2nd Overall 2024 Mock

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
This mock is only for the 2nd Overall pick. I will list the 12 most likely teams to draw the 2nd Overall pick in the upcoming draft. Assume Celebrini is gone at 1st. Who goes 2nd Overall if each of the following teams win the 2nd pick? Answer as many as you like.

Pick #2 San Jose:
Pick #2 Chicago: Demidov or Levshunov
Pick #2 Anaheim: Levshunov
Pick #2 Columbus:
Pick #2 Montreal:
Pick #2 Arizona:
Pick #2 Ottawa:
Pick #2 Calgary:
Pick #2 Buffalo:
Pick #2 New Jersey:
Pick #2 Seattle: Levshunov
Pick #2 Philadelphia:

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Fun idea. It’s hard because #2 on different draft boards may vary wildly.

I do think Demidov and Levshunov, from a pure physical talent and upside standpoint, are the picks at forward and defense, respectively. I feel your initial thoughts are kind of along those lines and I’d agree. I think Demidov is almost a certainty to go higher than Michkov did and have far less “Russian factor” because his contract in the KHL ends in his D+1 season and it seems like he will be headed across the pond when it is up, although not a guarantee.

But I can see certain teams preferring the relative safe floor and good upside of a Dickinson, the defensive upside of a Silayev or the overall profile of Yakemchuk at defense...maybe even somebody just loves Parekh or can’t ignore Buium’s production and rise. And forward is seemingly wide open too…you’ve got Lindstrom who has all the tools but serious injury concerns. Catton is extremely polarizing, posters I respect both love him and hate him as a top blue chip asset. I think Eiserman is almost underrated at this point and is going to be a goal machine at every level but he’s a winger. It wouldn’t even shock me if Iginla makes a late charge or somebody just loves the relative safe pick of a Helenius who has excelled against senior competition.

Reactions: montreal

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
Pick #2 San Jose: Demidov
Pick #2 Chicago: Demidov
Pick #2 Columbus: Demidov
Pick #2 Montreal: Demidov
Pick #2 Arizona: Demidov
Pick #2 Ottawa: Demidov
Pick #2 Calgary: Demidov
Pick #2 Buffalo: Levshunov(they can trade one of their men for scoring)
Pick #2 New Jersey:Levshunov
Pick #2 Philadelphia: Demidov

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
For Hawks I go Levshunov. I could wake up tomorrow and go Demidov but I keep coming back to my gut telling me Levshunov so that’s my guy for the spot.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
My guess is at draft time Demidov will sky-rocket the pro scouts rankings as they review more film of him. By the time of the draft, the odds of going 2nd oa are in the following order IMO;

Demidov
Levshunov
Lindstrom
Buium
Parekh/Dickinson/Yakemchuk

Here is my guess of how these organizations would rank the best player directly after Celebrini

Pick #2 Chicago: Levshunov
Pick #2 Anaheim: Buium
Pick #2 Arizona: Lindstrom
Pick #2 Buffalo: Demidov
Pick #2 New Jersey: Demidov

There are a lot of teams that are in need of certain positions like San Jose and Ottawa in need of a defenseman. This wasn't applied to my mock

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
My guess is at draft time Demidov will sky-rocket the pro scouts rankings as they review more film of him. By the time of the draft, the odds of going 2nd oa are in the following order IMO;

Demidov
Levshunov
Lindstrom
Buium
Parekh/Dickinson/Yakemchuk

Here is my guess of how these organizations would rank the best player directly after Celebrini

Pick #2 Chicago: Levshunov
Pick #2 Anaheim: Buium

There are a lot of teams that are in need of certain positions like San Jose and Ottawa in need of a defenseman. This wasn't applied to my mock
So does that make Anaheim brilliant or stupid?

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Hell, why not. Ranked order Most-to-least likely

Pick #2 San Jose: Levshunov, Lindstrom (if back is OK), Yakemchuk (wild card)
Pick #2 Chicago: Demidov, Levshunov
Pick #2 Anaheim: Yakemchuk (just a feeling), Levshunov
Pick #2 Columbus: Demidov, Lindstrom
Pick #2 Montreal: Demidov, Lindstrom
Pick #2 Calgary: Levshunov, Demidov, Yakemchuk, Iginla
Pick #2 Seattle: Levshunov?
Pick #2 Philadelphia: Demidov?

Reactions: Leto and majormajor

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
There's a very high chance that Sam Dickinson is #2 on Kyle Davidson's personal board

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Demidov, Levshunov, Silayev, Dickinson, and Lindstrom are most likely the only realistic options that GMs would pick.

Even then, they all have question marks.
Has there ever been a 2nd overall pick out of the MHL? Lindstrom has been injured for a while. All of the defense have questions about either their decision making (Levshunov) or offensive upside (Silayev and Dickinson)

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Interesting question. And I agree with what most of what has been said already.

Another question is....which team, if they win 1st overall lottery, would be most likely to pass on Macklin Celebrini? (Probability is small, but gotta think the choice is narrower for one of the 11 teams).

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Interesting question. And I agree with what most of what has been said already.

Another question is....which team, if they win 1st overall lottery, would be most likely to pass on Macklin Celebrini? (Probability is small, but gotta think the choice is narrower for one of the 11 teams).
It would have to be some team so desperate for a defenseman they overlook the difference in talent. Don't think it's realistic.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Davidson has a type, and it's Sam Dickinson. If he could ice three lines of Dickinson pairings, he would.

He's also the kind of GM to draft his favourite player regardless of where the pick lands.
If any GM drafts Sam Dickinson 2nd oa, that's a fireable offense

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Davidson has a type, and it's Sam Dickinson. If he could ice three lines of Dickinson pairings, he would.

He's also the kind of GM to draft his favourite player regardless of where the pick lands.
but its also Levshunov and Yakemchuk

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
For Hawks I go Levshunov. I could wake up tomorrow and go Demidov but I keep coming back to my gut telling me Levshunov so that’s my guy for the spot.

I'm also saying Levshunov.

1C and top pair RD are the hardest things to find...Bedard scratches off 1 box for the team.

ChicagoHockeyFan

Mar 3, 2019
Davidson has only drafted 2 defenseman sure they both fit the big and smooth skating mold but don’t think we can completely pigeon hole Davidson as definitely having Dickinson as best D. I also think Buium could be a guy he falls in love with

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Pick #2 San Jose: Levshunov
Pick #2 Chicago: Demidov
Pick #2 Columbus: Silayev
Pick #2 Arizona: Demidov
Pick #2 Ottawa: Levshunov
Pick #2 Calgary: Catton