• RD Kirill Slepets - 2019 5th

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RW Tuukka Tieksola - 2019 4th

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
sure but ceilings are different. Pono's ceiling isnt that high.
It's not as low as you think though. He'll never be a game breaking 1C but there's no reason if he hit his ceiling he couldn't have a David Krejci like long term 2C impact. That's very unlikely but I don't know how you can essentially rule it out this early in his career.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
It's not as low as you think though. He'll never be a game breaking 1C but there's no reason if he hit his ceiling he couldn't have a David Krejci like long term 2C impact. That's very unlikely but I don't know how you can essentially rule it out this early in his career.
based on what exactly? he doesnt have a consistent offensive game to suggest he could be a Krejci like center. He sure doesnt have the size, yet, to handle that either.

his 2 game show was good and all but its very hard to say he would have that level at game 30, 50 or 80 of a season.

Reactions: MinJaBen

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
based on what exactly? he doesnt have a consistent offensive game to suggest he could be a Krejci like center. He sure doesnt have the size, yet, to handle that either.

his 2 game show was good and all but its very hard to say he would have that level at game 30, 50 or 80 of a season.
Krejci didn't have any tools that Pono doesn't have. Krejci was a very smart hockey player and worked on his handling and shot and skating to become what he became without any trait that really stood out as being great, just an overall solid, smart hockey player. There is no reason Pono is incapable of being able to do the same thing if things click for him and he works towards hitting his "ceiling."

And frankly, this idea of any player having a "ceiling" is just completely absurd. Every player can continually get better throughout their career. Sure there are certain physical traits that players will never get, but those can be overcome in other areas of the game. The mental aspect can get you very very far in this league. Probably not to McDavid heights but certainly a Krejci level.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Krejci didn't have any tools that Pono doesn't have. Krejci was a very smart hockey player and worked on his handling and shot and skating to become what he became without any trait that really stood out as being great, just an overall solid, smart hockey player. There is no reason Pono is incapable of being able to do the same thing if things click for him and he works towards hitting his "ceiling."

And frankly, this idea of any player having a "ceiling" is just completely absurd. Every player can continually get better throughout their career. Sure there are certain physical traits that players will never get, but those can be overcome in other areas of the game. The mental aspect can get you very very far in this league. Probably not to McDavid heights but certainly a Krejci level.

"ceilings" are glass and can be busted. but players have ceilings none the less

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
The ceilings in my house are drywall and framing lumber.
1709140986572.png

• Haha
Reactions: geehaad and DaveG

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
We will be a lot of things if Heimosalmi ends up a 4C, but I'm not sure "lucky" is one of them.
I made the poor assumption that we all were talking about the forward cluster of Blake/Pono/Koivunen etc….

So I deserved that comment. :laugh:

I’ve always seen a bit of Vlad Namenstikov in Pono, though that guy put up some decent numbers a few times. Maybe a lower case version of that.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Can you name some examples of players who busted their ceiling and ended up a lot better than expected?

Brad Marchand, Brandon Hagel, Mark Giordano, Jaccob Slavin, Jonathan Marchessault, Carter Verhaeghe, Gustav Forsling, etc etc. That’s just off the top of my head. A combo of late bloomers and guys that just vastly outplayed their draft status.

Not to mention, Ponomarev was a 2nd round pick. Assigning a ceiling of 4th liner to him is entirely and completely arbitrary and based on nothing but vibes. Yes, his style of play suggests a grindier, bottom 6 style. But his production and progression thus far suggests something more. This is a guy who’s been a 1C on most teams he’s ever been on. It’s one thing to guess that that’s where he’ll end up, but saying his ceiling is 4C is ridiculous. We’re not talking about Nick Dodge here.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Brad Marchand, Brandon Hagel, Mark Giordano, Jaccob Slavin, Jonathan Marchessault, Carter Verhaeghe, Gustav Forsling, etc etc. That’s just off the top of my head. A combo of late bloomers and guys that just vastly outplayed their draft status.

Not to mention, Ponomarev was a 2nd round pick. Assigning a ceiling of 4th liner to him is entirely and completely arbitrary and based on nothing but vibes. Yes, his style of play suggests a grindier, bottom 6 style. But his production and progression thus far suggests something more. This is a guy who’s been a 1C on most teams he’s ever been on. It’s one thing to guess that that’s where he’ll end up, but saying his ceiling is 4C is ridiculous. We’re not talking about Nick Dodge here.
IIRC before Slavin and Pesce made the show very suddenly their first professional year, we were ranking them as about our 10th best prospect at that time.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020

Yes this is what I was getting at as well.

Reactions: Daeavorn

w e l o s t b o y s

Drawing Frog 8
Nov 21, 2009
London
IIRC before Slavin and Pesce made the show very suddenly their first professional year, we were ranking them as about our 10th best prospect at that time.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Always fun to see how pointless these ranking exercises are… :laugh:
My god. Not only did we have Jaccob Slavin at #10 behind Trevor Carrick, but we also had I-did-one-cool-breakaway-at-a-practice Sergei Tolchinsky at #4 above Sebastian Aho.

1. Hanifin​
2. Fleury​
3. Nedeljkovic​
4. Tolchinsky​
5. Aho​
6. Pesce​
7. McKeown​
8. Carrick​
9. McGinn​
10. Slavin​
For the record, Aho was JUST drafted and he broke out afterwards. Also, it's pretty sick that of that group, you have 7 NHL regulars (I count Fleury as like a #6/#7).

Apparently we also had Nicolas Roy not get in the top 10, so that's 8 regulars. I'd be surprised if our current farm system gets 8 regulars in the show 9 years from now.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
My god. Not only did we have Jaccob Slavin at #10 behind Trevor Carrick, but we also had I-did-one-cool-breakaway-at-a-practice Sergei Tolchinsky at #4 above Sebastian Aho.

1. Hanifin​
2. Fleury​
3. Nedeljkovic​
4. Tolchinsky​
5. Aho​
6. Pesce​
7. McKeown​
8. Carrick​
9. McGinn​
10. Slavin​
For the record, Aho was JUST drafted and he broke out afterwards. Also, it's pretty sick that of that group, you have 7 NHL regulars (I count Fleury as like a #6/#7).

Apparently we also had Nicolas Roy not get in the top 10, so that's 8 regulars. I'd be surprised if our current farm system gets 8 regulars in the show 9 years from now.
"I'd be surprised if our current farm system gets 8 regulars in the show 9 years from now."

Actually, I'm thinking it will be higher, 9 or more--Pono, Nikishin, Nadeau, Morrow, FUS are 5 locks.

I'd add Koivunen & probably at least one of our goaltenders and perhaps a couple of defensemen (Nystrom, Heimosalmi). I'd also think that there would be another Ru player hit out of the 12 playing there right now.

Reactions: Bridgeburner96

w e l o s t b o y s

Drawing Frog 8
Nov 21, 2009
London
"I'd be surprised if our current farm system gets 8 regulars in the show 9 years from now."

Actually, I'm thinking it will be higher, 9 or more--Pono, Nikishin, Nadeau, Morrow, FUS are 5 locks.

I'd add Koivunen & probably at least one of our goaltenders and perhaps a couple of defensemen (Nystrom, Heimosalmi). I'd also think that there would be another Ru player hit out of the 12 playing there right now.
you have quite the different meaning of lock than I do

Reactions: Discipline Daddy

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

1. Hanifin​
2. Fleury​
3. Nedeljkovic​
4. Tolchinsky​
5. Aho​
6. Pesce​
7. McKeown​
8. Carrick​
9. McGinn​
10. Slavin​

And Foegele, and PDG, and Lorentz and even Wallmark

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Above Aho was quite stupid, but Tolchinsky was always a boom or bust guy with an extremely high ceiling but no possibility of making the NHL if he couldn't play in the top 6.

And honestly? I still think he could have been that guy in another system that wasn't as obsessed with anti-creative possession system hockey. He's one of the top scorers in the KHL these days, tied for 11th in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad