23/24 NHL Playoff Thread

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Dipped into the Stars GDT after game 1 just to lurk and see how they were feeling afterwards, noticed their posters are almost all rocking animated playoff PFPs that at some point use the phrase “we deserve it”.

Anyone know what that’s all about? What is it they think they deserve, exactly?

Edit: I had hoped it was a tongue in cheek reference to Moneypuck’s “deserve to win meter” but…nah. It’s apparently them just being “as obnoxious as possible”, classy “let’s be dbags anonymously online” trolling.

The internet was a mistake.

Last edited:

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Dipped into the Stars GDT after game 1 just to lurk and see how they were feeling afterwards, noticed their posters are almost all rocking animated playoff PFPs that at some point use the phrase “we deserve it”.

Anyone know what that’s all about? What is it they think they deserve, exactly?

Edit: I had hoped it was a tongue in cheek reference to Moneypuck’s “deserve to win meter” but…nah. It’s apparently them just being “as obnoxious as possible”, classy “let’s be dbags anonymously online” trolling.

The internet was a mistake.
Letting the idiots on it was the bigger mistake.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Turned on the Avs/Stars game just in time to see the Avs 5th goal, Oettinger doesn’t look like he’s playing very well right now…

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
It's looking more and more likely that I won't watch the Cup finals. The only way that happens is if it's Stars vs. Rangers. Can't cheer for either of them, and loathe to see either win. Would bum me out. Go ANYBODY ELSE! haha.

Reactions: wewantyoursoul

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
It's looking more and more likely that I won't watch the Cup finals. The only way that happens is if it's Stars vs. Rangers. Can't cheer for either of them, and loathe to see either win. Would bum me out. Go ANYBODY ELSE! haha.
I generally don't give a crap about the playoffs if my team is not in there. Same is true in this case but Pavelski is my favorite active player in the league. I would love for him to win a Stanley Cup.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
What a third period for Chris Kreider. Rangers go into the period trailing 3-1 and Kreider comes up with a natural hat trick to give New York. 4-3 lead and the eventual series win. Kreider will never have to buy a drink in Manhattan ever again.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
What a third period for Chris Kreider. Rangers go into the period trailing 3-1 and Kreider comes up with a natural hat trick to give New York. 4-3 lead and the eventual series win. Kreider will never have to buy a drink in Manhattan ever again.
I started watching the game in the 3rd.

You are welcome Rangers fans.

• Haha
Reactions: Fuhrious

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I don't know how Vancouver is doing it. Their best player, Pettersson, has been a total non-factor in the playoffs so far (one goal and three assists); Hughes, their power play quarterback and driving force, has been ineffective this series for the most part, and they are playing their third string goalie. Yet, here the Canucks are, leading Edmonton three games to two in the series.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don't know how Vancouver is doing it. Their best player, Pettersson, has been a total non-factor in the playoffs so far (one goal and three assists); Hughes, their power play quarterback and driving force, has been ineffective this series for the most part, and they are playing their third string goalie. Yet, here the Canucks are, leading Edmonton three games to two in the series.

Elite sniper Carson Soucy.

That's how.

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
Vancouver doing the Vancouver things they’ve done since I was a kid growing up in Vancouver cheering for the Canucks.
That was an embarrassing effort in a game that would’ve sent them to the Conference Final.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
We're halfway through game seven and Edmonton is up 2-0 while outshooting Vancouver 25-5. It's like after the Canucks won game five, they all came to the conclusion that, nah, we ain't this good.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
I dunno, watching that Canucks series loss via boxscore it reminded me of why I dont like Tocchet as a coach...

1) His motivational knob has two settings : "veteran's buddy", when things are going good everyone is happy as a clam, and "vague 'i'm not mad i'm disappointed' call-outs of his players in post-game pressers, thick with 'i dont know' replies and annoyed body language that he has to endure the media". Neither of those are sustainable long-term coaching strategies.

2) Dude has no tactical sense in-game. If Plan A isnt working, you're pretty much just boned because he's not going to make any adjustments.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
KInd of glad to see Edmonton win tonight. I don't think the Oilers have much of a chance against Dallas, but I don't think Vancouver has any chance at all.
This is what I thought too. Of the 4 series this one had the poorest hockey overall and neither team is getting past Dallas. I think Colorado, Boston, Carolina, Vegas, and maybe even Toronto would have all beaten both these teams had they met.

New York Florida will be interesting but if I had to bet I'd say Dallas-Florida cup final.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
To be fair to the Canucks (except Petterson, who is garbage), they had some substantial injuries last night. They really didn't have much going and it showed, but it did get close.

Oilers don't stand a chance against Dallas. Dallas vs. NY or Florida. I say New York does it this time, and I don't want a lick of the finals. If Florida makes it, I'll watch for sure. Always like to see a first (if they win).

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
As a former Canucks fan I had to empathise with the fans in attendance who paid big $$$$ to see their team, with home ice, do virtually nothing for 50 minutes, resuscitate hope, only to fall short yet again. Again.
It’s heartwarming that their POS owner went to bed unhappy.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
As a former Canucks fan I had to empathise with the fans in attendance who paid big $$$$ to see their team, with home ice, do virtually nothing for 50 minutes, resuscitate hope, only to fall short yet again. Again.
It’s heartwarming that their POS owner went to bed unhappy.
Why do people dislike Aquilini so much? Does he interfere too much in running of the org?

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
Why do people dislike Aquilini so much? Does he interfere too much in running of the org?
It’s not that, although historically he did, yes. He pushed hard to get Ekman-Larsson, and clung to Benning for years because he wanted to GM by proxy.
His family were and are notorious slumlords going back as far as the 1980’s.
They were sued in the 2000s for denying water and bathroom breaks to farm workers on their massive blueberry swathes. They’d be docked an hour’s pay if they stopped for either.
Francesco’s three adult kids all have no contact orders against their father, a billionaire, swearing in court that he physically abused them when they were growing up. They refuse to see him.
I met people who used to work for the Canucks who are bound by NDAs who told me he’s way worse than the public record.
Just an utter POS.
Hence my walkaway in 2022 and embracing of the Kraken.

• Wow
Reactions: sigma six and kihei

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
It’s not that, although historically he did, yes. He pushed hard to get Ekman-Larsson, and clung to Benning for years because he wanted to GM by proxy.
His family were and are notorious slumlords going back as far as the 1980’s.
They were sued in the 2000s for denying water and bathroom breaks to farm workers on their massive blueberry swathes. They’d be docked an hour’s pay if they stopped for either.
Francesco’s three adult kids all have no contact orders against their father, a billionaire, swearing in court that he physically abused them when they were growing up. They refuse to see him.
I met people who used to work for the Canucks who are bound by NDAs who told me he’s way worse than the public record.
Just an utter POS.
Hence my walkaway in 2022 and embracing of the Kraken.
Seems like a gem of a person .. :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad