Proposal: 2nd + Jarry or 2nd + Simon/ZAR to move up in the 1st round

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
I'm not sure I'd do it yet, but if we were to do that how far up could we move up in the 1st round?
Probably not very far. Also we should be keeping ZAR, he’s a good and cheap bottom 6er. I like Simon and I think he’s very underrated on this site, for that reason we are probably better off keeping him since I doubt a team would cough up a 1st.

2nd+Jarry to a team struggling in net is more realistic for a 1st. Even then, I don’t think JR makes an attempt to get into round 1 (which is boring).

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Probably not very far. Also we should be keeping ZAR, he’s a good and cheap bottom 6er. I like Simon and I think he’s very underrated on this site, for that reason we are probably better off keeping him since I doubt a team would cough up a 1st.

2nd+Jarry to a team struggling in net is more realistic for a 1st. Even then, I don’t think JR makes an attempt to get into round 1 (which is boring).

We don't have much depth after Murray and Jarry though. I'm not sure that's a good idea.

Maybe move Sheary for a 2nd and package that 2nd with our current 2nd to get in the 1st round.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
We don't have much depth after Murray and Jarry though. I'm not sure that's a good idea.

Maybe move Sheary for a 2nd and package that 2nd with our current 2nd to get in the 1st round.
I don’t see why we would keep Jarry honestly. He’s young and talented but he’s not gonna take Murray’s job anytime soon. I say trade him for a quality pick or player that helps us win now and sign a veteran backup for cheap. We are wasting his value.

As for the Sheary idea, that could work but getting a 2nd for Sheary may not be easy.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
I don’t see why we would keep Jarry honestly. He’s young and talented but he’s not gonna take Murray’s job anytime soon. I say trade him for a quality pick or player that helps us win now and sign a veteran backup for cheap. We are wasting his value.

As for the Sheary idea, that could work but getting a 2nd for Sheary may not be easy.

I'd be willing to trade Jarry only if we get a mid 1st in return. I'd sign Halak to backup Murray if it were to happen.

Also, if Kennedy got us a 2nd I think Sheary could get us one too.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I would not trade Jarry. The Penguins need the goaltending depth after trading Gustavsson, and Jarry will likely come in as an even more valuable commodity if we want to trade for an established player, or for Seattle expansion (they could take Jarry instead of one of our top 4 Dmen or top 6 forwards). Moving him just for futures doesn't make sense. While his upside is extremely high, he's not at an Ilya Samsonov level type to garner a top-15 first rounder that could help us sooner than a later 1st round pick likely would.

I would not trade ZAR. He is a player who I believe is ready to play this season (regardless of whether they keep him in the AHL or not) and has important upside as far as bringing an element of physicality, net-front presence on the PP, PK ability and overall energy kind of player. Not only does he bring this different element, but we will need him as a LW to replace one of Sheary or Hagelin -- at least one of whom will be traded or let walk (Hagelin UFA) to open up some cap room and a roster spot.

As for trading up, I think we simply don't have enough prospects/picks we are able to part with that would enable us to move up anywhere near enough from #53 into the 1st round. This draft has decent depth and we just need to do our best to draft really good players with picks #53 and #64. We may be able to move up 5-10 spots from either of those picks without giving up too much, but more than that is probably very unlikely.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Penguins are good at picking in round 2 and 3. Rather just hold on to Jarry than try and move up.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Jarry's value alone is around a late 1st, so if the Penguins want to get into the 1st round, I'd just look to move him straight up for a pick around 25-30.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00