Who do we take?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Hawks have looked locally for a lot of kids, most are mid round and beyond. No harm in that as most of those names are NHL players or have been for a stint.

Turcotte being a local kid is just an added bonus and though I get what Chihawk21 is saying, they are not factoring that in for a #3OV pick. Our tier-1 programs have been outstanding over the past decade which is why many of those names were selected by us...strong programs in our back yard would be silly to pass up. Schmaltz was the highest drafted of that bunch, and he wasn't a local kid just played locally..I think Minny and Boston does the same as well, they will draft kids that play in strong local programs...

Jeffrey Lebowski

The Chicago Little Lebowski Urban Achievers
Jul 31, 2009
North Side
At #3, where a player is from (excluding a Podz situation) shouldn't be a factor in who you select. I'm confident that Kelley and bowman feel the same way.

They'll pick who they deem bpa

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Chelios trade too. stories on stories about him. I think he was a mount carmel guy?
Chelios never got the huge publicity in Chicago because he became a legitimate NHL prospect after he left high school and his family moved to California during his Mount Carmel years.

If I'm not mistaken, the Suk Brothers, who starred at Michigan State, received far more fan fare in Chicago than Chelios a decade later.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
Ya, that'd be the only way to really do it and come up with a fair comparison.

You'd probably want to do a few of the big market teams to try and somewhat match the population pool.
i think you are missing what im saying....no other team would have that many Chicago youth players or chicago born players. Im not saying the blackhawks have more chicago players then the rangers have new york players. the one team i could think of would be the coyotes because now they have

schmaltz, hino, dvorak, and fischer and thats just off the top of my head. oh man and galenyuk

only other person i found who played there was john moore. nobody else from illinois drafted from what i saw.

Last edited:

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
At #3, where a player is from (excluding a Podz situation) shouldn't be a factor in who you select. I'm confident that Kelley and bowman feel the same way.

They'll pick who they deem bpa
and they should. and at the same time if theres a kid from latvia that you rank the same as a kid from chicago in the draft. my guess is they take the chicago kid.

Jeffrey Lebowski

The Chicago Little Lebowski Urban Achievers
Jul 31, 2009
North Side
and they should. and at the same time if theres a kid from latvia that you rank the same as a kid from chicago in the draft. my guess is they take the chicago kid.
I disagree. You look at pretty much every other factory. Selecting by hometown might be good for marketing, but it's the last thing i would use to choose one player over another.

Honestly, +/-, height and weight, and program would be better factors to consider than birthplace.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
I disagree. You look at pretty much every other factory. Selecting by hometown might be good for marketing, but it's the last thing i would use to choose one player over another.

Honestly, +/-, height and weight, and program would be better factors to consider than birthplace.

why do you think it happens frequently? or just coincidence? also you cant disagree with a guess im making ha

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I remember when hockey people in Chicago were so excited when Eddie Olcyzk was drafted in the first round. People were ecstatic when Rob Woodward was a 2nd round draft pick for Vancouver. Chicago hockey's come a long way.

VERY long way. When I was playing it was always a big deal when a player would play D1. Now that's just commonplace and expected, and there are area players in the draft taken every year. Definitely a much different climate now.

I'd actually bet Arizona has more Chicago-area players/ties between their NHL and AHL clubs than anyone else by a long shot, off the top of my head. If Fischer was up with them this season (can't remember if he was, pretty sure he was) you have him, Dvorak, Hinostroza, and Schmaltz (Mission ties). Feel like I could forgetting someone, too.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
VERY long way. When I was playing it was always a big deal when a player would play D1. Now that's just commonplace and expected, and there are area players in the draft taken every year. Definitely a much different climate now.

I'd actually bet Arizona has more Chicago-area players/ties between their NHL and AHL clubs than anyone else by a long shot, off the top of my head. If Fischer was up with them this season (can't remember if he was, pretty sure he was) you have him, Dvorak, Hinostroza, and Schmaltz (Mission ties). Feel like I could forgetting someone, too.
galchenyuk....but then i looked and they havent drafted anyone else and only had john moore on the team for a while couple years ago. nobody else besides one defensmen from Alton but he was a junior blues guy. max cook played for the echl affiliate but was loaned and not anything to do with the yotes

Reactions: Blue Liner

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

What was Al Montoya's story? Didn't he play at Loyola? He was the 6th pick overall for the Rangers. I was shocked when New Yorkers told me that he was from Glenview, IL.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
What was Al Montoya's story? Didn't he play at Loyola? He was the 6th pick overall for the Rangers. I was shocked when New Yorkers told me that he was from Glenview, IL.
good call he was another played CYA i think??

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Al Montoya was the best player in America (along with Rob Schremp) for a good period of my childhood coming up in the AAA system. That guy was a legend.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
good call he was another played CYA i think??
I had a couple friends who played for the Young Americans many many years ago. One told me stories of playing a hockey team in Oklahoma which was the best team in a tourney. Every time he checked their players, he'd yell, "HeeHaw!" He's a good friend, but such a jerk ... but also funny.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
the blackhawks orginization does. kid familiar with the area no adjustment issue. many people in the community to help you understand who you are getting. marketing. you dont think thats an extra bonus for them? not saying they pick turcotte over anyone because of it but it is a plus. you have seen in years past that the hawks pick more chicago area players then other teams.

They don’t. None of the players you mentioned were reaches.

The Blackhawks fan base had zero idea who any of these prospects were.

Have they picked more Chicago kids than other teams?

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
Sick set up, great vision. The move at the blue line to get by the forward was also pretty nice.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Would be an incredible comeback down 3-1 in the series if the Giants can beat them. PA is the much more talented team IMO, but Byram is the best player on either side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad