3 Emergency players for Olympic rosters

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe_shannon_1983*

I do understand this rule, and the reasons for it.

However, doesn't this essentially increase the official roster size from 23 to 26? In other words, the 23-man roster limit is not really a limit anymore.

What is to stop a team from simply scratching a guy, claiming some phantom "injury", and then using one of their reserve players?

They might as well go ahead and make the official roster size 26-man, because that is essentially what this rule does anyways.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
ferns8916 said:
I do understand this rule, and the reasons for it.

However, doesn't this essentially increase the official roster size from 23 to 26? In other words, the 23-man roster limit is not really a limit anymore.

What is to stop a team from simply scratching a guy, claiming some phantom "injury", and then using one of their reserve players?

They might as well go ahead and make the official roster size 26-man, because that is essentially what this rule does anyways.

The way I read it you could swap a guy in, but whoever you took out would be done for the tournament. :dunno:

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
I think that the National teams should be able to ice a different team every night if they wanted to. As long as all the players are citizens of that country, why should they be forced to pick from a list of their 23 / 26 person roster. This effects Team Canada the most, because they have so much depth, it really limits their ability to shuffle line combinations, and replace players who are not doing well, etc.

joe_shannon_1983*

big_steve said:
Rick Nash just became a lock for Team Canada.

Which is unfortunate. It is unfortunate because I never wanted him on the team to begin with, and especially not now considering he has missed the whole year and hasn't earned his way onto the team due to his injuries.

But it is odd how things work sometimes, as I said Nash's injuries would actually end up helping him, more than hurting him, due to th fact that he wouldn't be able to play his way off of the team, like Bertuzzi maybe has.

Anyways, if Gretzky picks Nash, then I don't ever want to hear Gretzky say stuff like "who makes the team will depend on who is playing best at the time" ever again.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Mr Kanadensisk said:
I think that the National teams should be able to ice a different team every night if they wanted to. As long as all the players are citizens of that country, why should they be forced to pick from a list of their 23 / 26 person roster. This effects Team Canada the most, because they have so much depth, it really limits their ability to shuffle line combinations, and replace players who are not doing well, etc.

How many medals do you expect to be handed out? Its a tournament, you ice the same team every night.

I disagree with this taxi squad, you already have an extra forward and defencemen. Make it two extra forwards and two defencemen and make the official roster 25 or even 26 with another extra forward. Let the teams decide who to play from there on in like with the extra goalie.

Im quite sure every player would rather be on the official roster even if he does not play rather than on some taxi squad. Does the taxi squad recieve medals?

joe_shannon_1983*

Slitty said:
Im quite sure every player would rather be on the official roster even if he does not play rather than on some taxi squad. Does the taxi squad recieve medals?

I agree that they should just nake the official roster 26 players, as it would certainly make the taxi squad players feel as though they are more a part of the team.

I would hope that the taxi squad receives medals. I would be pretty upset if I was on the taxi squad and travelled all of the way to Italy on my two weeks of NHL vacation, and didn't even get a medal to show for it if my team won a medal.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
ferns8916 said:
Anyways, if Gretzky picks Nash, then I don't ever want to hear Gretzky say stuff like "who makes the team will depend on who is playing best at the time" ever again.

Well I never really believed that since Jose Theodore wasn't picked in 2002. He was hands down the best netminder up to that point, but Gretzky went with the old guard (Belfour and Brodeur were having shaky seasons, while Joseph was doing well).

I'm with you, I'd rather see some of the players who have been playing well this year, rather than Nash, who hasn't be playing at all. However, if Nash is put on the taxi squad, I really don't mind. He was superb for us at the World Championships, and by all accounts he was Canada's best player at the orientation camp in Kelowna. I think the entire Canada management staff recognizes that he brings a unique facet to the game, with his size and hands, that they would love to have him on the team.

Diffuser

Nov 14, 2005
Ottawa
On the topic of whether taxi players should get medals - Backup and third string goalies, as well as backup skaters get medals, do they not? Whether they play or not. Thus, I don't see why those three extra taxi players shouldn't.

Tricolore#20 said:
Well I never really believed that since Jose Theodore wasn't picked in 2002. He was hands down the best netminder up to that point, but Gretzky went with the old guard (Belfour and Brodeur were having shaky seasons, while Joseph was doing well).

I'm with you, I'd rather see some of the players who have been playing well this year, rather than Nash, who hasn't be playing at all. However, if Nash is put on the taxi squad, I really don't mind. He was superb for us at the World Championships, and by all accounts he was Canada's best player at the orientation camp in Kelowna. I think the entire Canada management staff recognizes that he brings a unique facet to the game, with his size and hands, that they would love to have him on the team.

Look at it this way. You just said it yourself that Brodeur and Belfour weren't having great seasons, and yet they still won the gold. Even in 2004 at the world cup, they picked Gagne even though he wasn't having a great season and they still won. So just because a player may be in a bit of a slump does not necessarily mean you should discount all they have done and they are still capable of doing with Canada. Keep in mind that they will be playing with much better players than they currently are, Brodeur especially, and I think Gretzky realizes this too.

wildone26*

big_steve said:
Rick Nash just became a lock for Team Canada.

Actually from everything I have heard Nash will be one of the 12 starting forwards anyway. It is a shame that Nash will be on the team as one of the starting forwards, and Crosby will be on the team as the 13th forward to warm the bench, since neither deserve it.

wildone26*

I think the rule is ridiculous, no player is going to agree to a phantom injury to give up their spot on the team, I am sorry, it just wont happen.

IdiotsPickedMyName*

So the teams already have 2 extra players and an extra goalie. Now they get 3 more? How often do you see a team get three serious injuries where these guys would start getting used.

LOL on the other hand this may be ok, Canada could name Gretz to the team just in case :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad