WJC: 2025 World Junior Championships

B Boarding

Feb 26, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
Are you sure? Tardif's comments suggested they weren't opposed to it. It didn't sound either like there's some pre-condition regarding the war ending to bring them back, although he wouldn't be the one making those decisions and he's only the figurehead that speaks for the voting federations.

It sounds like there will be a vote next month.
No other European nation will allow Russia to participate. If Russia somehow is brought back in, it will be a tournament without Sweden, Finland, Czechia etc. And that won't happen, so likely Russia will have to wait until they lose the war or they will have to wait more or less forever. The war will probably linger for almost another 10 years, so that is a minimum before Russia potentially is back.

Reactions: xyzed and THE JAM

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
No other European nation will allow Russia to participate. If Russia somehow is brought back in, it will be a tournament without Sweden, Finland, Czechia etc. And that won't happen, so likely Russia will have to wait until they lose the war or they will have to wait more or less forever. The war will probably linger for almost another 10 years, so that is a minimum before Russia potentially is back.
Leaving aside the the war comments as I'm not trying to debate that here, but I'm trying to understand how the decision-making works on Russia being allowed back or not.

Does every IIHF country get a vote, is it only the top division countries with a vote, or do they come to a mutual decision? It might not matter what any one federation thinks, and if the IIHF president is saying this it suggests there's a possibility it could happen. He would've just said they aren't going to be allowed back if there was no chance.

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Leaving aside the the war comments as I'm not trying to debate that here, but I'm trying to understand how the decision-making works on Russia being allowed back or not.

Does every IIHF country get a vote, is it only the top division countries with a vote, or do they come to a mutual decision? It might not matter what any one federation thinks, and if the IIHF president is saying this it suggests there's a possibility it could happen. He would've just said they aren't going to be allowed back if there was no chance.
It’s a good question, I’d like to understand the decision making process as well. What are the rules here? But whatever it is, there is ZERO chance that we (Czechs), Finnland or Sweden (at the very least - I do not know the positions of the other European countries one way or another) will accept playing against Russia while they are still waging their aggressive war, so whatever the decision-making process is, from a practical perspective it is hard to imagine the IIHF will force a situation where many European nations will boycott international tournaments.

Reactions: wetcoast

Pan

Apr 11, 2017
Minsk

The ban was imposed and later extended by the IIHF Council so I'm sure that lifting the ban is in Council's power as well.
Council members are from Sweden, Finland, Czechia, Denmark, Latvia, Poland, Hungary, Italy, Switzerland, Canada, Germany, France, Kyrgyzstan and Russia. Council makes decisions by a majority of its members.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
They will re-claim their spot in all divisions. They may go to 12 teams for one year only.
U18 did that as Canada didn't join the tournament originally when tourney started in 1999. Canada came in 2002 and got the spot on the top division, the worst team in 2001 didn't get relegated after all. Then three teams were relegated in that tournament.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
There was the IIHF Congress decision in 2022 that once Russia and Belarus are allowed to participate they would return to the categories and divisions in which they were originally placed before the ban.

See the article at the link below.

This makes more sense and is a solid decision.

It’s a good question, I’d like to understand the decision making process as well. What are the rules here? But whatever it is, there is ZERO chance that we (Czechs), Finnland or Sweden (at the very least - I do not know the positions of the other European countries one way or another) will accept playing against Russia while they are still waging their aggressive war, so whatever the decision-making process is, from a practical perspective it is hard to imagine the IIHF will force a situation where many European nations will boycott international tournaments.
I agree and the most practical and likely thing to happen is to not see those 2 teams back until after the war and some peace arrangement is in place.

Reactions: Old Man Jags

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3