Speculation: '23-24 Keefe Coaching Thread

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Kind of interesting. I am not a systems expert, but it seems to me that TOR changed their style. Keefe has them get the puck quickly through the neutral zone and into the opposing zone: quick outlet passes, hitting forwards in stride and using speed to get the puck through. We didn't see a lot of D to D passing and waiting for forwards to line up at the blue line.

What do you think? Will this style jive with this team?

Did you notice a difference?

Reactions: IPS

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Kind of interesting. I am not a systems expert, but it seems to me that TOR changed their style. Keefe has them get the puck quickly through the neutral zone and into the opposing zone: quick outlet passes, hitting forwards in stride and using speed to get the puck through. We didn't see a lot of D to D passing and waiting for forwards to line up at the blue line.

What do you think? Will this style jive with this team?

Did you notice a difference?

Don't quote me on this, but I think someone mentioned they are going from zone to man to man in the D zone.

Not sure what else they would have changed, but I think that was mentioned... only caught a little of the first game and some highlights so wasn't able to watch too much of the system.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Don't quote me on this, but I think someone mentioned they are going from zone to man to man in the D zone.

Not sure what else they would have changed, but I think that was mentioned... only caught a little of the first game and some highlights so wasn't able to watch too much of the system.
Not sure why they would change systems in the Dzone. They were great defensively last year.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I think this is where it was mentioned

This article
Good link. Bourne mentioned this on their show earlier this week too. With the new coaches on the bench I am sure lots of discussions where had about league trends, what seems to be working and what might align to the players they have on the roster.

I mean, they won shit last season, so something does have to change if you want a different result. It doesn't always have to be a monumental player change and we'll see if subtle game plan changes can have a positive effect. Worst case you can revert to what you know if things go off the rails.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
It looked like the were using the stretch pass more.

I think it's a lazy way to play. It has its advantages at times. Especially when you have speedy wingers like the Leafs do.

But the team works best when they execute their breakout starting with short outlet passes inside the zone.

Usually defenseman or centre to strong side winger, who carries it to about the blue line, then cuts into the middle of the ice to make a play from there.

They changed the defensive zone coverage to man on man. If you re-watch the fourth Habs goal you can clearly see Klingberg follow his man out past the circle and over to the other side of the ice. I know he's brutal defensively, but I'm pretty sure even he wouldn't do that unless the coaches were instructing him to.

They couldn't play a trap because they were either tied or coming from behind the whole game, but I'm interested in seeing if they will implement the 1-3-1 late in games they hold a lead now that Boucher is on the coaching staff.

I'm not sure what the reasoning for changing the defensive scheme was other than to think the NHL is a copy cat league and Tampa used man on man coverage during their cup runs.

Go Leafs Go

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Anyone else get a feel at the end of game 1 when they pulled Sammy that Boucher and the schemes he was jotting down on the whiteboard were absolutely brilliant?

The way Boucher took over the coaching duties while Keefe just stood there to the side with his hands in his pockets looking totally emasculated was eye opening. Keefe looked like a complete cuckold, watching another man pleasure his wife lol.

I'm not a big Keefe fan but if is willing to pass on certain coaching duties like this while he handles lines and whatever else he does I think it will be good for the team in the long run

Reactions: Jmo89

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Anyone else get a feel at the end of game 1 when they pulled Sammy that Boucher and the schemes he was jotting down on the whiteboard were absolutely brilliant?

The way Boucher took over the coaching duties while Keefe just stood there to the side with his hands in his pockets looking totally emasculated was eye opening. Keefe looked like a complete cuckold, watching another man pleasure his wife lol.

I'm not a big Keefe fan but if is willing to pass on certain coaching duties like this while he handles lines and whatever else he does I think it will be good for the team in the long run

I read in one of the game recaps that Boucher is in charge of all odd man situations, including the pk, pp, and 6-on-5.

I'm not really sure what the rest of the coaches do anymore though.

Reactions: supermann_98

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica

Yep totally noticec Bouchers imput

Reactions: supermann_98

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Here's a bit of an explainer on the Leafs new hybrid d-zone coverage.

Looks a little more complicated than standard zone defense.

Nine goals in two games. I hope they figure it out soon. Before they play a good team like Carolina or New Jersey.

Anyone else think this directive came from Treliving?

Reactions: OddyOh

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Here's a bit of an explainer on the Leafs new hybrid d-zone coverage.

Looks a little more complicated than standard zone defense.

Nine goals in two games. I hope they figure it out soon. Before they play a good team like Carolina or New Jersey.

Anyone else think this directive came from Treliving?

Well even treliving couldn't have known brodie would be this bad
I mean he didn't resign him in Calgary but based on early returns I doubt he'd be a waiver claim

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Well even treliving couldn't have known brodie would be this bad
I mean he didn't resign him in Calgary but based on early returns I doubt he'd be a waiver claim

The whole defense looks pretty shaky actually.

Probably got something to do with these new systems. Personally I think having the defense skating all over the ice like that is gonna grind them down over the long schedule. Especially Brodie and Giordano.

One thing that didn't change is they didn't run a trap in the third even though they were laying a wicked beating on the Wild.

It's still all offense all the time.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Morning after takes:

- Hopefully it's just the team getting used to a new system because for at least the first two periods it was a shooting gallery in the Leafs' zone.
- Brodie looked like he fell off a cliff last year, so was hoping he'd rebound. So far he looks worse.
- Willie's gonna get paid.
- Tavares has 5 helpers but still so often he just seems invisible out there, always chasing the play.
- Maybe AM34 took issue with Connor taking the Rocket last year and has decided to take it back?

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
What concerns me is the little things like giving the 4th line the o-zone after a TV timeout. Happened 3-4 times last night.

Kampf does not look good at all.
Brodie looks Horrible.

Reactions: hullsy47

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
What concerns me is the little things like giving the 4th line the o-zone after a TV timeout. Happened 3-4 times last night.

Kampf does not look good at all.
Brodie looks Horrible.
Treliving was the last guy brodie wanted hired
He knows he is wasted cap space

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I will say if we have chosen to notably change the defensive structure of the team I’d have liked the coaching staff to play the vets more in preseason. That said, it’s hardly uncommon for team defensive structure to look loose and sloppy at the beginning of the season. And that goes for basically all teams

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
It amazes me how many people want Brodie gone. It's his last year under contract and possibly his last season ever. He came to Toronto so his family can be close to home. Detroit, Toronto, Buffalo are likely the only places he's willing to play at this point. Maybe Ottawa and Chicago.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
It sounds like somebody got the job that somebody else wanted.

A breakdown of the Leafs "new" power play formation.

I've noticed more teams are moving away from the 1-3-1. That includes the Leafs. It's probably a good idea.

Once everybody piles on doing the same thing it's usually a good time to try something new.

The Leafs were already experimenting last year. I liked what they started doing after they got scored on a couple times. They had Marner on the weak side, and Rielly patrolling the blue line, with Nylander, Tavares, and Matthews cycling the puck down low in the corner.

The objective was to set up Matthews for the shot from the slot.

They also used the umbrella formation with some success. Other things I've noticed them try previously was to put a guy behind the net. And I like how on a 5-3 they will stack three guys right at the top of the crease.

It's not uncommon for teams to experiment with different strategies to begin the season while they figure out what works and it's a little facetious of Han to imply anything different is being done here.

The whole "Boucher is smarter than me" thing reeks of a backhanded compliment too.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
The Leafs great defense is a myth.

They are 14th in GA, 16th in SA, 10th in HDSCA, and 17th in xGA.

The Leafs play an aggressive offensively focused high event game at both ends of the ice. The defensemen regularly lead the rush and make pinches. They focus on break outs with short outlet passes instead of stretch passes or dumps.

They still don't trap.

They run a 1-1-3 during line changes to prevent the other team from executing a stretch pass. Otherwise it's all offense all the time. They relentlessly push the puck forward towards the other teams net at all times.

When they run out of room they dump it.

The Leafs are a good puck retrieval team. So while they strive to exit their own defensive zone with possession they're ambivalent on how they enter the other teams zone. They dump the puck in a lot more than some fans might think for a possession team.

Once they enter into the other team's end they look to get setup in formation as quickly as possible.

Not rush shots. Cross seam passes in the slot. They don't have a net front presence instead preferring to dart in and out of the slot looking HDSC opportunities.

It's a high scoring, high risk/high reward, type system that is exciting to watch.

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
golden opportunity after yesterday to make coaching change! Guy Boucher is waiting.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Ignoring my hatred of the overpaid 4, coaching is also a problem. Look at all the recent cup winning coaches, they've all got that leader of men personality and are incredibly smart. What has Keefe done to show he's either of these things?

Someone like Berube has that and the don't f*** with me attitude. Now that's a leader. Cooper may not be physically imposing, but he's probably the smartest coach in the league and incredibly charismatic. Johnston, Bednar, Cassidy.. all give off similar vibes that Keefe doesn't.

Berube is obviously the only one available. And I'd love to have him. Problem is this Leafs roster is far from what he won with in St Louis. And as St Louis got away from that roster and more like this Leafs team (replacing guys like Pietrangelo and ROR with Krug and cryin' Kyrou), Berube lost his effectiveness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad