GDT: #3 Part II Devils at Oilers

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
I'm actually fairly happy with a lot of what I saw last night. Devils outplayed Edmonton for most of the game and would have won if they got better goaltending.

One thing people need to realize about the Devils' defensive "gaffes" - Deboer's system allows the Devils to control the puck for most of the game, however it will also result in giving the other team some odd man rushes and chances because of all the defensive pinching. That's why I think it's very important that a) all the Devils' defensemen can skate well (get Volch out of the lineup) and b) we have good goaltending (i.e., Schneider, although Marty didn't play bad last night).

Loktionov and Brunner are a treat to watch. It's a shame that Loki missed the coverage on Edmonton's 4th goal, because other than that he had a great game. Brunner is electric with the puck and reminds me of Kovalchuk actually.

Ryder is also so incredibly smart with the puck. He never rushes decisions.

He really does. He reminds me alot of Kovalchuk. He has been electric

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
But ya know - Marty's fault... or Chico's if you believe in his absolute ability to summon the hockey gods and strike him down for foolishly uttering the shutout word mere moments before this all fell apart - again.

The 2nd and 3rd goals were on Marty. There is little debate there. He also should have shown more poise on the Hall goal.

With that said he did make some good saves. He wasn't bad, merely average. The problem is that average goaltending doesn't work out very well with Deboer's system.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
I thought Loki was looking like Datsyuk late night. He must have had 3 or 4 neutral zone takeaways, and showed some good puck rushing ability and creativity in the offensive zone.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN

Jason ****ing LaBarbera

*kicks trash can*

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
I think RG raises a great point.. Would Chico seriously stop ****ing mentioning a shutout every time Marty is working on one!?!? Like we all can't see the big 0 on the scoreboard.. He's a huge jinx to Marty's shutouts

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
We should be embarrassed losing with Datsyuk, Kovy, Elias, and Jagr last night

Haha. But seriously. I thought Loktionov was very impressive against the Islanders as well.

no hes not, Volchenkov is. He was on the complete opposite side

Loktionov has to react to that though, and know that his responsibility becomes the front of the net. The center and two defensemen have more or less the same coverage responsibilities, and they all need to be aware of what the other two are doing.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
For those of you complaining about our defensive play...at least we didn't witness anything like the abortion of play that Justin Schultz perpetrated on the Ryder goal.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Nothing infuriates me more than an ability to learn from mistakes. Two years running now that this team can't correct the errors they make in their own zone constantly. ****ing figure it out already. At what point do they say enough is enough already and get it fixed. And I never hear a peep about it from PDB.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
For those of you complaining about our defensive play...at least we didn't witness anything like the abortion of play that Justin Schultz perpetrated on the Ryder goal.

No instead we get to witness abortions of ill advised pinches and completely blown defensive assignments.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
I think RG raises a great point.. Would Chico seriously stop ****ing mentioning a shutout every time Marty is working on one!?!? Like we all can't see the big 0 on the scoreboard.. He's a huge jinx to Marty's shutouts

I love Chico and think he's a great guy but honestly I can't take anymore of his ramblings contrarian style of commentating. Give me Dano already.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

Going to games or watching the preseason NYI & Philly games on the Devils site with no announcers is better than listening to Cangy/Chico/Deb.

Chico is talking about a Devils happy plane ride to Vancouver in the 2nd period.
He's a jinx and the whole crew is an annoying listen.

sunnyvale

Apr 29, 2013
NJ
Besides getting absolutely walked by Hemsky I thought Larsson played a strong game. I think he was a little embarrassed after that. I thought once again Harrold and Volch were awful and was wondering why Harrold was getting ice time in OT. CBGB line killed our momentum on more than one occasion.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=2013020035-328-ingame-h
I saw Ryder take the puck away at the line with a great move, step past another D man and go in 2 on 1 with Zajac ready to rip a one-timer on a pass and Schultz play the pass and leave the shot from the outside for the goalie and Ryder threaded the needle short side over the glove with an absolute snipe. How is that an abortion of D? You mean the fumbled attempt to pass it up to begin with into traffic? We see that 30 times a game from our D.

As for the "soft goals"

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=2013020035-656-h&startTime=33
goal 2 - Brunner and Henrique screening with Henrique way too deep and late to cover the D with the shot that absolutely was a perfect location - 1 foot off the ice just inside the post. No way this is soft.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=2013020035-662-h
goal 3 - Faceoff loss? Linesman picks Salvador covering his winger to net? Aside from that yeah - Marty should have been more on the post. I'll give you this one - spongy for sure.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=2013020035-668-h
goal 4 - Poke check missed by inches or he covered up 3 other people's mistakes. Marty tried to get the shooter before he could shoot. I can't call this soft given what point in the game it was and the momentum swing underway. Brunner and Lokti both missed helping out down low.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Haha. But seriously. I thought Loktionov was very impressive against the Islanders as well.

Loktionov has to react to that though, and know that his responsibility becomes the front of the net. The center and two defensemen have more or less the same coverage responsibilities, and they all need to be aware of what the other two are doing.

I agree that Lokti has looked good.

Damn shame he chunked coverage on goal 4 yesterday and thats what people will remember. What have you done for me lately.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Well for starters his poise on the breakout last night was amazing. Very few if any turnovers .
He wasnt beat by anyone last night, even saw him physical last night in the corners. Some solid stick checks behind the net and like always looked calm cool and collected.

Also, his soft wristers from the point is exactly what we want him to do. His shots are very deflectable and he can actually get it on net.

He is already a top 4 D at worst, he will become a top pairing D by the end of the year, book it. Just because he isnt putting up numbers doesnt mean he didnt play well, and yesterday he played well

Meh, I didn't see any of that to be honest with you.

Making a breakout pass shouldn't be a reason to celebrate around here but if we've been used to #28, Salvador and White all those years, I guess you become used to the "off the glass and out" strategy.

His shots are Mike Mottau'esq and they might be deflectable, I'll give you that, cause they come in at maybe 60 mph. The opposition has more time to react to those types of shots and he needs to mix it up a little. Let a ****ing slap shot lose once in a while instead of being "too cute".

IDK, to me, he doesn't look all that great but that's maybe because everyone in hockey were saying he'd turn out to be a top pairing d-man and I haven't seen the potential of him turning into that player, just yet.

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006
Frustrating not coming out of the game with 2 points, but I still saw more positive than negative. Biggest question surrounding the Devils this year was if they could score goals and they're proving that they should be able to. Not only that, but Brunner is a threat every time he's on the ice. He looks like an absolute steal with a cheap cap hit for the next two years also. Have to start cleaning up the breakdowns, but I thought for 2 periods they did. As the games go on and players get more comfortable it should get better.

Goaltending through the first 3 games has been average at best. With Schneider and Brodeur, I don't expect that to be a theme all year. Scoring 3-4 goals like the last two games should be enough to win most nights.

The kind of thing that happened last night happens to teams early in the year. Especially ones still finding chemistry and playing opponents they're not familiar with. Take the point and move on.

Pat Zajac

Nov 5, 2010
Long Island
I can't possibly imagine anyone saying the third period is Marty's fault. None of those goals is a stinker to me honestly. Ferrance shot hits a dman in front, the first is a goal mouth scramble which should have been cleared out, Perrons is right off the faceoff and wow one of the best wingers in the league is one on one with marty. It isn't on Mart fellas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad