Proposal: 3-way trade NYR/Calgary/Winnipeg

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Jacob Trouba will start to negotiate a new contract with Winnipeg this summer. He is guaranteed to get to UFA in 2 years if he wants to go that route. We all know the water that has passed under the bridge between Trouba and Winnipeg.

Winnipeg will not be able to afford all of their players. Hellebuyck is arbitration eligible coming off a great year. Trouba is arbitration eligible and his agent will want a kings ransom. Morrissey will be a group II with no arbitration rights but he won’t be playing for entry level money again. Winnipeg likes to sign their young guys to expensive long term 2nd contracts. Enstrom is a group III and they want to keep him. Myers and Wheeler will be Group III in 2019. Laine will be a group II in 19. That’s going to be a humongous monster contract. Where are they finding the money to satisfy everyone?

There can from my perspective mainly be two alternative scenarios this summer:
Alternative 1. Trouba loves playing with Winnipeg, and the sick team they are building, and is willing to sign a long-term deal with them.
Alternative 2. Trouba tells Chevy thanks but no thanks, I am only willing to discuss a 1-2 year deal which will take me to UFA.

IF, Trouba opts for Alternative 2, it seems very likely that Trouba won't have along future in Winnipeg. And Chevy must make a decision, either trade him next season or the season after that or risk letting him go for free.

I have -- no clue -- which alternatives Trouba and Chevy will go for. But having followed numerous situations like this the last 2-3 decades in this league, I know that they sometimes end up with a player -- Jacob Trouba in this case -- getting traded. I know that Winnipeg would love to keep Trouba on a long term deal and that there make zero sense for them to trade him if that option is on the table.

But this proposal is based on the assumption that Trouba lets Chevy know that he won't sign for longer than 2 years and that Chevy decides that its time to trade him.

I just want to point that out -- because I know the above can debated endlessly and such debate wouldn't take us any closer to what might or might not happen. Its all speculation. Hence I don't want this thread to be about if Trouba loves it in Winnipeg or not or if Chevy will or won't trade him even if he hates it there. Nobody knows either way so its pretty meaningless to discuss.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Trade 1

NYR
trades Boston or Tampa's 1st round pick in 2019, Sean Day and Ryan Gropp to CALGARY for Travis Hamonic

Trade 2

NYR
trades Travis Hamonic, Ryan Spooner and a 2nd round pick in 2019 to WINNIPEG for Jacob Trouba

Comment: Calgary gave up a 1st plus two 2nds for Hamonic who has struggled for them. Now they get a 1st plus two so-so prospects in return (a former 2nd and 3rd round pick).

Both Travis Hammonic and Ryan Spooner have separately been mentioned by reliable sources as targets for Winnipeg when Trouba trades with Boston or the Islanders have been discussed in the past. Spooner has been sick in a bigger role for NYR with 13 pts in 12 games. Winnipeg want to compete now. Its very hard to get a RD that can play. A 2nd in 19' is going to have a lot of value.

Thoughts? Is the feeling in Winnipeg that Statsny will resign there removing any need they might have to get Spooner?

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Lol, the Rangers say hell no.

Hamonic is going to stay a Flame for a long time, whether we like it or not.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
This does little for Winnipeg, neither Hamonic or Spooner is a base for a Trouba deal. Also your title is wrong.

Could be, but look at when Dougie Hamilton was traded to Calgary. Everyone know that Trouba will be a very expensive defensemen in the near future. The top guys are pushing the bar with those contracts way north of 10m. A good D like Trouba — who can hit the UFA market as a 26 y/o — will become a very rich man when he signs his next contract.

I don’t at all think it’s impossible that he could require 8m per for his UFA years. It affects his trade value.

Kaen

Dec 29, 2009
Could be, but look at when Dougie Hamilton was traded to Calgary. Everyone know that Trouba will be a very expensive defensemen in the near future. The top guys are pushing the bar with those contracts way north of 10m. A good D like Trouba — who can hit the UFA market as a 26 y/o — will become a very rich man when he signs his next contract.

I don’t at all think it’s impossible that he could require 8m per for his UFA years. It affects his trade value.

So trade your good players because they might get expensive? Yeah he's definitely going to get a raise, but you're always going to have to pay your good players.

Also current defensemen that have a cap hit of 8M+: Subban and Burns. That's it. There are likely to be a few names joining them in the next couple years (Doughty, Karlsson) but I don't see Trouba being among the top 5 paid D-men in the NHL.

Reactions: Flyerfan52

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Hell no from Winnipeg. Hamonic does nothing for us, even if Trouba is leaving, Spooner would be too expensive to lock up for a third line role, and a second... oh, ever so generous.

If Trouba is to be traded, the return HAS to include a blue chip D prospect. Unless I'm missing someone, can't see one in the Rangers' organisation.

Reactions: Guffman

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
If scenario 2 plays out then whoever gets Trouba will probably win the trade. He's no superstar but just a really solid two way top pairing guy.

Reactions: Ola

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
So trade your good players because they might get expensive? Yeah he's definitely going to get a raise, but you're always going to have to pay your good players.

Also current defensemen that have a cap hit of 8M+: Subban and Burns. That's it. There are likely to be a few names joining them in the next couple years (Doughty, Karlsson) but I don't see Trouba being among the top 5 paid D-men in the NHL.

Suter got 10m per for 8 years in 2012. These cap hits are held down drastically by the cap circumventing contracts. A decent 2nd pairing D [sic] like Brandon Smith at 28 is getting 4.5m per. Orpik got what 5.5m per.

Trouba of course have to perform the coming years, but he seems to slowly but surely get better and better — like a D who get into his mid to later 20s should, and I just can’t even remotely think that 6.5m would be enough for him when he is 26. You can sign him to a 7 year contract and not even worry about him becoming worse due to age. Besides, it’s 2 more years, the cap will be north of 80 surely, closer to 90m.

And it’s also a matter of certainty for the acquiring team. Nobody can be sure of resigning Trouba if they get him. It will just affect value. With that said, I can certainly understand if the proposed return isn’t loved — just mentioning a few factors that will have an impact.

And surely, Chevy would and definitely should pay Trouba. But my post was based on the assumption that he wouldn’t want to sign up long term there.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Yeah how about the Rangers cut out the middle man and just deal for Trouba?

There have been many reports from very legit sources how Winnipeg have been interested in Hamonic in the past but that Snow wouldn’t do the trade. Supposedly Hamonic has struggled for Calgary, but he had a very good rep while playing for the Islanders. There aren’t a ton of top 4 RDs out there, and one that requests to play in Western Canada on top of it all.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Hell no from Winnipeg. Hamonic does nothing for us, even if Trouba is leaving, Spooner would be too expensive to lock up for a third line role, and a second... oh, ever so generous.

If Trouba is to be traded, the return HAS to include a blue chip D prospect. Unless I'm missing someone, can't see one in the Rangers' organisation.

Why doesn’t Hamonic do anything for Winnipeg?

Why doesn’t you consider a 2nd round pick in 19’ to have a lot of value? Those picks are often considered to have quite a lot of value and especially in a top draft like this one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad