Prospect Info: 21st Overall Samuel Poulin, RW

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Ya know when I was leaving to head up to the rink, I realized, "oh man, this is a 3 on 3 scrimmage, do I really want to sit through that", knowing how little that situation transfers to real hockey. But I decided to go anyway, realizing that there would be facets of their game that you could really learn about it. Skating for sure, with that much open ice. Ability to make quick decisions. Hockey sense, and shot.

But as far as physicality goes, there is going to be no takeaways. The only hitting that was done, was basically unavoidable collisions. Whether by mandate or by nature of the open ice with 3 on 3 hockey, there was no hitting. It was basically a long drill in which they kept score.

So while I was tempted to praise Poulin for always driving to the net, I did not. Knowing that it's easy to do so when you know you are not going to be hit at all. And on Poulin, I think one of the reasons he was trying to beat so many players 1 v 1, was that early on, he seemed to always be playing against Austin Lemieux. And no offense to the big guy's kid, it was a mismatch. (which is understandable, as Austin, even in this setting, is just out of his depth). He couldn't turn and track Poulin well, and Poulin knew it and burned him several times.

So even with the praise I give Poulin, it really doesn't mean a whole lot, as we gotta see the next step, which will actually be playing in 5 on 5 situations, with real hitting. But we can only glean which was in front of us, knowing that we have snippets of takeaways, but hardly a full picture.

And for the goalies, I really didn't put much into their play at all, when they started to get lit up. As 3 on 3 is almost an impossible task to ask for a goalie.

That's totally fair. I guess I was wondering if Poulin was already playing like a kid who knows his strength and size and uses it to muscle through pressure more than hitting. But yeah, not a lot of opportunities for that in the 3v3. I guess we'll just have to wait for training camp.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
That's totally fair. I guess I was wondering if Poulin was already playing like a kid who knows his strength and size and uses it to muscle through pressure more than hitting. But yeah, not a lot of opportunities for that in the 3v3. I guess we'll just have to wait for training camp.
No, I gotcha. I think more often than not, he tried fancy stick handling, or deft passing, more than power moves. Guessing that was due more to the expansive amount of ice available. So overall, I would say, no, he really didn't use his size in that exercise.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Figured I'd give this a bump after his 8-point game.

Third line upside! :sarcasm: :laugh:

I kid, mostly. Scoring 8 in a game isn't a sign that he's going to be a sure thing top 6 winger, by any means, just saying that the potential is certainly there. Whether or not Poulin will realize it is an entirely different animal.

I remain intrigued and hopeful.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
They did say just "style of play" and not expected to be as good.

Was Making a joke about it in saying he does reach that potential

I get it. I just think when publications do that and then follow it up with saying, "style of play but not skill" you are taking away Marian Hossa. The dude is who he is because he was the most ravenous backchecker but could put up 50 goals and 100 pts a season. Literally call a prospect any other winger.

I hope to God, but I very much doubt Poulin will be anywhere close to Hossa offensively or defensively.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
P
I get it. I just think when publications do that and then follow it up with saying, "style of play but not skill" you are taking away Marian Hossa. The dude is who he is because he was the most ravenous backchecker but could put up 50 goals and 100 pts a season. Literally call a prospect any other winger.

I think it's just to give people an idea of how one plays. I know im always looking for comps and just take with grain of salt.

For example,Legare was comped to Anders Lee. Gives me something to look forward to

Not all of them are give a high end comp like that. I actually saw someone (forget who) comped to Oskar Sundqvist lol. Not that hes a bad player...but not exactly something to look forward to

As for Poulin, he is very solid on D as well as on offense. And hes the only one recently I've seen compared to Hossa. So im at least intrigued by that.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

I hope to God, but I very much doubt Poulin will be anywhere close to Hossa offensively or defensively.

I assume the comparison was made because of his size, IQ and playmaking ability from the wing?

I can see the comparisons stylistically, even the way they both skate and handle the puck.

It’s possible to play like someone stylistically, but not be anywhere near as productive/dominant.

ie I think Eichel looks a lot like Lemieux on the ice in many ways but ya know...

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Best thing is he (like Kapanen) comes from a family with NHL lineage. His Dad drafted 9th overall(wasnt as good as Sami Kapanen but still). Also like that he ups his game come playoff time.

Def a leader. And while he can play center...he will be a winger for one of Crosby/Geno. LW so maybe with Geno...(especially being more responsible defensively) while Legare plays 1RW.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Best thing is he (like Kapanen) comes from a family with NHL lineage. His Dad drafted 9th overall(wasnt as good as Sami Kapanen but still). Also like that he ups his game come playoff time.

Def a leader. And while he can play center...he will be a winger for one of Crosby/Geno. LW so maybe with Geno...(especially being more responsible defensively) while Legare plays 1RW.

My guess is that handedness aside, Poulin with Crosby and Legare with Malkin (should they make it) will make far more sense. Crosby already has a sniper; Malkin doesn't. What Crosby needs is a hard-hitting, defensively responsible, playmaking do-it-all high end guy to cover him and Guentzel and provide the ammo. One of the Poulin articles mentioned that Guerin texted Pat Brisson (Crosby's and Poulin's agent) asking whether he thought Crosby would like playing with Poulin; small tidbit I guess, but a good sign that the org's definitely thinking about trying to make him work with Guentzel/Crosby if he makes it.

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
My guess is that handedness aside, Poulin with Crosby and Legare with Malkin (should they make it) will make far more sense. Crosby already has a sniper; Malkin doesn't. What Crosby needs is a hard-hitting, defensively responsible, playmaking do-it-all high end guy to cover him and Guentzel and provide the ammo. One of the Poulin articles mentioned that Guerin texted Pat Brisson (Crosby's and Poulin's agent) asking whether he thought Crosby would like playing with Poulin; small tidbit I guess, but a good sign that the org's definitely thinking about trying to make him work with Guentzel/Crosby if he makes it.

That's what I wanted to go with just didn't due to Poulin being the LW and Legare RW.

But would def make more sense. And would love that 1st line. Assuming Galchenyuk works here...that 2nd line could be lethal as well.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I assume the comparison was made because of his size, IQ and playmaking ability from the wing?

I can see the comparisons stylistically, even the way they both skate and handle the puck.

It’s possible to play like someone stylistically, but not be anywhere near as productive/dominant.

ie I think Eichel looks a lot like Lemieux on the ice in many ways but ya know...

So what you're saying is Poulin is going to be as good as Hossa and Eichel will be as good as Lemieux?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

Plus, wasn't one of the scouting notes about Poulin how physical he is as well as a great playmaker? I'm not really sure the Hossa comparison fits, even if he were to reach that pretty lofty level of achievement. :laugh:

I love Hossa (his heel turn aside), but even at his peak Hossa was not a physical force, just a relentless two-way forward.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Plus, wasn't one of the scouting notes about Poulin how physical he is as well as a great playmaker? I'm not really sure the Hossa comparison fits, even if he were to reach that pretty lofty level of achievement. :laugh:

I love Hossa (his heel turn aside), but even at his peak Hossa was not a physical force, just a relentless two-way forward.

Yeah Hoss' physicality was more of him being able to take initial contact and not lose the puck. Very strong frame, that guy had. All time, you could find a winger who could score more, but you'll never find one more complete. I adore Hossa's game and think it's the truest sense of being a "hockey player."

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
His linemates look pretty dynamic from the highlights. Doesn't take anything away from him, but he isn't scoring completely on his own.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
His linemates look pretty dynamic from the highlights. Doesn't take anything away from him, but he isn't scoring completely on his own.

I remember people making a big deal of how Marner’s production was based on having two dynamic linemates in juniors as well, (Dvorak and Tkachuk) and people also using the reverse for those two guys.

Unless you are Lemieux, Crosby, McDavid generational level, you need good linemates to help you produce.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad