Line Combos: 2nd line has been very poor so far

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I think they were clearly the best line in the first 5gms.

On-the-Fly

Feb 6, 2007
Or perhaps corsi does not tell the entire story, because they have not been the best line this year. Not even close. There is no denying this.

Good Corsi, low shooting percentages. Seems they ain't getting the greatest of chances.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Good Corsi, low shooting percentages. Seems they ain't getting the greatest of chances.

Going into last night's game Lupul and Kadri had the highest GA per 60 on the team for fwds, given this and the fact they have been only sporadically providing secondary scoring, all one needs to see is last night's game to know corsi has not been accurate portraying them as good.

This is why it is dangerous to just keep saying good possession = playing well.

One still needs context.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I think they were clearly the best line in the first 5gms.

Agreed. They're creating chances, but they're not finishing. I think leaving Winnik there is a mistake. I like the way he's playing, but you need someone with more finish on that line. I'd like to see Komarov on the top line, JVR on the 2nd, and Winnik on the 3rd.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Agreed. They're creating chances, but they're not finishing. I think leaving Winnik there is a mistake. I like the way he's playing, but you need someone with more finish on that line. I'd like to see Komarov on the top line, JVR on the 2nd, and Winnik on the 3rd.

The #1 and #3(I think they should be called #2 line)lines are playing well, you do not break them up just to wake up Kadri and Lupul. It's not fair to the team and it's not fair to the players that are actually producing and playing well.

Time for complacent and movie star to put up, or shut up. I'm tired of looking for ways to prop these 2 up.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Going into last night's game Lupul and Kadri had the highest GA per 60 on the team, given this and the fact they have been only sporadically providing secondary scoring, all one needs to see is last night's game to know corsi has not been accurate portraying them as good.

This is why it is dangerous to just keep saying good possession = playing well.

One still needs context.

Strong possession and high GA have a negative correlation.

But anything can happen over a small sample of games.

The problem is that this team is throwing out the same line combinations that have clear deficiencies. The first line can't maintain possession. The 2nd line can't finish.

Our coach responds by doing precisely nothing.

If they want to create balance, they need to actually balance personnel.

Otherwise we will continue to be a team that relies on Kessel to play well to win. We already know how that works. Or, more accurately, that it doesn't work long-term.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
The #1 and #3(I think they should be called #2 line)lines are playing well, you do not break them up just to wake up Kadri and Lupul. It's not fair to the team and it's not fair to the players that are actually producing and playing well.

Time for complacent and movie star to put up, or shut up. I'm tired of looking for ways to prop these 2 up.

The first line is not playing well. I'm not satisfied by them playing hot and cold. They have looked great for 3 games. They have looked terrible in the other 4.

That's not what I expect.

The 3rd line has been the most consistently provided the highest level of play. They've definitely been good.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The first line is not playing well. I'm not satisfied by them playing hot and cold. They have looked great for 3 games. They have looked terrible in the other 4.

That's not what I expect.

The 3rd line has been the most consistently provided the highest level of play. They've definitely been good.

The #1 line is starting to hit their stride, they are still by far our most important line and producers.

I saw nothing last night to break them up. + 7 and 3 goals last night. And you want to break them up, because 2 guys are not pulling their weight and need to be propped up.

If I am RC, I tell Kadri and Lupul to start playing, or be demoted.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Yeah, the second line hasn't looked good. Booth won't be back for a few more weeks, but when he's back, he could help the second line out. For the time being, it's difficult because if they want to switch up the lines, they've got to break up either the top line or the third line, which have both been very good.

Might be worth just waiting it out until Booth returns and then going with this:

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Booth
Komarov-Santorelli-Clarkson
Winnik-Holland-Panik

Think that would help the second line and fourth line, which are the two lines that have been struggling the most.

Steveei

Sep 10, 2012
Why don't we try Kadri at wing again for a few games? Could be some cool combos. Not sure if its a good idea though, especially if they want to groom him as a 1C eventually.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
The #1 line is starting to hit their stride, they are still by far our most important line and producers.

I saw nothing last night to break them up. + 7 and 3 goals last night. And you want to break them up, because 2 guys are not pulling their weight and need to be propped up.

If I am RC, I tell Kadri and Lupul to start playing, or be demoted.

We're 3-4. The 1st line doesn't look like they're hitting anything. They're playing like they always play. Haphazard defensively, but capable of brilliance offensively.

Last night we ran into a goalie who had an off night. Yiu won't see much to break them up on a night they play well. What about against Detroit? Did they even play?

That's what bothers me. Almost $17m of cap on that line. Almost double the 2nd, and sadly, not quite double the 3rd.

If they're loaded up like that, they need to basically carry us to victory every night.

Spread it out.

mikebel111*

If very poor means bad in 2 of the 7 games, than please keep being poor
The 2nd line has been our 2nd best line they just need to convert

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
They did very well for the majority of games so far this season, they just didn't cash in on their chances.

Not worried about Kadri whatsoever, he's on a contract year and has lots to play for. He has ebbs and flows in his production similar to Kessel, once he gets going people will forget about this bad stretch.

We got an awesome 3rd line which is great to see, we never had that last season. I was skeptical of the Komarov signing at first, but man oh man does he do this team good.

MapleLeaf4ever

Feb 9, 2013
GTA
Leafs currently have a very solid 3rd line in Komorov-Santo-Clarky. This line I personally would not touch.

Komorov doesn't seem to have the finishing touch that a top 6 player needs (that said Winnik most certainly does not).

The first line, despite being offensively gifted, is very poor defensively. You know Kessel isn't moving off that line, and Kadri-Kessel despite better corsi, is even worse defensively than JVR-Bozak-Kessel. Best keep them split up and surround them with two way players.

This is where a guy like Levio would be perfect. You don't need to give up any important Assets (Ashton and Frattin haven't really been playing anyways so cut them and if you loose them w.e), he has some size to him (6'1" 173 ibs), plays a very solid defensive game, and can contribute offensively. Booth may be a good option short term but i'd rather not get attached. He has his flaws and personally I prefer homegrown players. When Levio is cleared to play again, after a brief stint in the minors to get back to form, call him up.

This leaves just the team needing a guy like kreiji or bergeron desperately within 3 years and they could contend in the east, however serious restructuring would be needed to take on the likes of LA, Anahiem, Chicago, St. Louis, San Jose, Dallas, or Minnesota for a cup win at the present.

Line up as I would like to see:

JVR - Bozak - Kessel

>Despite lacking consistancy and having poor defensive play, until a physical two way centre falls into there lap this line likely wont improve and better options don't really exist.

Levio - Kadri - Lupul

>Both wingers are good on either side. line as a whole is very fast and on a good night will be very physical. Kadri and Lupul will pot 50 points a piece and Levio may be able to do 15G 20A as he settles in.

Komorov - Santorelli - Clarkson

>Two wingers will hit anything and everything in sight. Santorelli is a perfect combination of what Grabovski and Bolland brought to the table. Fast, dangley play maker who can utilize his wingers and play solid in his own end. Santo may not be here for the long term however, in which case a guy like Holland will need to see more ice and earn more in order to solidify this group for more than 1 season.

Winnik - Holland - Kozun/Bodie/Orr

>Winnik is a great role player, and ideally that is what the 4th line in todays NHL should be, a group of role players who are defensively responsible and can give your top guys and extra minute or two to breath. Right now it's play less than 5 mins. Part of this is because Pannik, Frattin, and Ashton are dead weight. When Booth/Levio come back ice time should increase, however Bodie is a great 4th liner who can provide energy and answer the bell should it ring and should be a rotating option for the leafs playing now. Finally I still believe that during the week until something changes to liven up the ACC or against a team like Boston or LA or any team that takes shots at guys and employs ratts like Ghallager, Marchand, Cook, Ott ect. Orr should be dressed to police it. Unlike MacLaren, Orr can actually play hockey. He is a semi-decent forechecker and an intimidating pressence on the ice. If he stays conditioned then we would have a very versatile forward group.

As mentioned, injuries to Levio/Booth, and Kozun have thinned out this roster. However in the past when guys would get hurt we would only be down to one or two lines, we are now at 2-3 lines. Team will be much deeper as guys like Broll, Brown, Carrick, Devane, Gauthier,and Mckegg, develop into serviceable NHLer's and The team is truley only two top 6 two way forwards (one who plays centre) from being a contending team in the east.

mikebel111*

Proving that Kadri needs good physical wingers to do well.
Not players like Lupul who care about how they look.
Maybe Leivo?
Line has been good for most part and dont give me heart attacks unlike first line

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Kadri and Lupul just don't seem to have that chemistry they once had .. Kind of like how it disappeared between Grabo, Kule and MacArthur

Wouldn't mind splitting them up and trying some new combinations

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
The 2nd line has been one of the best lines if not the best.

Stop being so reactionary. They have great possession time and lots of great chances.

The goals will come.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Kadri and Lupul just don't seem to have that chemistry they once had .. Kind of like how it disappeared between Grabo, Kule and MacArthur

Wouldn't mind splitting them up and trying some new combinations

I'm of the belief that Kadri and Lupul never had chemistry. Kadri was just so hot that shorted season that anyone who got put onto this line automatically started scoring. Started with Frattin, then MacArthur, and by season's end Lupul and Kulemin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad