Pre-Game Talk: '21-22 Training Camp

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC

Figured I'd start a new thread for training camp/preseason discussion now that the roster is out. Hopefully they release a higher resolution version of the roster :/

Ah, full training camp roster and schedule are also included on this link: Canes Announce Training Camp Schedule and Roster

Get ready for Team Attitude vs Team Energy!

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Fair amount of turnover this offseason, and little to no opportunity for any prospects to crack the roster to start the season.

I don’t like this setup in most cases, and I’m not sure I like it this year either. But I understand the rationale.
The franchise has never been conducive to prospects making the team, at least in the last decade or so. There is usually a single slot, maybe two that JR/Francis/Waddell would allocate to rookies. But the vast majority of the time we've played it safe forever now.

And we've had various success with this strategy so you can't criticize too harshly.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The franchise has never been conducive to prospects making the team, at least in the last decade or so. There is usually a single slot, maybe two that JR/Francis/Waddell would allocate to rookies. But the vast majority of the time we've played it safe forever now.

And we've had various success with this strategy so you can't criticize too harshly.

We’ve seen a lot of rookies make the team and/or get lots of playing time the last 3 years. Svechnikov, Wallmark, Foegele, Necas, Zykov (didn’t last after making the squad in 18/19), Bean, Lorentz, Geekie, Ned. Most of those guys made the team, or at least taxi squad, out of camp.

problem now is that we are a better, deeper team so it’s harder for a rookie to crack the lineup. It’s going to take an injury, or a prospect completely blowing the doors off in camp this year for any rookie to make the squad.

Last edited:

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
We’ve seen a lot of rookies make the team and/or get lots of playing time the last 3 years. Svechnikov, Wallmark, Foegele, Necas, Zykov (didn’t last after making the squad in 18/19), Bean, Lorentz, Geekie, Ned. Most of those guys made the team, or at least taxi squad, out of camp.

problem now is that we are a better, deeper team so it’s harder for a rookie to crack the lineup. It’s going to take an injury, or a prospect completely blowing the doors off in camp this year for any rookie to make the squad.

Meh, a lot of this just banks on the NHL definition of “rookie”.

Like, Svechnikov and Necas were always going to make the team at some point, and Necas had 2 NHL cups of coffee and a dominant AHL season before he was penciled in to a spot. Foegele had an NHL cup of coffee in the season prior to making the team with a full, impressive year in the AHL as well. Bean, Lorentz, Geekie, Ned only really saw time due to injury and in a bottom line/pairing capacity (Ned was the opposite of “given” a spot, if anything we made him earn every scrap of playing time more than most of us would’ve liked).

I think the point is cogent that we don’t love penciling prospects in to the lineup. Of course eventually a rookie or two will make the team, every single NHL player has a rookie season on record. But the team just went on record saying “we think we need another top 9 forward” and went and offer sheeted a guy instead of letting Jarvis/Suzuki/Rees/etc. battle it out. I think that’s the point to be made, we haven’t been relying on prospects in our offseason plans to any significant degree.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Meh, a lot of this just banks on the NHL definition of “rookie”.

Like, Svechnikov and Necas were always going to make the team at some point, and Necas had 2 NHL cups of coffee and a dominant AHL season before he was penciled in to a spot. Foegele had an NHL cup of coffee in the season prior to making the team with a full, impressive year in the AHL as well. Bean, Lorentz, Geekie, Ned only really saw time due to injury and in a bottom line/pairing capacity (Ned was the opposite of “given” a spot, if anything we made him earn every scrap of playing time more than most of us would’ve liked).

I think the point is cogent that we don’t love penciling prospects in to the lineup. Of course eventually a rookie or two will make the team, every single NHL player has a rookie season on record. But the team just went on record saying “we think we need another top 9 forward” and went and offer sheeted a guy instead of letting Jarvis/Suzuki/Rees/etc. battle it out. I think that’s the point to be made, we haven’t been relying on prospects in our offseason plans to any significant degree.

Oh, I don't disagree with where they are right now. It's very situational, which is why I don't agree with the premise that it happens all the time.

First off, we've traded away almost all of our more seasoned "rookies" such as Roy, Gauthier, Kuokkanen, Luostarinen, etc. and the rest of them have already made the squad: Necas, Wallmark, Bean, Foegele, Zykov (didn't last), Ned, etc... It's probably why the only seasoned rookie (Keane) is in with the NHLrs in camp.

So now our prospect pool is filled with a bunch of guys with little to no AHL experience and/or not a top 5 pick like Svech, so the chances of them making the jump is much less. Rightfully so as we want them to marinate.

Secondly, the team is in a different spot than it was 3-4 years ago. It was much easier for a rookie to make the squad because we were a bad team with a lot of holes coming off 10 years of no playoffs, particularly after Rask got injured before the season. A rookie could make that team more easily. Now, the team is much better, much deeper and has cup aspirations so finding a rookie that can fill a spot is a much harder proposition than it was a couple years ago.

In the end, I agree (as I stated), that it's unlikely a rookie makes this team barring an injury or someone blows the doors off in camp (and even then it's unlikely) for the reasons I stated above. The split of players in camp makes perfect sense to me given that.

Most good teams don't pencil in a lot of rookies unless they are exceptional, have a lot of experience, and/or they have cap concerns that force it, so I don't think the Canes are any different in that regards.

EDIT: It's interesting how we went from inserting rookies right away under the JR regime, to draft and develop (let them marinate) under Francis, to trade away "marinated rookies" for NHL players under the current regime.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Hopefully RBA comes to his senses and flips Niederreiter and Svechnikov, doing that, I think those lines are just about perfect

Last year in that 1 day of camp some people freaked out when Necas was on the 3rd line. Things will change a 100 times between now, the end of camp, the middle of the season and the end of the season.

If the lines do end up staying this way, the rationale might be that each line now has the top 3 offensive players on it. Line 1: Aho, Line 2: TT, Line 3: Svech. Those 3 are the ones that can drive play and create scoring on their own, the rest of the players haven't yet shown that or are more complimentary players.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I find it funny, cause not too long ago I pointed out that nobody had posted lines with Svech playing with Jordo amongst all the completely useless line combos posted, which was a lock to happen at some point as much as it did last year. The posters here are the guys that never learn. And as per usual, it doesn't matter because it will change as needed.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I find it funny, cause not too long ago I pointed out that nobody had posted lines with Svech playing with Jordo amongst all the completely useless line combos posted, which was a lock to happen at some point as much as it did last year. The posters here are the guys that never learn. And as per usual, it doesn't matter because it will change as needed.
*fart noise*

ruining an overreaction is a buzz kill

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad