2nd overall in the 2024 draft?

Which player gets taken 2nd overall?

• Total voters

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Ask me after the playoffs but leaning Catton or Deminov.

But with the playoffs maybe a guy like Dickinson looks too good and too ready.

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Demidov should go 2nd but I think it'll depend on the team. Some may be willing to wait for him to come across the pond, but some may want a guy who could be here sooner.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It's very wide open. I'm sure a lot of clubs still don't know who they'd take #2OA, they're watching each player's playoffs and they'll be watching their U18s and other tournaments very closely.

I would have guessed that Cayden Lindstrom would go #2, power forwards and big specimens always get a big jump in the final rankings, as teams get more serious. But his back injury takes him back to the pack for now. We'll see how he plays when he returns.

I have my doubts that a club takes an all defense KHLer in Silayev at #2, but the best argument is that he was ranked #2 on Bob's poll. He'll be strongly considered by many clubs.

If you're Chicago and you want a great handler and playmaker to go with Bedard, then you've got to take Demidov. But I could also see Demidov slipping past #5.

Catton keeps looking better and better. He'll have to take yet another step in the playoffs and U18s to overcome size bias and go #2, but he might just do that the way he is playing right now.

Sam Dickinson is the safest pick among D, but like most people I don't see big upside. But as the draft approaches perhaps teams will opt for safety, and see a glimmer of #1D upside.

Levshunov has mammoth potential, or maybe he is just a mammoth. I don't like the decision making but I'd bet some teams will have him at #2. The tools are intriguing, and he's huge. It seems like a player that will go high.

I think teams might come around on Buium and take him seriously at #2. His play as a draft year freshman is unprecedented and his tools look to be improving. I think the rankings will catch up to how good he is.

The others don't stand a chance. I could see Yakemchuk potentially getting close if he has a great playoffs and shows defensive improvement. But he's too risky to go #2.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Demidov should go 2nd but I think it'll depend on the team. Some may be willing to wait for him to come across the pond, but some may want a guy who could be here sooner.
He just has 1 more year to his contract.

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Personally I have Demidov #2 right now, but if I'm betting I'd say Lindstrom.

Looks like a lock to be a goal scoring Top 6 Fwd & players with his size/skating/meanness are hard to find.

Next guesses would be Silayev or Levshunov given their size & skating.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
Fair... but given the current geopolitical situation i dont think its guaranteed hes coming over when his contracts done. Look at Ivan Fedotov for example.
has it been an issue with any other russians or was fedotov just singled out.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Demidov, Levshunov, Silayev, and Dickinson are probably the only realistic candidates. More than likely Demidov or Levshunov though.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Voted Catton because I think teams still prefer to take C's over D or W with the super early picks, and its really close with some of these players. It could well be Lindstrom as well though.

It's still early to predict when guys are ranked so close though, how the playoffs play out in major junior could make a difference. I really have no idea, ha ha.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Levshunov would be my bet. He’s maybe not the safest choice but I think there’s a good chance more than a few teams are going to absolutely crush on his combination of size, athleticism and offensive instincts along with elite production.

He’s an incredible piece of clay to work with if you have confidence in your development staff to round out the rough edges and he’s already playing stateside against older competition, which I do think factors a bit.

He’s built like a tank, moves like a Ferrari and leads the Big Ten champs and #4 team in the country in scoring as a freshman defenseman. This isn’t a freshman racking up points on a prospect super team or doing it in a weak conference. He’s the engine of one of the best collegiate teams in the nation. That’s a ridiculous resume.

Edit: I realize Buium has a similarly outrageous resume but I think you have to separate the projections a bit in terms of ranking due to the physical differences. That certainly doesn’t guarantee Levshunov will be better at the NHL level and I think Buium could also be in the top 5 conversation for sure - but if you are talking about that elite athlete + resume combination that a team picking #2 may zero in on - I think Levshunov is the guy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad