rebuild (I hope.) So tanking in 14 and 15 drafts. If we came out with ekblad/drai/Reinhart(since these were the top 3 guys taken and I expect if we tanked we would be bottom 3) and added marner/hanifin/Provorov in 15, I think we would have a better future than we wI'll have with Matthews. Barkov, Rielly, Ekbad, Marner is an elite core that you could win with. It's all hypothetical so who knows maybe we draft Virtanen 2nd overall. I wouldn't be happy with Nonis picking that high.

Its basically only fair to say that we probably would have got a better prospect then Nylander, but no where close to being fair to say we'd have a better future with those players then our current cast, because for the most part the only difference right now is the stage of development.

Were about to pick first overall, and have Rielly and 2 other players who look like they have core potential.

Last edited:

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
No.

I think dummy Nonis still buys Grabo out, lets Macarthur go and uses their combined salaries to buy Clarkson.

So the same damage still happens. Yes that team was imperfect, but Nonis made it even worse.

That money was used on Bolland as well.

Grabovski and MacArthur -> Out
Bolland and Clarkson -> In

Removing skill in favour of grit and intangibles.

That whole offseason was terrible, and the off ice moves during the season were also bad. The fact that we've managed to dig our way out of the mess Nonis caused relatively unscathed is a testament to the excellent cleanup job current management has done in erasing the past.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
the worst thing that happened to this franchise was making the playoffs, because if we missed it - Nonis would have been fired and everyone wouldn't have been extended.

BUT. we don't get Shanahan . We don't get Babcock. We don't get Dubas, We don't get Hunter. We Don't get Lamoriello.

the the cleaning out happens - but we may just be meh in scouting and all of that jazz. so There you go.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Who wants playoffs when you can be dead last and get the 1st OA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad