Pre-Game Talk: 3/16/16 @ 7 PM vs Flyers - GDT dates available to sign up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Playing our backup, against one of the hottest teams in the league who always seem to have our number in the regular season, and are fighting for a playoff spot? Not too confident.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
GULP!

The Flyers name is quite apt these days. Philly has been flying lately and are arguably the hottest team in the NHL at the moment. Not much reason to expect Hawks to pull off a win except maybe that this is the second of back-to-back games for the visitors. Darling will be in the unenviable position of being out of game shape (thanks to Q) and playing a hot team who are desperate to make the post season. At least Hawks have home ice for this game. Maybe they'll surprise but I'll be watching with one eye covered.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Taking my kids to the game tonite.

Big $ - not happy to see they are staring the backup goalie - who has been shaky all season - against one of the hottest teams in the league, when the Hawks REALLY need a win.

But I'm thinking they'll win. No way a team of this caliber with this talent can lose 4 in a row.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Do we ever play a team that's not on fire? Seems like every game is a buzzsaw, especially when we are struggling

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Do we ever play a team that's not on fire? Seems like every game is a buzzsaw, especially when we are struggling

That's also one of the downsides with being the defending champs. Every team takes nights off, but playing the champs is a game that teams easily circle, particularly eastern teams that only face us twice a year.

Also a main reason why I'm taking the struggles we've had with a grain of salt. If almost everyone's always giving it their all throughout the marathon against us, kind of hard to do that as well while being fully prepped for the postseason.

scarchelli

Aug 19, 2014
Taking my kids to the game tonite.

Big $ - not happy to see they are staring the backup goalie - who has been shaky all season - against one of the hottest teams in the league, when the Hawks REALLY need a win.

But I'm thinking they'll win. No way a team of this caliber with this talent can lose 4 in a row.

"no way a team of this caliber with this talent can lose 4 in a row."

2015 hawks would have something to say about that.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Darling has been playing pretty well lately, besides that game against Boston which wasnt really his fault. Good call Q.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Darling has been playing pretty well lately, besides that game against Boston which wasnt really his fault. Good call Q.

Darling has made the stops but the comfort level we witnessed last season when he had lots of work just isn't there. Like Crawford, his rebound control hasn't been great this season, and that was one of his strengths last season.

That said, he needs to fight through it as his back-up status (and the lack of work that goes with it here) isn't going away soon. If Darling somehow wins tonight, I'd put him right back in nets on Friday.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Darling has made the stops but the comfort level we witnessed last season when he had lots of work just isn't there. Like Crawford, his rebound control hasn't been great this season, and that was one of his strengths last season.

That said, he needs to fight through it as his back-up status (and the lack of work that goes with it here) isn't going away soon. If Darling somehow wins tonight, I'd put him right back in nets on Friday.

For me it would depend on the type of win. If he stands on his head and basically wins the game for us, then yeah, I wouldn't have a problem with him coming back next game. If it's a barn burner, or we completely dominate and he wins. then you go back to Crawford.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
For me it would depend on the type of win. If he stands on his head and basically wins the game for us, then yeah, I wouldn't have a problem with him coming back next game. If it's a barn burner, or we completely dominate and he wins. then you go back to Crawford.

But why? Isn't it obvious that CC needs a rest and Darling can use the work (just in case he's called upon)?

CC has proven that he can rebound after a few bad outings. I say give him some time off if the team keeps winning.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
But why? Isn't it obvious that CC needs a rest and Darling can use the work (just in case he's called upon)?

CC has proven that he can rebound after a few bad outings. I say give him some time off if the team keeps winning.

No, it's not obvious that he needs a rest. He's has had 2 bad games recently, hardly a cause for concern.

Darling can get his work in (every other game or so), but you don't want to sit Crawford for close to a week at this time of the year.

Play Darling vs. CGY or VAN, 2nd WPG game, ARI, and CBJ for the last game. That's 5 games in the next 3 and half weeks, that's more than enough for a back up.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Yeah I don't think Crawford necessarily "needs" the rest. He's only played 6 games in the past 16 days and 9 in the past 27. That's not really a crazy work load for him. But I would like Darling to stay sharp for the playoffs just in case.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
No, it's not obvious that he needs a rest. He's has had 2 bad games recently, hardly a cause for concern.

Darling can get his work in (every other game or so), but you don't want to sit Crawford for close to a week at this time of the year.

Play Darling vs. CGY or VAN, 2nd WPG game, ARI, and CBJ for the last game. That's 5 games in the next 3 and half weeks, that's more than enough for a back up.

True (the bolded) but in case you haven't noticed Crawford has not been very good lately.... and one of the reasons could very well be mental fatigue. If that's the case, a week off would do him good. There's plenty of time before the PO's.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
True (the bolded) but in case you haven't noticed Crawford has not been very good lately.... and one of the reasons could very well be mental fatigue. If that's the case, a week off would do him good.

He hasn't been good in 2 games. Could be just 2 bad games.

And I don't think him sitting on the bench watching will help his mental state of mind. Goalies want to play, not sit there and think about the couple of bad games they had recently.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
He hasn't been good in 2 games. Could be just 2 bad games.

And I don't think him sitting on the bench watching will help his mental state of mind. Goalies want to play, not sit there and think about the couple of bad games they had recently.

Which is exactly what CC went through after faltering against Preds in last years post season. When Q put him back in he rebounded well.

JustABlackhawksFan

Jun 2, 2015
Not sure how I feel about breaking up the Kane and Panarin line after a few bad games. I know they have gone cold as of late but there were a few times during the season earlier when they went cold, but still, the line was kept together and they would go right back to being dangerous the next game.

Those two have undeniable chemistry together, but even players with that kind of chemistry will go through cold spells sometimes. It just happens. I don't know that splitting them up this close to the postseason is the way to go, but I guess it doesn't hurt to try and see what comes of it. :/ But I hope Q is prepared to put them back together if this doesn't work out.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
The net isn't too worrysome to me in the long run. Both Crawford and Darling looked bad in their last starts but the loos wasn't entirely their respective faults.

It's the top-3 d that have been playing like congealed buttsweat that has me more worried. Even though Hjammer and Keith have been alright this year overall in the backened, Seabs is playing far below his current salary in the backend and it's not helping. Neither is Keith and Hjammer recently playing down to Seabs' level in recent games.

Those 3 shouldn't need Crawford or Darling to bail them out night-in/night-out like Runblad or Daley.

I think our recent woes stop and end there; the top 3 d have to get back to playing fundamental smart D and stop putting themselves in positions to be beaten like Reginald Denny.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
TT and Ehrhoff playing tonight. Ehrhoff needs an extended look. He has looked better than Gus, TVR, and Rozsival in the games he has played.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
1. Wish Rocky would gift the players a shiney new Mirror each.

2.Of course we play a hot team..Never seem to get a team on a big slump.

3. Our best gotta be our best...how many times must I state it?

4.Hawks "pacing themselves" excuse is getting so tired.

5. Pride. Want.Work. Passion
.Urgency.

6. At least emerge from the Country Club occasionally? You know just to remind the paying cutouts you have some talent and are the world's greatest flip the switch team..do that to te-assure us. .then if you must go back to the Country Club for several more blowouts we will know for sure what jokers you are as you possum the competition into false hopes.

6. Hey Machu Picchu Man...they are giving you the other $10.5 million guy...YA think you could muster up the enthusiasm for maybe trying to score goals by actually firing a few shots at the opposing goalie rather than just 1 ,2 or none? $10.5million..How much per shot?

7.Mr.Norris Keith...you think you could get interested in a game again rather than looking like you would rather be somewhere else?
$6 MILLION BUCKS AND you can't even get 1st starving a game for eons?

8. New guys...show us.

9. Darling...please save them..for they know not what they do!

10. YA think the Flyers will get over-confident.?..Trap game for them thinking they can plaster a struggling Hawks team when it is do "down" and "fragike".

11. YA think we feel better knowing Dallas. ..might Dallas also got plastered by the Kings last night at home in Dallas and in the 2nd of a back to back for L.A.?OBVIOUSLY Kings peaking way too early Hawks still playing possum ..so best to get plasters by Flyers in order to lull playoff opponents into false impressions whilst the "real Hawks" laugh their heads off when they finally do flip the switch on. SO way too early to "energe"..Put another blowout into the bank of false impressions?

12.Memo from Q to Q: You mean I have to leave my Country Club and actually go to work to coach these guys?

13. Memo from Q to Q: Remind self to go to store and pick up.brand new Blender.

14. Memo from Seabs to Seabs: Call Jenny Craig..still time to shed a few and pickup old speed before playoffs.

15.Memo to Panarin :do not pass to Hossa ...do not encourage him to shoot.Let him.pass to you
..You shoot...Shoot first ...don't pass.*from his agent reminding him.of the bonus targets).

16. Stanbo not amused by recent slack-off...What advice does Sr. Consultant papa Scobo suggest?

17. Hawks Sr.Vice-President of Psychology advises that the it takes time to gel new trade deadline acquisitions is an old truism that always holds true...unless you are L.A. where Versteeg and Scuderi paying big dibidends ...seamless fits......but since Chicago is "normal" it is the normal truism that applies..so tge will take time to sort out caution applies.

18. Look Boss...the Switch! The Switch! We have located the missing Switch. It is on Fantasy Island.

19. Philly Cheese-Steaks vs. Chicago Hot Dogs ...err...Cold Dogs...Somebody gonna be in Hell's Kitchen after tonight!

20. The Biggest Loser? Marco Rubio or the Suckers Paying Big Bucks to attend at the U.C. tonight IF " our guys" did not look in the shiney new Mirrors Rocky just gave them.

ndgt10

Jul 3, 2009
Poland
This Flyers team, while not as talented, actually play hard every game. The Hawks, well...

Flyers 4
Hawks 1

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Which is exactly what CC went through after faltering against Preds in last years post season. When Q put him back in he rebounded well.

True, but just because it worked once, doesn't mean it will again. I want him starting at least every other game here on out, we need the points. I have zero faith in Darling right now, until he proves otherwise that he can do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad