Olympics: 2026 Team Sweden Defence

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
What could Sweden's defence look like in 2026, when the Hedmans of the league are past their best days?

Twist: choose only defencemen that were drafted from 2016-2020. These guys will be in their primes come the 2026 Winter Olympics. Taking handedness into account, my picks would be:

LD - RD

Dahlin-Liljegren
Broberg-Boqvist
Björnfot-Söderström
Brännström

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
I think a 35-year-old Hedman is still going to be an elite defenseman.

In 5 years:
Hedman will be 35
Karlsson will be 35
Klingberg will be 33
Klefbom will be 32
Ekhlom will be 35
OEL will be 34
Lindholm will be 31
Brodin will be 32

If I were to guess, I'd bet on Hedman, Karlsson, Klingberg, Klefbom, Lindholm all still being plenty good enough. Dahlin is a shoe-in, so that leaves one spot for a Broberg/Boqvist/Soderstrom/Bjornfot/Brannstrom/Sandin. I'm not saying only one of them makes it, just that we're only getting a bare minimum of 1 and you went way too heavy on the prospects.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Some more players will definitely emerge between now and then. Right now, probably Dahlin, Hedman, Soderstrom, Broberg, Boqvist for sure. Edvinssom maybe. Brodin/Lindholm very wel could still be very good players. They’re in a good spot

sportsfan944804

Aug 7, 2020
Hedman, Karlsson, Klingberg, OEL, and Dahlin are probably all locks even in 2026. Klefbom is probably done as a player already due to his shoulder.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
Guys, please read the OP:

choose only defencemen that were drafted from 2016-2020.

If I were to guess, I'd bet on Hedman, Karlsson, Klingberg, Klefbom, Lindholm all still being plenty good enough. Dahlin is a shoe-in, so that leaves one spot for a Broberg/Boqvist/Soderstrom/Bjornfot/Brannstrom/Sandin. I'm not saying only one of them makes it, just that we're only getting a bare minimum of 1 and you went way too heavy on the prospects.

It may turn out as you say, particularly if the older crop ages gracefully over the next 6 years, or the younger guys fail to meet their potential. But that is not the premise of this thread.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Just realized there were no Swedish D taken in the first round this year. For 2026 I’d do:

Dahlin - Liljegren
Broberg - Soderstrom
Bjornfot - Boqvist

Sweden probably has the best crop coming up for 2026, when these guys will be 25/26 years old.

Hedman will be 35
Karlsson will be 35
Klingberg will be 33
Klefbom will be 32
Ekhlom will be 35
OEL will be 34
Lindholm will be 31
Brodin will be 32

If I were to guess, I'd bet on Hedman, Karlsson, Klingberg, Klefbom, Lindholm all still being plenty good enough.

Good enough for the old yeller treatment :sarcasm:Get these geezers outta here.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I guess it's the handedness difference in this case, but as a Leafs fan I think Sandin is much more likely to be a talent worthy of a future Olympic team compared to Liljegren.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
In 5 years:
Hedman will be 35
Karlsson will be 35
Klingberg will be 33
Klefbom will be 32
Ekhlom will be 35
OEL will be 34
Lindholm will be 31
Brodin will be 32
Wow... Where did the time go?

Last edited:

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Alright, aside from Dahlin, which Swedish defencemen drafted 2016-2020 have already proven themselves in the NHL?

Brannstrom has proven he is too small for the NHL.

Boqvist has proven he still doesn’t know how to defend. Five years might be enough time to sufficiently improve in that area.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Brannstrom has proven he is too small for the NHL.

Boqvist has proven he still doesn’t know how to defend. Five years might be enough time to sufficiently improve in that area.
I'm with you, 40 games is a great measuring stick for 19, & 20 year olds. If you aren't in your prime by then you better head to Italy, but even that might be too good for you, Kent Nilsson played in that league, and you aint Kentan!!!

Reactions: HzH

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Guys, please read the OP:

It may turn out as you say, particularly if the older crop ages gracefully over the next 6 years, or the younger guys fail to meet their potential. But that is not the premise of this thread.
Ah. I read the premise as being a prediction for the 2026 olympic team. My bad.

In that case, I think you put the lesser of two Swedish Leafs D prospects on your roster. So that'a an area to fix.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Although it's fun to speculate on, since the NHL is in charge of all international competition that matters, we won't see any international competition that matters for a long time. It's like we're back into the cold war and the 70s. Thanks NHL, you make sure no one can miss the cold war era. It's the Murican way!

Reactions: DowJones

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Although it's fun to speculate on, since the NHL is in charge of all international competition that matters, we won't see any international competition that matters for a long time. It's like we're back into the cold war and the 70s. Thanks NHL, you make sure no one can miss the cold war era. It's the Murican way!
New CBA has NHL players able to participate in next 2 olympics. Of course, players had to bargain for that right.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I'm with you, 40 games is a great measuring stick for 19, & 20 year olds. If you aren't in your prime by then you better head to Italy, but even that might be too good for you, Kent Nilsson played in that league, and you aint Kentan!!!

35m82g.jpg

Reactions: Lewy

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
I have given up a bit on Karlsson. Hedman at 35? If he can stay out of injuries, he will be a great team Captain.

Klingberg fore sure.

OEL...

I think Larsson is a player team Sweden like so him as well.

Dahlin will be there.

From this WJC? Hard to say...maybe one of Söderström or Broberg.

GREENs Guardian

Dec 14, 2010
Canada
Hedman, Karlsson, Klingberg, OEL, and Dahlin are probably all locks even in 2026. Klefbom is probably done as a player already due to his shoulder.
Completely ridiculous take. Locks 6 years from now? To believe this is to display a complete lack of understanding for player development and how strong the youth are in the swedish hockey system. Completely preposterous take, had to read it over three times to make sure my vision hadnt gone.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I guess it's the handedness difference in this case, but as a Leafs fan I think Sandin is much more likely to be a talent worthy of a future Olympic team compared to Liljegren.

As a guy who saw most of their AHL/NHL games last year, I disagree.

Sandin is a ‘safe’ prospect who is a good bet to become a middle pairing D in the NHL one day, possibly a little bit more than that with some luck. That said, he has no elite qualities that are required to be an Olympic level defenceman on a powerhouse roster. He is below average in size, average to above average in skating, average to below average defensively. Short of a massive injury crisis to Tre Kronor, I don’t ever see Sandin playing on Sweden’s Olympic roster.

Liljegren on the other hand has some elite tools, including his skating, hands, and stretch passes. He is bigger and faster than Sandin. Though a less ‘safe’ prospect than Sandin, if Liljegren reaches close to his potential he can definitely play on the right side for Sweden one day.

I do agree with your point about handedness though. Having Dahlin pinned ahead of him on the left side makes life a lot tougher on Sandin relative to Liljegren.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Congrats to Liljgren to go from demoted to ECHL couple of years ago to a first pairing olympian baby!!!

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

Frozen Lake

Nov 20, 2020
Broberg has looked terrible recently - I truly dont understand the hype there. Simply because hes Swedish?

Hes been one of Sweden's worst players by far this tournament

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad