Post-Game Talk (GBU): #22 The Good (?), the Bad, and the Ugly

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The Good -

- Early pressure, all over them for a time.
- Making it close late.
- Foligno bringing a strong game late.
- Two goals! The bright side right?

The Bad -

- Ullmark on the second goal
- McCabe-Bogosian on the first goal
- Eichel's line defensively most of the night
- Disco Dan's player usage still boggles my mind

The Ugly -

- Passengers. So many passengers.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I only saw the third period, so this will probably be different from most. For the most part, I liked what I saw.

G:
- Risto, Bogo and Gorges are our best 3 defenceman
- Eichel had several good rushes, looked dangerous with the puck on his stick and did some nice PKing (though apparently the first 2 periods were bad?)
- ROR is a beast
- Kane looked really good
- Reinhart
- High intensity to the game

B:
- Stupid penalties

U:
- Cody Hodgson scored the game winner

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I only saw the third period, so this will probably be different from most. For the most part, I liked what I saw.

G:
- Risto, Bogo and Gorges are our best 3 defenceman
- Eichel had several good rushes, looked dangerous with the puck on his stick and did some nice PKing (though apparently the first 2 periods were bad?)
- ROR is a beast
- Kane looked really good
- Reinhart
- High intensity to the game

B:
- Stupid penalties

U:
- Cody Hodgson scored the game winner
Do yourself a favor and don't watch the first two periods.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Can we PLEASE kill the "drop pass at own blue line to guy to rush up the ice" thing on the PP? It failed miserably and then again on the 6-on-5. All it does is leave a bunch of people standing still at the blue line and create a 1-on-gazillion for the guy with the puck.

I don't understand this. Why do hockey coaches continue to think this is a good strategy? Because it works once in a blue moon?

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
I think we learned that Eichel needs to be with ROR.

I don't think he's up to the task of centring his own line yet, but I'd like to hear your guys' thoughts.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Brief and unorganized thoughts:

Veteran wingers are terrible. McG, Gionta, Moulson...these guys are not bringing it.

Speaking of Gionta, his 45 minutes of ice time might have been a few too many.

Eichel seems to be the only guy who can consistently carry the puck into the zone.

Officiating is so awful. I counted at least 3 Predators infractions in the final 6 that could have been called. You'd think the whole even-it-up philosophy they usually run with would work in the Sabres favor for once. Nope.

I've been generally neutral on Franson, but that tripping was absurd. Even Ray couldn't figure out what he was thinking.

Ullmark left high and dry for most of his time in net.

So sloppy in their own end. They should be embarrassed.

At the end of the first, I found myself wondering why we always seem to get the lesser brother: Foligno, Primeau, Gretzky....

This is a team that badly needs a 3 game road trip so that they can grind and grind and grind and hopefully win an ugly game.

The team, as a whole, seems to be doing a lot of drop passes. These need to stop.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
The Good -

- Early pressure, all over them for a time.
- Making it close late.
- Foligno bringing a strong game late.
- Two goals! The bright side right?

The Bad -

- Ullmark on the second goal
- McCabe-Bogosian on the first goal
- Eichel's line defensively most of the night
- Disco Dan's player usage still boggles my mind

The Ugly -

- Passengers. So many passengers.
add Eichel to that blunder take out McCabe and Bogosian.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
It's amazing what happens when Eichel actually skates to a part of the ice that you can actually score goals from in the NHL and is playing with a competent player. Seriously... just stick him with RoR on wing for the rest of the season, let him score 30 and then learn Center next season. He's not ready to be your 2nd line Center Dan, at least not the way you roll lines.

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY
ROR, Eichel, Reinhart: 18 goals
Rest of the forwards: 19 goals

Vets aren't good enough...they should be there to pick it up when the kids struggle, none of them are.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
ROR, Eichel, Reinhart: 18 goals
Rest of the forwards: 19 goals

Vets aren't good enough...they should be there to pick it up when the kids struggle, none of them are.

What a selective way to group forwards when Moulson has 4 goals just like Reinhart. Plus some youngsters are struggling to score like Girgs and Larsson.

SabresBillsBuffalo

May 4, 2010
Buffalo
Good-
Eichel getting one for his confidence.
ROR every night, if this team had any Pride they'd strip Gio C
Kane
Response and battle to try to climb back
Folignos heart
Girg

Bad
Officiating, 4-5 penalties by Preds in final 3-4 minutes.
Gionta EVERY NIGHT
Moulson every night
Defensive meltdowns
Gionta on PP, and getting 21:10, why did we draft Eichel and Reinhart for this guy to steal their icetime?
Bylsma coaching

Larrsson barely plays and you have him out there for crucial PP time at the point?

Kane at the point, he has a good shot but better off half wall.

No Girgensons on POWERPLAY***infuriates me.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Bylma is asked about Larsson sitting

"Last game was probably his best game". "Tonight his positional play wasn't good enough, etc"

Here's a thought Disco. Why not keep him at ****ing center where he is at is best and let him build off that last game. No that makes too much sense. Lets put him on the wing and then act shocked he struggled at times.

Bylmsa is clueless and its so frustrating watching his player usage.

SabresBillsBuffalo

May 4, 2010
Buffalo
If we were healthy and I was coach I wouldn't dress Gionta.

But since we know that would never happen.

I'd go

Eichel-ROR-Moulson(yes he's bad but it's whatever. He houses Eichel)
Kane-Reinhart-Ennis
Folingo-Girg-Des
Mcginn-legwand-Gionta

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY
What a selective way to group forwards when Moulson has 4 goals just like Reinhart. Plus some youngsters are struggling to score like Girgs and Larsson.

OK, the 3 key pieces aren't getting any help from the rest of the crap, that better?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I almost included him, then remembered the powerplay where he chipped it in and it was immediately fired out. Next rush was led by Eichel, who actually got in and created offense.

So based on one sequence you dismiss him? He's the best at gaining the zone on the team.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
OK, the 3 key pieces aren't getting any help from the rest of the crap, that better?

No. Its a pointless grouping of players.

Player usage/coaching decisions is killing this teams ability to score, particularly at ES.

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY
No. Its a pointless grouping of players.

Player usage/coaching decisions is killing this teams ability to score, particularly at ES.

Ok, where are you putting Zemgus/Larsson's combined 1 goal to get more out of them?

You're not entirely wrong about usage (GIONTAAAAAA) - but there's a lot of chaff on this roster still.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad