GDT: 3/29/13 - 7:30PM EDT - New Jersey VS Tampa Bay

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
I am not disputing the the suspension, 2 games is about right for that kind of hit. I am calling the consistency into question. Very interesting that 3 similar hits involving 3 different players resulted in only 2 of them getting suspended. The one that didn't just happened to be a superstar. I find that pretty curious.

Agreed. Shanahan needs to work on consistency.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
So then why did the hit against Conacher not even get looked at earlier in the season? Such a double standard.

Yup, Janssen's (sp?) hit on Conacher was MUCH worse than this hit. Janssen left his feet and I would say intentionally went for the head shot. I think I could make a case out of it since that is the kind of player he is. Thompson, on the other hand, is not a dirty player. He made an unfortunate hit, but I don't think he intended to hit his head.

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
Yup, Janssen's (sp?) hit on Conacher was MUCH worse than this hit. Janssen left his feet and I would say intentionally went for the head shot. I think I could make a case out of it since that is the kind of player he is. Thompson, on the other hand, is not a dirty player. He made an unfortunate hit, but I don't think he intended to hit his head.

the wheel of justice is just absurd.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
You can't compare hits to anything in the past it appears. I'd be happy if every case where the head is the principle point of contact, regardless of intent was 2 games. You **** up and whiff a body check, catch head first, 2 games(no prior history of course).

If you do it again, 5 games. 3rd time, 10games and your coach gets 2 games for putting you back on the ice to do it again(j/k with the coach bit).

Needs to be much more cut and dry on the part of Shanny. I don't envy his job though. I think the Cam Janssen hit on Conacher deserved at least 2 games, possibly more given his history. Nash's hit deserved a fine at the least. He did not pick the head directly as he went to forearm Kopecny in the back and it road up into the head. Lupul and Thompson were the right calls imo.

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
Stamkos was great last night. One dumb ass pass on the PP but other that that he was the best player on the ice by leagues (Hedman deserves a mention).

Stamkos has been on fire in the circle lately.

That pass that led to the SHG cannot be overlooked. But, that pass at the end of the game makes up for it. When he makes a bad decision it is often really bad. He is a great passer when he isn't a bad passer.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
That pass that led to the SHG cannot be overlooked. But, that pass at the end of the game makes up for it. When he makes a bad decision it is often really bad. He is a great passer when he isn't a bad passer.

It was a terrible pass but only in Lightning goalie land does that play become a SHG. So not that big of a deal IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad