Series Discussion: (3) Dallas Stars vs (6) Calgary Flames

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Super stoked to hear we won. Happy for Dube too, the guy deserves it.

Hope to be able to watch game 2!

Go flames!

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Gaudreau needs to show up for this series. He was virtually invisible out there other than a couple of defensive plays in his own end. Its almost like he just isn't interested in playing for the Flames anymore. Where's the passion? When Gaudreau is playing good the whole line plays good. When he sucks....

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
It was pretty disappointing to see Gaudreau shy away from contact and let something innocuous like Pavelski's jab bother him, while Mangiapane willingly seeks chaos. I get that's not Gaudreau's game but if you can't contribute to the offense you have to find other ways to make your presence known

Reactions: SKRusty

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Gaudreau needs to show up for this series. He was virtually invisible out there other than a couple of defensive plays in his own end. Its almost like he just isn't interested in playing for the Flames anymore. Where's the passion? When Gaudreau is playing good the whole line plays good. When he sucks....

Hard to do anything when you literally have to come below your own goal line if you want the puck. When your center can neither skate nor pass the puck out of the zone, you're going to be playing a lot of defense. Typically, Monahan is decent at passing the puck out, but tonight he was just awful.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
The first line struggled mightily this game. They need to get going, because the third line is going to carry us to the promise land.

gotta get more from all three guys. Gaudreau needs to go to the Theo Fleury Academy of Small Men. Because the bitching and pain showing gets us no where. Get hit in the hands? Slash the guy across the arm or ankle and let his teammates know you’re not taking shit. Have to find a way to get involved in these games, if you’re not feeling it offensively, have to find a different way to engage yourself.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I don't understand why you keep making excuses for the subpar performance of the top line? It's been this way for literally 100 games.

Nothing about that lines performance today was acceptable. @Dack had it right - the flames are winning in spite of the top line. They need to do something about it, because Monahan has been this team's worst center through 5 games despite picking up some easy points. Dude can't even carry the puck through the neutral zone and his passing has been atrocious.

Benn - 2 shots
Seguin - 0 Shots
Radulov - 1 Shot

Johnny--1
Mony-- 1
Lindholm --1

This is what a defensive series looks like. How can you guys not recognize that both sides shut down the oppositions top line? The only thing that matters to a certain segment on these boards is that they trash 1 player over and over and over again. What is pathetic are the dudes that can't let it go.

You do understand that the Stars have last change because they are the home team right? You do understand the Stars gave up the second lowest goals in the NHL this season? There have been numerous other NHL stars that have been shut down?

Reactions: Karri Ramone

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Hard to do anything when you literally have to come below your own goal line if you want the puck. When your center can neither skate nor pass the puck out of the zone, you're going to be playing a lot of defense. Typically, Monahan is decent at passing the puck out, but tonight he was just awful.
You can't blame Monahan for his disappearing act. An engaged Gaudreau can dominate a game all by himself. Gaudreau wasn't engaged and hasn't been for some time now. If Gaudreau keeps playing like he has he's going to find himself on the trading block... which is maybe what he wants.

Reactions: SKRusty

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Benn - 2 shots
Seguin - 0 Shots
Radulov - 1 Shot

Johnny--1
Mony-- 1
Lindholm --1

This is what a defensive series looks like. How can you guys not recognize that both sides shut down the oppositions top line? The only thing that matters to a certain segment on these boards is that they trash 1 player over and over and over again. What is pathetic are the dudes that can't let it go.

You do understand that the Stars have last change because they are the home team right? You do understand the Stars gave up the second lowest goals in the NHL this season? There have been numerous other NHL stars that have been shut down?

Benn hasnt been himself for 2 yrs now ... he is not a good comparison.

Reactions: User1996

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
You can't blame Monahan for his disappearing act. An engaged Gaudreau can dominate a game all by himself. Gaudreau wasn't engaged and hasn't been for some time now. If Gaudreau keeps playing like he has he's going to find himself on the trading block... which is maybe what he wants.

if we don't advance, I would not be surprised if Johnny and/or Monahan get traded in the off season. probably both.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Benn hasnt been himself for 2 yrs now ... he is not a good comparison.

You do realize Benn and company took St. Louis to the second OT in the 7th game last year?

You hack on your own teams players yet your making excuses for other the teams players? What's with that?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
if we don't advance, I would not be surprised if Johnny and/or Monahan get traded in the off season. probably both.
Sooner if the Flames sign someone like Hall. I get the impression that Hall really wants to play for the Flames and Treliving just has to make the numbers work.

Reactions: DFF

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Sure Monahan wasn’t great tonight and struggled to find Gaudreau several times.

But if he weren’t so far above the puck a large chunk of the time it would be much easier for him to get the puck. It really goes both ways though, when Gaudreau gets the puck he rarely has a bunch of support either.

That line has been so out of sync because Gaudreau and Monahan play at two different paces, and their games are suited entirely to different styles.

I think Monahan would honestly turn some heads if he played with more cycle focused players. While at the same time Gaudreau would benefit from someone who plays at a higher pace.

I’d hate to breakup that 3rd line, but I’m starting to get behind switching Monahan and Bennett. Lindholm could even take the faceoffs on that line like they’ve had Lucic do.

It’s not like it’s a demotion for Monahan to 3C, but it just seems like a better fit for both at this point.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Sure Monahan wasn’t great tonight and struggled to find Gaudreau several times.

But if he weren’t so far above the puck a large chunk of the time it would be much easier for him to get the puck. It really goes both ways though, when Gaudreau gets the puck he rarely has a bunch of support either.

That line has been so out of sync because Gaudreau and Monahan play at two different paces, and their games are suited entirely to different styles.

I think Monahan would honestly turn some heads if he played with more cycle focused players. While at the same time Gaudreau would benefit from someone who plays at a higher pace.

I’d hate to breakup that 3rd line, but I’m starting to get behind switching Monahan and Bennett. Lindholm could even take the faceoffs on that line like they’ve had Lucic do.

It’s not like it’s a demotion for Monahan to 3C, but it just seems like a better fit for both at this point.
Well said, couldn't agree more.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
You do realize Benn and company took St. Louis to the second OT in the 7th game last year?

You hack on your own teams players yet your making excuses for other the teams players? What's with that?

i am not making any excuses. I am saying it's not a good thing being compared to Benn. The Stars won despite of him, not because of him... Benn sucks ass. I would say he is in the same class with Monahan...they are both at the bottom of the league for top lines players

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
i am not making any excuses. I am saying it's not a good thing being compared to Benn. The Stars won despite of him, not because of him... Benn sucks ass. I would say he is in the same class with Monahan...they are both at the bottom of the league for top lines players

Jamie Benn is pretty much fork territory at this time.
Back to Back miserable seasons, 30+ years, guy on the decline. Sad, because in his prime he was one hell of a talent.

Reactions: DFF

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Thought all 3 D pairs did well in game 1. I have to give Treliving credit for adding Forbort and Gustafson.

Lines 2 and 3 carrying the team right now. Maybe for game 3 if Ward can take advantage of matchups we can get the top line going.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I get that you don't mess with a winning team but I would like to see more offense coming from our D. The Stars have Heiskanen, Klingberg, and Lindell who are all scary good in that respect.

Gio is struggling mightily in the playoffs
Brodie's breakout passes are on-point but his shot is a muffin
Hanifin is busy studying Lidstrom
Gus has not come as advertised
Andersson is the only one trying in this respect but it's never really been his game

This is where a guy like Kylington comes in. I hope he eventually draws in

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I get that you don't mess with a winning team but I would like to see more offense coming from our D. The Stars have Heiskanen, Klingberg, and Lindell who are all scary good in that respect.

Gio is struggling mightily in the playoffs
Brodie's breakout passes are on-point but his shot is a muffin
Hanifin is busy studying Lidstrom
Gus has not come as advertised
Andersson is the only one trying in this respect but it's never really been his game

This is where a guy like Kylington comes in. I hope he eventually draws in

Gus has 4 pts in 5 games and has looked like a solid pp qb thus far.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Gus has 4 pts in 5 games and has looked like a solid pp qb thus far.
Other than the assist to Lindholm, I don't think his points have been all that impressive. Hanifin and Gio are also outshooting him so far in these playoffs

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Other than the assist to Lindholm, I don't think his points have been all that impressive. Hanifin and Gio are also outshooting him so far in these playoffs

I mean that’s kinda subjective eh? And I mean no one can question he is more of a threat from the point for the first unit which has opened up more opportunities for the other 4 guys.

And Giordano and hanifin (I believe) have played quite a bit more minutes than gus, so I ain’t surprised they have more shots on net than Gus. When u look at what gus has been asked of, I think he’s done a good job as of now.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
What’s with the negativity?

Dallas was kept to the outside all game.. I will take that all day long.

Hell, just switch Gaudreau with Tkachuk at even strength. Both need a spark.

Reactions: Mazatt

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Gaudreau and Monahan weren't particularly good this game but I thought defensively they were alright at least. Rather than mix up the lines too much after a win I'd rather see Lindholm and Monahan switch so Lindy plays C.

He's better defensively, he has better speed, he's the better puck carrier, and he's the better forechecker. Let Mony drift in following Johnny and Elias and have them dish it to him in the high slot where he does his best work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad