2026 best on best?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I think that defense is a weakness. After Heiskanen it drops off a lot.

I also think that the forward group aside from the centers and Mikko Rantanen is pretty weak as well.
In the last few years I think Russia's defense has surpassed them. Heiskanen is the best defenseman of the two teams, but I think Russia has a better supporting cast on defense.
Agreed but maybe the Finnish prodigies in Kakko and Kiviharju will save them?
Then again, virtually everyone has weaknesses, so they could still end up the winners.
The big if is goaltending and how seriously the guys take it, after all it's replacing the all star game not the Olympics.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
There’s a lot of people saying they wont watch 2025….we’ll see.
The bar is how many people watch the NHL all star game.

This is from the 2023 all star game.

Per a release from ESPN, the game drew 1.497 million viewers. That marks a healthy 31% increase from the shocking viewership of 1.146 million last year, which was the least-watched edition of the game since the NHL’s Versus years.

So the bar is really low here.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

Pretty accurate.. also, pretty depressing. We are improving but we are not there and no guarantee we ever will be. 2030 needs a lot of 16 to 19 year olds to make the NHL.lol

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
There are only 72 players born in the 1980s (born 12/31/89) left that have appeared in a minimum of 1 NHL game this season.

A player born in the 80s will be at a minimum aged 36 come 12/31/2025, so other than a rare exception here or there (Crosby maybe) the tournament should feature almost all players born 90s/00s.

Interesting to look at World Junior results in that time (starting with 2010 when the 1990 births were 19 year olds) for somewhat of a proxy of what it may look like to try and handicap.

15 tournaments

Canada: 5 Gold, 4 Silver, 1 Bronze, 2 Fourth, 3 Pre-Semi Exits
United States: 4 Gold, 1 Silver, 4 Bronze, 0 Fourth, 5 Pre-Semi Exits
Finland: 3 Gold, 1 Silver, 1 Bronze, 3 Fourth, 7 Pre-Semi Exits
Russia: 1 Gold, 4 Silver, 4 Bronze, 1 Fourth, 2 Pre-Semi Exits, 3 Did Not Participate
Sweden: 1 Gold, 4 Silver, 3 Bronze, 5 Fourth, 2 Pre-Semi Exits
Czechia: 0 Gold, 1 Silver, 1 Bronze, 2 Fourth, 11 Pre-Semi Exits
Slovakia: 0 Gold, 0 Silver, 1 Bronze, 0 Fourth, 14 Pre-Semi Exits
Switzerland: 0 Gold, 0 Silver, 0 Bronze, 2 Fourth, 13 Pre-Semi Exits

No other country has made the Semis (in that time or ever).

Some considerations - based on the CHL-Transfer Agreement, Canada loses by far the most junior-aged players to the NHL, the US players often have good familiarity together from the USNDTP, European countries have national teams that will play together a lot during the course of a season as well in progressing age groups. Canadians probably have the least familiarity together, but there is a "Program of Excellence" to bring players under the national team umbrella starting at U17 so they rarely start totally from scratch. And on the other side of it, Canada also hosts a lot. That being said, I think this is a decent proxy for how you can view countries in terms of likelihood of success for a best on best 2026 olympics, which will heavily consist of players that played on one or more of the junior national teams over the years.

Smaller hockey countries (Germany and Switzerland come to mind) have a better shot when it comes to non-age restricted senior teams of pulling off an upset. While it's hard for them to produce 14 good players per age group that you need to have success at junior level, producing 1-2 per year scattered across 15 different age groups that can hang in there with anyone is less demanding of an ask. You only need 23 players, not 200, with the top half of your roster having a disproportionate impact (and you can just hope your 4th line/third pair types can get by enough to survive their shifts against the all-star caliber teams).

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Czechia: 0 Gold, 1 Silver, 1 Bronze, 2 Fourth, 11 Pre-Semi Exits
I'll add... that silver and bronze are the last w WJ tourneys so those players will be 20 to 22 when the Olympics begin. Not many impactful 20 to 22 year olds at a best on best Olympics. Definitely exceptions but you really need that 23 to 28 age group to be strong.

And when you look at the Czech roster it shows exactly why we are in trouble.lol

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010

Pretty accurate.. also, pretty depressing. We are improving but we are not there and no guarantee we ever will be. 2030 needs a lot of 16 to 19 year olds to make the NHL.lol

Depressing indeed. :(

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Depressing indeed. :(
That D core is brutal in 2026...

Gudas, Rutta, Kempny will all be two years older and I can't see any of them being better than they are today.

Hajek I can't see being better and I'm not sure he is that good now.lol

Hronek, jiricek and svozil should all be very good.

Same with forwards... Sedlak and Kase may not be very effective at all. Kubalik may be back in Europe. Same with Lauko. Palat two years older. Pasta will be 30.

We are on trouble.lol

Reactions: Swipes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad