GDT: #3 - NSH @ NJ - Devils looking to get off the ..Schneid vs Nashville

Status
Not open for further replies.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
I agree with this completely. I'm really surprised at Hynes decision making for these goalie pulls, makes very little sense when you measure out the risk vs. gain.

SHould just have played the full PP advantage as normal, and then if that didn't gain anything, pull with the remaining time left after that. No need to give them a free target on the PK and no need to give them the incentive to do a non-standard PK tactic where they just fire it down, because then they'll just crash for the puck and fire it down at all chances, because all they need is one good shot.

lets not stress about when the guy pulls his goalie... who cares if it becomes a huge problem this year it means we are losing all the time.... it didn't effect the outcome in either game

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Thanks to Center Ice mysterious HD blackouts I could only watch in SD.

Through the fuzziness it almost looked like Mac behind the bench at times. The product on the ice helped maintain that illusion too.

or Lex Luthor...only the most diabolical of criminal minds could facilitate so many ENGs :laugh:

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Your comparisons are just a tad selective. You are comparing against guys who didn't play very much last year. Are the new forwards better than Gomez, Bernier, and Jagr? If yes (big IF) then it's extremely marginal.

I would have preferred to keep one of Bernier or Gomez (take your pick), personally. AT least one of them should have stayed / re-signed. Really disliked Shero's decision there specifically.

This team is so depleted of any depth and raw talent, every opponent is going to be a huge challenge for this team across this season. Would have been good to have another vet filling in the bottom 6 that had some NHL skill.

I don't see how the kids (or younger replacements) gain a lot in an environment where their team is being dominated game in and game out. The way the game was played last night, this team didn't have a lot of good sustained pressure (outside of a few stuff in the 3rd), they were usually chasing and behind the Nashville play.

(Okay you can learn how to position yourself better defensively...)

But you can't show them how to have a positive offense puck presence/pressure in the NHL level if they're chasing the play all the time.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I would have preferred to keep one of Bernier or Gomez (take your pick), personally. AT least one of them should have stayed / re-signed. Really disliked Shero's decision there specifically.

This team is so depleted of any depth and raw talent, every opponent is going to be a huge challenge for this team across this season.

I don't see how the kids (or younger replacements) gain a lot in an environment where their team is being dominated game in and game out. The way the game was played last night, this team didn't have a lot of good sustained pressure (outside of a few stuff in the 3rd), they were usually chasing and behind the Nashville play.

(Okay you can learn how to position yourself better defensively...)

But you can't show them how to have a positive offense puck presence/pressure in the NHL level if they're chasing the play all the time.

I didn't catch the opener, but they haven't really been dominated at any point in either of the last 2 games....

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Dominated, in the sense that they don't have a lot of sustained pressure offensively.... i don't mean blowout games, just that they don't have poise on the puck (or they're chasing the plays). So many broken plays last night when they did move the puck up through the neutral zone.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Dominated, in the sense that they don't have a lot of sustained pressure offensively.... i don't mean blowout games, just that they don't have poise on the puck (or they're chasing the plays). So many broken plays last night when they did move the puck up through the neutral zone.

Not making an excuse, because they don't handle the puck very well, however, once the Preds took the lead they went into major trap mode and clogged up the neutral zone. And this current Devils team doesn't have the talent to beat it.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Also, I think the impact that 39-year old Patrik Elias will have is overestimated around these parts.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Also, I think the impact that 39-year old Patrik Elias will have is overestimated around these parts.

Yep. He's on the final turn of his career. Don't expect much. Right now, ole Ray is taking inventory on who is expendable and who has a future here. I think we will be very active at the trade deadline.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
On the goalie pull not impacting things, I don't think it cost us the win against the Capitals (what really cost us was not having an Ovechkin and lack of discipline, not the goalie pull), but a much stronger case could be made that it cost us at least getting one point in the game against Nashville (without the goalie pull, I think we still could have scored on the PP, since we aren't that bad at the PP, honestly and taken the game to overtime). It's also twice in a row that we've seen a similar mistake from him, and I would've liked to see him learn from his error the first time around. Hopefully, this doesn't become too big an issue this season, but right now, it's not a good pattern in the past two games, since both times I believe he pulled the goalie under unwise circumstances.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
Yep. He's on the final turn of his career. Don't expect much. Right now, ole Ray is taking inventory on who is expendable and who has a future here. I think we will be very active at the trade deadline.

I hope so because the only chance we have going forward is to acquire as many picks as possible and hope to hit on a few since the current crop of "prospects" isn't going to get it done outside of maybe Blandisi, Zacha and Q and the odds are against all three making it.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
I hope so because the only chance we have going forward is to acquire as many picks as possible and hope to hit on a few since the current crop of "prospects" isn't going to get it done outside of maybe Blandisi, Zacha and Q and the odds are against all three making it.

At some point, I think Ray is going to sit down with Cammalleri and ask him if he wants to play meaningful hockey in the spring.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
At some point, I think Ray is going to sit down with Cammalleri and ask him if he wants to play meaningful hockey in the spring.

Yup. I think we can dispense with the "we need veteran guys around to tutor the young guys" crapola. We need young skilled players who can play in today's NHL. Without them the rest is moot. I know Edmonton is still struggling and people will always point to that, but at least they have a base of talent to work with.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Yup. I think we can dispense with the "we need veteran guys around to tutor the young guys" crapola. We need young skilled players who can play in today's NHL. Without them the rest is moot. I know Edmonton is still struggling and people will always point to that, but at least they have a base of talent to work with.

You absolutely need veterans to mentor the young guys on and off the ice.

Especially if your team is going to suck, get high draft picks, and potentially have teenagers make the team. It's why they live with older players and their families.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005

You keep a couple around, but don't hold onto players merely because they are veterans. The primary goal is to improve the organization.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Cammy probably isn't worth as much to other teams as he is to us, because he's a somewhat injury-prone player with a considerable amount of term still on his contract. He's one of the best forwards on our team and signed for more years, so we'd want a really good price for him, but any team looking to trade for him probably already has better forwards and might not want to take on the length of the contract.

I think we'd want more for Cammy than other teams would wish to give precisely because Cammy is more valuable to us than to them. I doubt we see him traded away this deadline. Doesn't make much sense, and if the plan is to move him, why give him the A? Normally you don't give letters to players you want to move in a few months.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
You absolutely need veterans to mentor the young guys on and off the ice.

Especially if your team is going to suck, get high draft picks, and potentially have teenagers make the team. It's why they live with older players and their families.

I'll rephrase it. Do whatever you have to in order to acquire the talent that you need and then worry about finding the veterans. You have to do it in that order. If there's no good talent to tutor then what good are the vets.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
I'll rephrase it. Do whatever you have to in order to acquire the talent that you need and then worry about finding the veterans. You have to do it in that order. If there's no good talent to tutor then what good are the vets.

That I agree with.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
I really don't think Cammalleri is the problem when our collective offense is like watching a train wreck set on loop right now. So he had a bad game and a couple missed opportunities, plus the puck was bouncing on the most obvious one he missed in front of the net.

If anything his bad games are more noticeable because expectations of him are higher, and that's because he was among the only bright spots on our team last season. Of all the things to be unhappy about with the team though I don't think Cam even makes the list.

Except possibly the contract term but that's not his fault.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
You keep a couple around, but don't hold onto players merely because they are veterans. The primary goal is to improve the organization.

Look around, we only have a few older players NOW. And they're not holding onto Camm for the sake of holding onto him, you need a bridge player so we don't have six Tootoos in the top six and turn this into a total joke where none of the prized kids ever really can get better.

I swear some of you have a fantasy hockey mentality - just get younger players/picks at all costs and ignore there has to be on and off ice development and leadership for said players and picks. And you don't get that kind leadership and mentoring from merc players or crappy older players.

Last edited:

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL

It's not really overestimated, it's pathetic. I love Patrik to death but it's pretty embarrassing that at this point in his career he may be the best offensive player on the team.

It's really not unreasonable to think we are that bad based on our first few games. It doesn't really matter what our system is because we don't have the talent to get it done.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Remember that Cammalleri once said this with the habs:

“I can’t accept that we will display a losing attitude as we’re doing this year. We prepare for our games like losers. We play like losers. So it’s no wonder why we lose.”

I'm telling you that by the 40 game mark, he will be begging off this team.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Look around, we only have a few older players NOW. And they're not holding onto Camm for the sake of holding onto him, you need a bridge player so we don't have six Tootoos in the top six and turn this into a total joke where none of the prized kids ever really can get better.

I swear some of you have a fantasy hockey mentality - just get younger players/picks at all costs and ignore there has to be on and off ice development and leadership for said players and picks. And you don't get that kind leadership and mentoring from merc players or crappy older players.

But at some point you have to acquire those players that's can develop which is much more of a problem than lack of vets will ever be. It's not hard to acquire vets in comparison to acquiring guys to be part of the core.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad