Rumor: 22-23 Reverse Retro 2.0 jersey will be a royal blue Buffaslug jersey...

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
giphy.gif

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Yess!!
I love the buffaslug. Best jersey ever.

While I'm not sure whether your response is legit or over the top sarcasm, it is certainly enthusiastic. Whichever the case, I can assert here that I am indeed a fan of the buffaslug.

As a fan of the Sabres since their first season, I waited with the rest of us for the unveiling of the new jerseys when the Sabres were moving into the new arena. I have to say that I was aghast to see a complete change in team colors and logo. I thought to move so dramatically away from what I felt was amongst the best colors, jerseys, and logos in the NHL to a clownish redesign in the colors of Adelphia Cable was nauseating and disappointing.

So when the return to blue and gold was announced I was pleased. When that change came along with the slug, I was more relieved about the return to blue and gold than I was disappointed that the original logo did not come with it. I found the slug to be just fine inasmuch as you could at least tell it was a buffalo and did not look like a goat head.

As I reflect back on the Sabres jersey and logo history, I'm very happy with the current royal blue. I still think that it's among the best in the league. My disdain for the goat head jersey is gone, as I look back with fondness on that era, the teams, and the success they had in the goat head jerseys. I'm happy that they are honoring it with third jersey status.

I think the only Sabres jersey I now really dislike is the turdburger. I thought that the idea of a gold third jersey was, and still is, intriguing. What I had hoped for was nothing like what it ended up being - which was just a mess - as well as a miss insofar as the potential. Maybe they'll do a gold jersey right at some point in the future.

For now, I'm happy the slug is making a return, hopefully in a well thought out jersey design.

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Off the top of my head, here are the potential Reverse Retro designs I would like to see:

1) Royal Blue Bottle Cap Bisons design
2) Original 70s jersey in Black/Red/Silver
3) Royal Blue Angry Goathead
4) Royal Blue B Sword logo jersey

Reactions: tsujimoto74

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
It is sad. But wasn't there a rumor that it would be a goat's head?

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
It is sad. But wasn't there a rumor that it would be a goat's head?

I'm pretty sure the goat head rumor was for the Sabres 3rd Jersey.

The slug rumor is for the NHL's Reverse Retro program which has been announced to return in the 2022-2023 season.

While neither rumor has been confirmed for this coming season, I'm not sure that the Sabres would be introducing a 3rd Jersey and a Reverse Retro Jersey in the same season

Reactions: Fjordy

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
While I'm not sure whether your response is legit or over the top sarcasm, it is certainly enthusiastic. Whichever the case, I can assert here that I am indeed a fan of the buffaslug.

As a fan of the Sabres since their first season, I waited with the rest of us for the unveiling of the new jerseys when the Sabres were moving into the new arena. I have to say that I was aghast to see a complete change in team colors and logo. I thought to move so dramatically away from what I felt was amongst the best colors, jerseys, and logos in the NHL to a clownish redesign in the colors of Adelphia Cable was nauseating and disappointing.

So when the return to blue and gold was announced I was pleased. When that change came along with the slug, I was more relieved about the return to blue and gold than I was disappointed that the original logo did not come with it. I found the slug to be just fine inasmuch as you could at least tell it was a buffalo and did not look like a goat head.

As I reflect back on the Sabres jersey and logo history, I'm very happy with the current royal blue. I still think that it's among the best in the league. My disdain for the goat head jersey is gone, as I look back with fondness on that era, the teams, and the success they had in the goat head jerseys. I'm happy that they are honoring it with third jersey status.

I think the only Sabres jersey I now really dislike is the turdburger. I thought that the idea of a gold third jersey was, and still is, intriguing. What I had hoped for was nothing like what it ended up being - which was just a mess - as well as a miss insofar as the potential. Maybe they'll do a gold jersey right at some point in the future.

For now, I'm happy the slug is making a return, hopefully in a well thought out jersey design.
Thanks for your eloquently worded recollections and to be honest, I haven't made up my mind, yet, how I actually meant my post, sarcastically or sincerely.

The slug to me does represent the Sabres president trophy season, the realistic possibility of a cup as well as the rise of Austria's first legitimate international hockey star. So I probably love it more than I hate it.

Reactions: Dex and cybresabre

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

The previous report was that it was an alternate and not the Reverse Retro jersey.

I'm pretty sure the goat head rumor was for the Sabres 3rd Jersey.

The slug rumor is for the NHL's Reverse Retro program which has been announced to return in the 2022-2023 season.

While neither rumor has been confirmed for this coming season, I'm not sure that the Sabres would be introducing a 3rd Jersey and a Reverse Retro Jersey in the same season
Gotcha

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Well, it was bound to happen. One day nostalgia comes for all your worst moments.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
The black and red old goathead jersey is going to be the full time alternate for next year and going forward with some minor tweaks to the logo to make it more clear.

We already used the swords in the previous RR, this only makes sense as they don't want to do a blue and gold goathead jersey to directly compete with their new alternate. Also it hasn't been rumored it will be the same jersey design, just the slug.

It'll only be worn 3-4 times and this is a opportunity to have some fun, like it or not the ugly jerseys are part of the history. Our 3 jersey lineup is fantastic enough to where I really don't care if we bring the slug back for a little occasion.

Reactions: Dex and sufferer

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The black and red old goathead jersey is going to be the full time alternate for next year and going forward with some minor tweaks to the logo to make it more clear.

We already used the swords in the previous RR, this only makes sense as they don't want to do a blue and gold goathead jersey to directly compete with their new alternate. Also it hasn't been rumored it will be the same jersey design, just the slug.

It'll only be worn 3-4 times and this is a opportunity to have some fun, like it or not the ugly jerseys are part of the history. Our 3 jersey lineup is fantastic enough to where I really don't care if we bring the slug back for a little occasion.
Plus, the AGH was the secondary logo last time out:

They need something completely different to push merch.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
"KEVYN, GET IN HERE"
"Yes Sir What Do you need Mr Pegula Sir"
"I just spoke with the Sabres Store, they discovered crates and crates of unsold Royal Blue Taylor Hall and Jack Eichel Jerseys and and shipping containers full of the old slug jerseys. Any ideas on how we can make money off of these?"
"I mean...."

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
"KEVYN, GET IN HERE"
"Yes Sir What Do you need Mr Pegula Sir"
"I just spoke with the Sabres Store, they discovered crates and crates of unsold Royal Blue Taylor Hall and Jack Eichel Jerseys and and shipping containers full of the old slug jerseys. Any ideas on how we can make money off of these?"
"I mean...."
If this wasn't something that adidas makes every single team do you may have a point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad